New guy here - red 9-2X Aero

New to DCAWD? Looking for someone, see someone, found a spotted card or just want to say hi? Come on in!

Moderator: Moderators

chuck92ex
I'm a n000b

New guy here - red 9-2X Aero

Post by chuck92ex »

Found my way here via Jeremy who is also on Saab92x.com. Also, a month or so ago someone from DCAWD left a card in my windshield (I was parked just off Wilson Boulevard near Listrani's in Arlington). Not sure what the demographic of DCAWD is, but I'm the proverbial "old guy" (half century next year). One thing I'm hoping I might find by being part of this crowd is a welder. I just picked up a 07 WRX UP off of NASIOC as the last major mod I intend to do to my car. I'm told that the welds on heatshields on STi/WRX UPs are prone to cracking. If there's someone here who can reinforce the welds (apparently easy and quick to do), please give me a shout. Thanx!
chicken n waffles

Re: New guy here - red 9-2X Aero

Post by chicken n waffles »

welcome to the forums. try to make it out to one of our meets.

AND PICS OF THE SAABARU!
-Ben
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

welcome aboard. 8)

are you worried about the welds on heat shields on a factory UP? I've never heard of bad welds on factory pipes. Bosal pipes on the other hand... :roll: I wish I knew how to weld. one day, when I own my own house I'm gonna learn.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

hello and welcome :)

The shields are basically tacked on at the top and bottom flanges - it isn't very sturdy at all.

I would think the best way to secure them to the up pipe would be to add more material around the circumference of where the shield meets the flange.

Had I the tools, I would have attempted it myself.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
chuck92ex
I'm a n000b

Post by chuck92ex »

Thanks for the welcome. Here's a thread I started on saab92x.com (I'm shooter over there) about where to reinforce the heatshield welds (NOTE: not talking about the pipe welds, but the welds that attach the heatshield to the pipe).

http://saab92x.com/viewtopic.php?id=21381

And some pics (will hopefully have a set of BBS RK wheels on in another week or two).

Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

Yay! New people! I leik neu peeple. :crazy: New people still give me the benefit the doubt. :D

Welcome to the boards! Nice Saabaru you got there. You'll have to bring it out to the meet on Thursday.

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
chuck92ex
I'm a n000b

Post by chuck92ex »

I'll keep an eye out for when/where the meets are. But I'll be honest and say now that it's not likely that I'll make any of them. They'll probably be when it's family time for me.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Is that your Kawi in your avatar?
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

is that a subiegal gauge pod by your a-pillar? i had one in my sti. i found that the fitment wasn't perfect, but damn close.
-Ben
Bluestreak2006
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Bluestreak2006 »

Chuck that was me who put the card on your windshield. Clean 9-2x. So i'm glad you found your way here. I train at the martial arts place right next door on Wilson.
Jay

11 STI Hatch
"Wagon Mafia"
Stage 1 Baby
goob_os101
DCAWD Groupie

Post by goob_os101 »

92x's unite! :ohsnap:
chuck92ex
I'm a n000b

Post by chuck92ex »

complacent wrote:Is that your Kawi in your avatar?
No, it's a school bike for California Superbike School at VIR earlier this year. My street ride is a silver '07 CBR600RR.
chuck92ex
I'm a n000b

Post by chuck92ex »

chicken n waffles wrote:is that a subiegal gauge pod by your a-pillar? i had one in my sti. i found that the fitment wasn't perfect, but damn close.
Yes it is. I found the fitment not be perfect either. Here's a thread on saab92x.com about me installing the boost gauge and pod.

http://saab92x.com/viewtopic.php?id=21218
chuck92ex
I'm a n000b

Post by chuck92ex »

Bluestreak2006 wrote:Chuck that was me who put the card on your windshield. Clean 9-2x. So i'm glad you found your way here. I train at the martial arts place right next door on Wilson.
Hi Jay! We were at Listrani's that night for dinner with friends and all our kids. I remember seeing your blue (love that color) Subie. Which martial arts do you do? My daughter (just turned 9) is actually a recent black belt in tae kwon do. Unfortunately, she fell and broke (fractured) her elbow 5 weeks ago. She just got out of her cast (and wearing a sling) but the ortho (former US National Karate team member and champion) said no tae kwon do for another 6 weeks. BTW, if your in that neighborhood in the mornings you'll likely see my car parked out in front of Java Shack (on Franklin next door to Mr. Tire further up Wilson Blvd.) as that's my coffee hangout before I go to work.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

you know you wouldn't be the first person to bring the entire family to a meet. :wink: :mrgreen: a Dave & Busters meet might be right up their alley.
Bluestreak2006
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Bluestreak2006 »

I take no-gi Brazilian Jiu Jitsu at Team Lloyd Irvin. Its pretty much just submission style wrestling. Sorry to hear that about your daughter. I took a few years of Tae kwon Do myself.
Jay

11 STI Hatch
"Wagon Mafia"
Stage 1 Baby
VietGuy
I walk to work

Post by VietGuy »

Welcome chuck...nice to have another 92x.
hotsam
I'm starting to be a post wh0re

Post by hotsam »

Welcome...and I really wouldn't worry about those welds.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

just looked at your thread on the UP. that pipe looks EXACTLY like the Bosal UP.

if it is I wouldn't use it (I just had one fail on me). if it's a stock Subaru UP, it's interesting because I'm positive my 2004 UP didn't look like that.
weird... :ugh:
chuck92ex
I'm a n000b

Post by chuck92ex »

Mr Kleen wrote:just looked at your thread on the UP. that pipe looks EXACTLY like the Bosal UP.

if it is I wouldn't use it (I just had one fail on me). if it's a stock Subaru UP, it's interesting because I'm positive my 2004 UP didn't look like that.
weird... :ugh:
it's an '07 WRX UP. Starting in '06 they did away with the cat (in both the WRX and Aero) so it wouldn't look like your '04 UP. And Bosal actually makes OEM replacement exhaust parts for Subie http://www.fastwrx.com/bosaluppipe.html It sounds like you may have just gotten a bad one (that happens, unfortunately). I've not heard lots of horror stories of Bosals failing. How did it fail exactly? Was it covered under warranty? FWIW, I have a Bosal shorty DP and am very happy with it.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

my Bosal shorty DP got a pinhole in the weld on the bottom flange. the UP flex section blew out. they were installed on the WRX for a little over 2 years when they failed, both within a month of each other. :|
I had the DP spot welded at a local muffler shop for $20. I replaced the UP.
chuck92ex
I'm a n000b

Post by chuck92ex »

New pics with BBS RK wheels and 225/45-17 tires.

Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

:hitit:
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Welcome! Car looks great!

We have a member sourcing a welder right now, but we could use the torch right now and fix those for you. Where abouts do you live?
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
chuck92ex
I'm a n000b

Post by chuck92ex »

Sabre wrote:Welcome! Car looks great!

We have a member sourcing a welder right now, but we could use the torch right now and fix those for you. Where abouts do you live?
Thank you. I live in Arlington. My office is in Alexandria near Kingstowne.