New to the area...

New to DCAWD? Looking for someone, see someone, found a spotted card or just want to say hi? Come on in!

Moderator: Moderators

Tallen
I'm a n000b

New to the area...

Post by Tallen »

Hi, names Matt, I'll make this quick as I am at work. I own a 97 GSX, but the new car bug may bite soon. The car has a 2.3 stroker and all the associated goodies, one of the few DSM's that has never been towed! A turbo I assembled from assorted GT parts, its similar to a FP3052, even "made" my own shrouded compressor housing and powder coated my valve cover, as well as made my o2 housing and exhaust..

Been into the car scene since high school. In Daytona Beach I worked at Project 7 Tuning, Trike Shop of Daytona, and Evolution Imports during college/grad school at Embry-Riddle. This gave me a chance to work on/assemble/drive such cars as GTR32-34, Pulsar, Spirit-R (one of the last, maybe last made), 22B STi, Soarer, Aristo, Evo7, Elise, Silvia and my favorite ... EVOIII that was raced in Japan, handled like a dream, we actually put a disco on it. I probably missed a few..

Live in Ashburn and work for Lockheed Flight Service (it is a branch of ATC, we mainly seperate airplanes from weather). Hope to make it to the next meet! What kind of shops/meets go on here??
-Matt
97 GSX
spazegun2213
teh Spaz

Post by spazegun2213 »

WELCOME!

I see you have fixed the crank walk issues with the car? I'm not a DSM person but i remember the first gens have a big problem with that, although I'm not sure about the other gens.

welcome to the area and the club. If you look in the meets area there are normally 2 meets a month. One in VA (springfeild) and one in MD (white flint). They are every other week and a ton of fun to hang out with the other members, talk a little shop, and then eat good food :)

Welcome to ashburn as well, I live in the village right off the trail. If you even need any help with your car just let me know I can get access to almost anything.
96 328, heated leather seats... ummm

Gone But not forgotten
'05 Black Sti, the car that started it all
84 944, my first race car.. what a pos
83 944.. 150hp of FURY, Rookie of the year chariot
Tallen
I'm a n000b

Post by Tallen »

It was the second gens that had crankwalk problems. I may take you up on that, need to boost leak test the lil sucker, shes down on power all of a sudden. I hate not having a shop/welder/lift anymore!

Where is the nearest AWD dyno?
-Matt
97 GSX
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Welcome Matt!

Sounds like you really got your hands dirty fondling some beautiful rides!

There are several AWD Dynos around. There's at least one in Sterling, Manassas, Gaithersburg, Bowie, etc. I'm not sure what is closest to you, it might be PTuning in Manassas.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
spazegun2213
teh Spaz

Post by spazegun2213 »

complacent wrote:Welcome Matt!

Sounds like you really got your hands dirty fondling some beautiful rides!

There are several AWD Dynos around. There's at least one in Sterling, Manassas, Gaithersburg, Bowie, etc. I'm not sure what is closest to you, it might be PTuning in Manassas.
Curry's in sterling would probably be a little closer. But its not nearly as nice as PTunings.

I dont have a lift, but my neighbor has a welder ;)
96 328, heated leather seats... ummm

Gone But not forgotten
'05 Black Sti, the car that started it all
84 944, my first race car.. what a pos
83 944.. 150hp of FURY, Rookie of the year chariot
Bluestreak2006
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Bluestreak2006 »

Greetings from a fellow Florida boy. You definately need to make it to one of our meets. Great bunch of folks here.
Jay

11 STI Hatch
"Wagon Mafia"
Stage 1 Baby
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

welcome matt.

ptuning might not be the closest to you per se, but their facility and staff are top notch and is worth the slightly extra drive to manassas, not to mention that we like to support our vendors ;).
-Ben
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

welcome aboard 8)
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Welcome to the club Matt! Those are some awesome cars that you have had your hands on! As Ross mentioned, we have bi-weekly meets. This past Monday was in Springfield, so the next will be on Tuesday, March 25th at Dave and Busters in Bethesda.

We get together every once in awhile to throw wrenches. Just throw up a time and people will make it as schedules allow. This past Saturday we did turbo, headers, uppipe and injectors on Idaho's (Andrew) car.

Always nice to have another person in the club who has lot's of experience!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Welkomen!
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

Ah just what we need, another Matt. :? Well WELCOME Matt #... ... ...oh I lost count. Sounds like you're pretty handy with a wrench. Coolness! We could always more of that when install days come around. Glad you found way to this part of the internet. I hope to see you at some meets.

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Hi there.

I hope to be back in the area for enough time to get to meet you. Until then, everything they say about me is probably true... :oops:
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

welcome. we have meets once every other week. running from mon - thurs. there are many other shop and club meets in the area as well as all kinds of track and auto cross meets. this is a great area to get out and have fun. hope to meet you at our next meet in rockville!
matt
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

chicken n waffles wrote:welcome matt.

ptuning might not be the closest to you per se, but their facility and staff are top notch and is worth the slightly extra drive to manassas, not to mention that we like to support our vendors ;).
If you head there in the morning the traffic in that direction is not that bad down 28.
Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited
The Gray Ghost
I walk to work

Post by The Gray Ghost »

Welcome Aboard...

Mark :D
2010 GGM LGT Premium