just signed up; just sayin' hey

New to DCAWD? Looking for someone, see someone, found a spotted card or just want to say hi? Come on in!

Moderator: Moderators

roxys_dad
I'm a n000b

just signed up; just sayin' hey

Post by roxys_dad »

Hey all,

New member here....just signed up. I've had my baby (that'd be Roxy - she's an 02 WRX wagon) for about 2 weeks now. The thrill of driving her is still as strong as the day I took her home....don't expect it to go anywhere anytime soon either.

Anyway, I haven't been this into a car since high school (not all that long ago but long enough). I've never known too much about cars but this one has inspired me to get as knowledgeable as I can about them. All I want to do is learn as much as I can about what's going on under the hood.

Been lurking here for quite a while and I like this group. You all seem to get along wayyyy better then a lot of the other sites I've seen. Attitudes seem to get checked at the door when you login. It's all about the love of the cars here....as it should be.

A couple of questions though:
1. I can't believe I'm asking this (never thought this day would come) but what's the average age around here? The pics in the gallery show, ummm....younger looking people. I'm 27. Too old? Don't want to make a fool of myself.
2. The meets and the drives to them - I noticed a few posts that emphasized, shall we say, getting there as quickly as possible as a group. Is that a standard thing? Don't get me wrong; I'm not afraid of speed....I love it. A little too much actually. I recently spent a small fortune fighting off a reckless driving ticket and if it were to happen again I honestly believe that my wife would kill me.

Otherwise it looks like a nice laid-back group that I can definitely learn some stuff from. I've got a list of performance upgrades that I'm working on getting for Rox....initial thoughts are a Cobb Stage 1, high-flow air filter, new exhaust system, sway bars, short throw shifter, and a new set of brakes. Need some gauges as well.

Anyway, that's me. See ya around.
AdsBot [Google]
I walk to work

Post by AdsBot [Google] »

Welcome! Glad you're enjoying the car! If that feeling starts to wear off, there are any number of folks that can help you spend money to get it back. :)

To answer your questions:

1) I'd say the average age is around mid-20's. Alot of the folks that were coming out for our summer meets were younger, now that we're back into school the crowd has matured overall. (age wise and attitude wise) I'd say the average age of the "regulars" is around your age.

2) I wouldn't say that we emphasis getting places quickly, if you see that it is probably the opinions/preferences of individuals. When we travel in a group we try to keep everyone together, when we had 50+ packs of cars that was pretty hard. Right now we are meeting right at D&B or HardTimes, we've cut the driving out of the process for the winter. When we do drive we hand out maps, everyone is free to travel at their own pace.

As far are your upgrades:

a) I believe Ken is running one of the higher Cobb Stages. Ken, was that a 4?
b) I ran the Apexi intake for awhile, took it off because the turbo spooling sound was annoying. Hey, I drive a Forester, leave me alone.
c) Must do sway bars, look around at some of the posts FT made, it's a pretty big performance gain.
d) Shifter, couple folks have done it, didn't sound hard.
e) I need brakes as well, I've been looking at the Cobb stage 2 or 3 sets, but I'll need to get off the 16" wheels first...
f) Julian has a nice gauge package, make sure you check that out tonight!

Hang in before you do a bunch of work out in the cold, we may have an announcment soon that will make things much easier!
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

Welcome! Glad you're enjoying the car! If that feeling starts to wear off, there are any number of folks that can help you spend money to get it back. Smile

To answer your questions:

1) I'd say the average age is around mid-20's. Alot of the folks that were coming out for our summer meets were younger, now that we're back into school the crowd has matured overall. (age wise and attitude wise) I'd say the average age of the "regulars" is around your age.

2) I wouldn't say that we emphasis getting places quickly, if you see that it is probably the opinions/preferences of individuals. When we travel in a group we try to keep everyone together, when we had 50+ packs of cars that was pretty hard. Right now we are meeting right at D&B or HardTimes, we've cut the driving out of the process for the winter. When we do drive we hand out maps, everyone is free to travel at their own pace.

As far are your upgrades:

a) I believe Ken is running one of the higher Cobb Stages. Ken, was that a 4?
b) I ran the Apexi intake for awhile, took it off because the turbo spooling sound was annoying. Hey, I drive a Forester, leave me alone.
c) Must do sway bars, look around at some of the posts FT made, it's a pretty big performance gain.
d) Shifter, couple folks have done it, didn't sound hard.
e) I need brakes as well, I've been looking at the Cobb stage 2 or 3 sets, but I'll need to get off the 16" wheels first...
f) Julian has a nice gauge package, make sure you check that out tonight!

Hang in before you do a bunch of work out in the cold, we may have an announcment soon that will make things much easier!
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.