back in a Suby again

New to DCAWD? Looking for someone, see someone, found a spotted card or just want to say hi? Come on in!

Moderator: Moderators

PGT
DCAWD Groupie

back in a Suby again

Post by PGT »

The MINI is parted out and sold. Took delivery of an STI on Saturday. Let the modding begin....

these just magically appeared at my office today:

:dropgob:
2013 BMW 328i M Sport with 8sp in Estoril Blue II
2012 Chrysler 300C SRT8 - Always bet on black
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: back in a Suby again

Post by complacent »

Just out of curiosity, what were the motives behind ditching the mini? I followed your buildup and was really impressed with the end results.

Oh yea, welcome back to the boxxers!
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Pretty! (both the car and the wheels)

That's a hell of a first mod. Aren't those like $540 a wheel?
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

complacent wrote:Just out of curiosity, what were the motives behind ditching the mini? I followed your buildup and was really impressed with the end results.

Oh yea, welcome back to the boxxers!
thanks! I wasn't driving the MINI much and tuning issues were driving me nuts. I stopped one day and ran a tally of mods and what I could get for them and also trade-in on the car. I could pay cash for a new STI, sell my '01 Cherokee and have $$$ left to mod. Seemed a simple decision.

This new STI is as fun stock as the MINI was modded, well, except for the seats. Recaros > *

As for the wheels....yes, pricey. I didn't pay that much though :rolllaugh: 19x8.5. I'll try and put one on a scale tomorrow....from lifting it out of the box, it's much lighter than stock, that's for sure.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

oh snap!

congrats!

since i never got a ride in the 1G corner carving midget car, i *must* have a ride in the sti.
-Ben
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

absolutely. I'll try to make it out to a meet soon
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

Wheels are 20.8lbs each. Going on tomorrow...tires are being delivered today. They'll come off as soon as they're for summer and I just want to see how bad fitment is. I plan to run coilovers and camber plates to help with fitment - we'll see how it works out in the spring when they go back on.

Other stuff just arrived....STI Sport Grille, Homelink mirror, Accessport, Tanabe underbrace, JDM double DIN panel. On the way - Pioneer F90BT, Cobb DP and euro armrest cubby thing (usable storage vs. the ghetto scissor extension SOA sells).

After nearly two weeks...this car is damned impressive. even with the F1 A/S tires I had swapped on the stock boat anchors.

My only gripes so far - the interior carpet is as bad as my '05 LGT - I'll need to find a solution before I wear a hole in the transmission tunnel like in the LGT (size 13 shoes = trouble). Also...the steering wheel sits too low for my taste, even at it's highest setting and seat at the lowest. Looking at the seat design, there's not really a solution I can see besides swapping them for Recaro's or something similar. We'll see....EVO X MR seats would be perfect but are scarce.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

PGT wrote: We'll see....EVO X MR seats would be perfect but are $texas.
fickst. :eek:
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

that too. might be more betterer to pick up some EVO 8 seats cheap and spend $$ at the upholstery shop to get them to match the STI.
snaab
DCAWD Groupie

Post by snaab »

The choice between a Mini and a Suby is a tough one. Good decision!
RJ
'13 Mazda3
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

we've had two MINI's and the STI is our third Subaru. They're all fun....pros and cons for each. If I were a rich man.....
snaab
DCAWD Groupie

Post by snaab »

I'm dying to get into an Elise as soon as possible, myself. People keep suggesting that it's too small, but coming from a Miata, it's not changing much in terms of luggage capacity.
RJ
'13 Mazda3
wrxSIN
Bicycle

Post by wrxSIN »

nice. your mini was damn sexy though.
ilike2startnewthreads

PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

Thanks. The MINI was fun and if finances were different, I'd have kept it. The MINI, the Cherokee on 33's, the STI and wife's FX would make a nice stable but alas being in a townhome means parking is a challenge even though we have a two car garage and room for four in the driveway.

Here's the latest on teh STI...new wheels went on. They look good even at stock height so they'll definitely look nice once it's lowered and -2 camber is adjusted.

PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

I need to spend some time on the car this weekend, if I'm feeling better. Between this damned virus/cold thing and helping my parents out on their basement, not much time to do anything on the car. I've got a stack of parts for it....first order of business is the Homelink mirror and AVIC in the dash. Next, horns and new grille. I've got a DP and AP but will probably wait on Stg II until spring. Maybe just the reflash for now.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Were you planning on a dyno tune along with the reflash? I've been reading about some crazy power levels vs piston ring strength. Thoughts?
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

at this point, it's unclear what the issues are with respect to the failures. bad stock tune? yes. bad rings? mebbe. Others have mentioned some substandard finishing work done on the cranks causing debris to foul the oil supply (SOA's TSB on the reflash reinforces this - requires oil to be checked for contaminants). It appears to be any number of things....all working together.

so, no, no protune initially. I'll do some dyno pulls with afr once doing the AP install though to confirm things are working as they should.