1g DSM owner checking in

New to DCAWD? Looking for someone, see someone, found a spotted card or just want to say hi? Come on in!

Moderator: Moderators

gslenk
I'm a n000b

1g DSM owner checking in

Post by gslenk »

I've been in MD all my life. Grabbed this car 2 years ago and never looked back. I'm always down to check out other cool cars (awd etc...)
I am local to College Park and I am a Mathematics and Secondary Ed. major at UMCP.

Here's my little rice burner

1992 Plymouth Laser RS turbo, AWD

Yes the front bumper is off to facilitate lower engine temps as I highway cruise with the r12 A/C on :nana:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: 1g DSM owner checking in

Post by zaxrex »

Nice bit of classic there.
Thanks for checking in. What happens when the R-12 gives up on you?

Reminds me of a boss I had with a Laser, he had VA plates that said GIGAWAT. He was a high energy particle physics geek.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Nice! I actually saw it's cousin out on the RallyX course a little ago! I believe it was a 97 FWD Eagle Talon. Looks like you've done some work! Is it just your daily driver, or do you track it too?
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
gslenk
I'm a n000b

Post by gslenk »

Well... I always wanted to push my intercooler back towards the frame an inch or 2... (ac hardlines in the way). So if the ICE cold r12 ever dies, I will do a custom half condenser setup, and find some shady refrigerant guy to scavenge my waste r12. I have a vac pump and gauges all compatible with both r134 and r12.

Car currently has in the ball park of 30k miles (bought it with 23k from original owner) It should have (and still has) no issues for a long time, except rusted lower body bolts.

Its a Daily Driver. But someday I will buy a cheap DD and tear this thing apart (only thing that hasn't been pulled yet is the engine.)

I am a little aluminum tig welding, and battery wire re-routing short of a track ready DD. I relocated the battery to the back, and its not fully track legal, yet.

Here are some links to pics (Tuners is a little more generous on size :wiggle: and I'm too lazy to dig through all my pics.

Original car Unmolested day 1:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/mainten ... t152679815

Now it is pretty far from that now lol. Ill try to get some up to date shots of the changes.

I rarely document changes as they occur since every one has done them already... but the headlight retrofit is pretty unique. tons of pics here:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/appeara ... gress.html

And some ametuer body work to some JunkYard parts, for cosmetics...
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie- ... elete.html
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

gslenk wrote:1992 Plymouth Laser RS turbo, AWD
You have one of the not many RS Turbo AWDs.
The Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX & Eagle Talon TSi were quite common, but the Plymouth AWDs didn't sell well.
You would be the first person I've ever known to have one.
It looks really nice by the way. Remarkably good shape.
What are your power / performance upgrade aspirations?
Honestly, that FMIC might be a bit overkill for the turbo. A 20G wouldn't require a core that big, let alone the stock TD04.
gslenk
I'm a n000b

Post by gslenk »

Fortunately overkill on a fmic doesn't hurt anything.

All the mods I made are to accommodate up to 500 awhp. I don't see myself breaking that with this car, so mod once, mod right lol.

I will try to squeeze 400awhp max out of this guy. 350 realistically on 93 pump and 100% meth injection. Here's my go fast mods:

tdo5 turbine 7cm exh housing 20g with down firing compressor externally gated on the o2 housing.

ecmlink v3 running speed density

1050cc injectors, 255 pump, afpr, 3" turboback no cat, 3" race fmic core, Kevlar clutch with 2600 pp.

engine trans internals are stock. However this is a 6-bolt engine, 4-bolt rear combo. :nana:

some day I want to go the bolt on hx35 or fp green xl or slightly bigger route. I keep that dream in mind with every mod lol
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

I see one item missing from your list of mods that I would recommend. . . cams.
Perhaps a set of 264 / 272 would be a good choice.
I had 264 / 264 on my Galant VR4 with a Big 16G. They made a big difference.
gslenk
I'm a n000b

Post by gslenk »

Right you are! I have got my eyes set on GSC 2 cams (HKS 272 equivalent, but dyno proven to be better)

