New Thread for a N00b!

New to DCAWD? Looking for someone, see someone, found a spotted card or just want to say hi? Come on in!

Moderator: Moderators

iceyinferno
I walk to work

New Thread for a N00b!

Post by iceyinferno »

Hello all. I've been a lurker on your forums/calendar for a while just trying to find the time to make it to one of your meets. Amazing how much knowledge I was keeping from myself by not going. Thanks for all of your great advice and my checkbook thanks you and hates you all the same. I was wondering what direction I would go with next for my car...but it has been decided now...after I ditch the Utec and go opensource I must have some sort of meth/water combo...so excited. Gotta wait a bit though as I just dumped a bit of money in the car and the wife does NOT want to hear about it costing anything but gas money at the moment...hehe.

Anyways onto the car. Purchased in May 2011 with 42k miles. It's previous owner had passed away two years prior to me purchasing the car so the car was in not so good shape when I picked it up. The white paint flat instead of having the clear shine. All fluids were changed right away. Next mod was to get rid of his EL headers...no evo/honda for me. This caused me to mess up my inlet when I had to remove my turbo to get it off. New inlet in, caused my intake to not fit...so I had to get a silicone reducer and then my filter was shot so I put a new K&N filter on my intake and called it there. Next I went to get a new tune from Dan at MachV. Tune wasn't ever good, but he didn't have too much time to do it since I had messed up the firmware on the UTec and it took him forever to get the right version flashed to the UTec.

Currently my FMIC has a small hole in it causing me to lose boost...I'm in the process of talking to SS Autochrome to get them to send me another one.

All in all it's been a great year, but my wife is sick of me having to spend $$ on it. I love it and think it's a great car. She won't ride in it atm but I have some soundproofing to put in to fix her bleeding ears.

Sorry this got long, I guess I had a lot to say. I'm excited to get to know all you guys/gals and to go on some cruises :drive:

04 Aspen White STi
FreddyG
Bicycle

Re: New Thread for a N00b!

Post by FreddyG »

Glad you decided to join on here man, lots of great and very knowledgeable people on this forum. I hope you fix your car soon :)
"If you see a bomb technician running, follow him."
- USAF Ammo Troop
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Good meeting you last week, and welcome to the turbo all wheel drive addiction support group.

If you are going to go water injection you may want to keep the UTEC.
Have an opensource basemap on it and then tune the UTEC with a couple of Meth/Water maps.
1. Base Opensource
2. Water inkjection map
3. 50/50 Water Alky map
That is one thing that the UTEC has going for it is multiple map switch.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Welcome
iceyinferno
I walk to work

Post by iceyinferno »

I've emailed SS Autochromes sales department twice about sending me information about a core to replace my Perrin core that has an un-repairable hole...They have not responded. I checked their site and they don't include a telephone number to call about inquiries and I've also read that they do not accept returns. This is making me nervous to purchase a core from them.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

:ugh:
04 Aspen White STi
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

What kind of non repairable hole are we talking about?
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
iceyinferno
I walk to work

Post by iceyinferno »

If you look at that picture, there is a fresh weld. I took the intercooler to get welded at a shop right outside of base. They did a great job repairing both sides of the intercooler. There was a hairline crack on each side of the intercooler. The mounting bracket for the intercooler is steel and the intercooler is aluminum. The steel bracket rusted slightly and expanded which caused the aluminum to seperate enough to crack the external and internal welds of the endcaps. I was hoping by having the external cracks welded that the intercooler would hold boost again. i was sadly mistaken. Unfortunately, it still leaks air. As far as I can tell its un-repairable. :banghead: :censor:

I'm up for suggestions...don't want to buy a core from Perrin...but don't want anything that isn't going to be up to par for my setup.
04 Aspen White STi
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

It looks like the entire end tank is the same metal as the mounting bracket.
Are you sure it is steel? I ask because the oxidation on the face looks like that of aluminum, and I don't know of many bi-metalic IC cores for the issue of auto-electrolysis.
If you can get a magnet to stick on the end tank but not tube and you are steadfast in keeping it, then I would suggest epoxy immersion.
That would help slow electrolysis and stand up to the pressure and temperature differential. Since it is at the end of the tank, the loss of intercooler effectiveness would be minimal. It will be a pain in the ass, but you could buy a used core and not lay out so much cash.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

OT: Just noticed you're listening to TOOL. :nana:
iceyinferno
I walk to work

Post by iceyinferno »

You just made my head hurt... :bowd:

The core is all aluminum. The black bar in the picture is the steel. The endcap has the bracket that extends up to the steel mounting bar on each side. In the picture you can only see the front. It's exactly the same way on the back.

Do you know a good place to get a used core? I have checked amazon and ebay and the only thing I saw was a core on ebay for $599 which had some sort of "defect" so i'm not sure if i want that.

Still no email from SS Autochrome :(
04 Aspen White STi
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »