Hello eveybody, I'm an addict

New to DCAWD? Looking for someone, see someone, found a spotted card or just want to say hi? Come on in!

Moderator: Moderators

water_fiend
I'm a n000b

Hello eveybody, I'm an addict

Post by water_fiend »

Hello, my name is Eric, and I'm an addict. I'm addicted to my 08 DGM STI and spending money on it. No matter what I do, I just can't seem to stop. I realize this may not be the best place to come to about my addiction, but what the hey, if you can't beat 'em join 'em. I just moved up to the area about a month and a half ago, and hopefully I'll be able to make the next meet.

So far I haven't gone too crazy, but it is just the beginning of a hopefully long and beautiful relationship. I put in the Super Shift kit from TiC (short shifter and all bushings). I've got some nice shiny RallyArmor mudflaps, a clearbra to protect my gal's paint, and a nice and tasteful (at least I think so) tint job. And of course, the must have Cobb AP. Within the next month or so I'm planning on going with front and rear sways and whatever N-group bushings I can afford.

So yeah, glad to be here, and hopefully you guys won't be TOO encouraging in my ever ongoing quest to go broke.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Hello eveybody, I'm an addict

Post by Sabre »

You have definitely come to the WRONG place ;)

Welcome to the boards and hopefully a meet soon! We're a friendly sort around here, but we'll probably be a bad influence! Especially the good Doctor... he has a habit of finding good deals on parts.... and then there is the mad scientist Zak, he'll just tell you to inject strange liquids into your car :rolllaugh:

Welcome and enjoy the trip :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

water_fiend wrote:So yeah, glad to be here, and hopefully you guys won't be TOO encouraging in my ever ongoing quest to go broke.
we make no promises, although if you get some advice from drwrx, you'll feed your addiction with quality stuff while not breaking the bank

ps - welcome
-Ben
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Hi Eric, and welcome.
Step one is admitting you have an addiction.
check
Step two is finding a support group
check
Step three is setting your goals for said addiction (say 400 whp/ lb/ft)

(the rest of the steps just involve enjoying said addiction until it destroys your life or something like that)
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

welcome to the boards. 8)

take your time and research each mod. you'll spend less and have a better quality ride in the end. :wink:
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

The scientist part of 'mad scientist' suggest that I follow some scientific method. The closest thing to that I have is "did it brake yet?".

Hi Eric. Just like any internet experience, don't believe everything that you read. So that is why you have to come out and meet a few, get it straight from the source.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Welcome! Mod bug bites and there is no cure...like was stated, only thing you can do is make the right choices :wink:
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

drwrx wrote:Hi Eric, and welcome.
Step one is admitting you have an addiction.
check
Step two is finding a support group
check
Step three is setting your goals for said addiction (say 400 whp/ lb/ft)

(the rest of the steps just involve enjoying said addiction until it destroys your life or something like that)
I just want to quote what the good Dr. has said. He is wise beyond his years. Welcome and go for 400! :drive:
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

Sabre wrote:We're a friendly sort around here, but we'll probably be a bad influence!
Well, you're half right. ;)

Welcome to the District of Columbia - All Wheel Drive (DCAWD) car enthusiast club. We hope you'll enjoy your time time with us. PLEASE NOTE: By accepting our User Agreement your vehicle is now the property of DCAWD LLC. With that, any modification we tell you to make to your vehicle must be performed in a timely and efficient manner lest you face legal consequences. And no, DCAWD will not pay for these modifications. If you do not have the money for the modifications we order you sell to your other possessions or turn tricks in the District to obtain the necessary funds.

Again, welcome to DCAWD. All your base are belong to us!

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
water_fiend
I'm a n000b

Post by water_fiend »

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I've already been putting aside money for mods, so hopefully no more selling of my body on the street corners. Luckily, I seem to have left that chapter of my life behind.

My main goal now is to be able to go fast around corners, so suspension mods it is. Maybe I'll toss a stage 2 with a pro tune into the mix so I can help feed my power craving. A lot of it will depend upon what my mood is and what kind of deals I can find.

Well, I guess I should probably stop procrastinating, finish my beer, and get back to work. Or, the more likely option is I will open another beer and surf the internet looking for amazing car parts deals that will cause me to go broke. I think I like option #2 better.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

water_fiend wrote:My main goal now is to be able to go fast around corners, so suspension mods it is.
How "fast around corners" do you want to go? If you just want to improve the sharpness, response and tightness of the car for occasional track/autocross days, a set of springs and sways would likely be enough. If your thinking you want serious adjustability and significant track time improvement, think coilovers, and think about dropping around $1,500+ and having them corner balanced with a proper alignment.
water_fiend wrote:Maybe I'll toss a stage 2 with a pro tune into the mix so I can help feed my power craving. A lot of it will depend upon what my mood is and what kind of deals I can find.
Now you have come to the right place! Let me state my Prescription for a proper stage 2:
1. If your going to keep your turbo and you want a cat in your exhaust think about a shorty down-pipe (Stromung $200, MacDad $240) keep your mid-cat pipe and get whatever cat-back you like. The mid-pipe cat is the least restrictive cat in the car and is furthest down the line. Yes, a metal substrate cat will flow (slightly) more, but it will not likely affect your power more than a couple whp. and a catted downpipe with the cat at the end (such as Cobb's) costs some serious coin (over $500).
2. If you are going catless, grab any cheap catless downpipe you can find (ebay specails are just fine) and get whatever cat-back you like. Do NOT pay more than $150 for a catless downpipe.
3. If you are planing on getting a tune get an intake. A cold air will add the most power w/o question, but some can be a bit tricky to tune so talk to your tuner. If you just want to add safe power, an SPT or K&N intake will add about 8-12 whp / lb/ft with no tune needed. And even more if tuned properly.
4. If you want an extra 12-18 whp and 14-22 lb/ft get some headers. Equal length add a bit more power cross the board, but cost significantly more. Your choice.

All of the aforementioned pieces can be had on the cheap (especially if you watch for used pieces) and are fairly easy to install.
If you purchased all the parts at once, they could all be installed in a day.
OK, that is it for my spiel. I will speak no more of this.
water_fiend wrote:Well, I guess I should probably stop procrastinating, finish my beer, and get back to work. Or, the more likely option is I will open another beer and surf the internet looking for amazing car parts deals that will cause me to go broke. I think I like option #2 better.
I vote for option #2 as well. Picking your work over your car is just wrong.