And those cams require some sort of spring upgrade (possibly evos, but I wanna rev if I do cams), so If I am to do all that the package is looking close to $800-$1000 lol. And I'm still in college, with a low wage, low hour internship lol. :banghead:

I was afraid 264's wouldn't be a large enough difference, and that gains are still reaped from 272's even on E16g's. I figured to future proof my setup I would push cams to the limit, which seems to be 272 all around. People with FP greens seem to think 272 is way better than 264.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

With a 20G I would certainly recommend 272 / 272 or maybe even 272 / 280.
That being said, most 280 set-ups I've know were very rough at idle and in the low rev range.
But they come alive over 3k! 272 set-ups I knew made around +30 whp up top on big 16G back in the day.
gslenk
I'm a n000b

Post by gslenk »

I don't mind losing a little low end. I want a mild rumble at idle (along with the performance aspect of course). I really think 280's are a bit extreme. a 20g does require some N/A power if I am sanely accelerating in a rush. Otherwise, I would need to do more launches with the 280s lol.

Here's some pics of the setup. I started a half arse wire tuck, that I will do better some day lol. (cant wait). And its a little dirty in there, and yes I need to desperately make friends with a powder coater... and a prettier meth tank.

I just need to finalize my meth plumbing so I know where exactly I can get away with the tucking. (its tight in the passenger rear corner because that's where the massive wire harness comes into the bay) and where the tank outlet is.

What usually happens at dcawd meets? Meet in the lot, check out cars, eat, leave?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
snaab
DCAWD Groupie

Post by snaab »

Wow @ the mileage. I like!
RJ
'13 Mazda3
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

a :nana: for orphaned hot rods.

:cheers:
prorallycodriver
Tricycle

Post by prorallycodriver »

drwrx wrote:
gslenk wrote:1992 Plymouth Laser RS turbo, AWD
You have one of the not many RS Turbo AWDs.
The Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX & Eagle Talon TSi were quite common, but the Plymouth AWDs didn't sell well.
You would be the first person I've ever known to have one.
You know me! Mine is a 1992 AWD turbo Laser.

Welcome gslenk. My Laser was same colors as yours before mine was painted green by previous owner who I knew.

I run both 272s and idle is rough. People at traffic lights think I am revving it w/ throttle wanting to race.

My build thread in case it inspires any ideas.
http://forums.dcawd.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=9175
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

For some reason, I thought yours was an Eclipse.
gslenk
I'm a n000b

Post by gslenk »

Although most of the bumper is gone, the corners of the bumper "brace face" vent holes are still there.

Nice build. I certainly wont be rallying my car, probably only straight track it. Rallying does look very very fun, I just don't have the patience to keep up with the dirt cleaning.
prorallycodriver
Tricycle

I dragraced mine in NOPI Nationals @ MIR years ago just cuz friends were doing it. Kinda boring. Launch, redline shift, redline, shift, redline and it was so wide you didn't even really need to look where you were going. Racing is more interesting when braking and steering are applied. But if I were going to start dragracing, I'd start w/ a V8 musclecar.

Horsepower is horsepower comparing builds, only difference being rallycar don't want a BIG honking turbo that take forever to spool (without antilag).
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

gslenk wrote:I just don't have the patience to keep up with the dirt cleaning.
:lol: My rally car gets cleaned when I can't stand to sit it any more! (Hint, it's been 2 months)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Black 95 TSI
I'm a n000b

Post by Black 95 TSI »

I am running FP2s with the FP Red. Idle is choppy, plus no balance shafts
gslenk
I'm a n000b

Post by gslenk »

Whats your take on the no balance shafts? I have a timing belt job coming up next year, and I'm thinking of pulling the BS.
prorallycodriver
Tricycle

Mine are gone also and maybe partially to blame for the lumpy idle. Hard to say what the difference is because did so many mods all at once. Besides ditching some rotating weight, it should increase oil capacity to aid in cooling/lubrication and you won;t get screwed if the balance shaft belt breaks.

If you are going for horsepower, you'll want a kevlar timing belt when you change it.