STI TMIC Question

It's doesn't go anywhere? It does in here...

Moderator: Moderators

Bluestreak2006
DCAWD Groupie

STI TMIC Question

Post by Bluestreak2006 »

STI TMIC Question for you guys.

In order to run the TMIC on a stock TD04 what coupler do I need to pick up? I just got a great deal on a TMIC and its gonna be awhile til I can secure the funds for the turbo. So I was gonna swap out the intercoolers. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Jay

11 STI Hatch
"Wagon Mafia"
Stage 1 Baby
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: STI TMIC Question

Post by complacent »

You should be able to use the silicone hoses that come with the STi tmic.

And fortunately since you have an 06 (2.5L), you should be able to use the same TMIC brackets that you already have.

Just watch out for those AC lines and you should be fine.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Bluestreak2006
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Bluestreak2006 »

I had heard that you needed a different coupler to the turbo. I guess I was wrong. So it should just bolt up. So all i need now should be the STI hood scoop splitter???
Jay

11 STI Hatch
"Wagon Mafia"
Stage 1 Baby
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Bluestreak2006 wrote:I had heard that you needed a different coupler to the turbo. I guess I was wrong. So it should just bolt up. So all i need now should be the STI hood scoop splitter???
I'm pretty sure they both use the same diameter inlet piping, as well as outlet piping.
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

you talking about the coupler between the intake manifold and the TMIC? that's the same on WRX and STi, only the piping underneath is a little different.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Bluestreak2006 wrote:I had heard that you needed a different coupler to the turbo. I guess I was wrong. So it should just bolt up. So all i need now should be the STI hood scoop splitter???
The turbo inlet may not fit. The stock STi inlet didn't fit my vf22 on the forester, I had to buy an L inlet from Mach-V.
You will also need a recirculate hose and 02-05 WRX type BOV as your 06-07 is different.
The install of that recirculator hose is a PIA.

I have a 2006 STi splitter that I will sell you for $75 (that's what I paid)
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

drwrx wrote:
The turbo inlet may not fit. The stock STi inlet didn't fit my vf22 on the forester, I had to buy an L inlet from Mach-V.
You will also need a recirculate hose and 02-05 WRX type BOV as your 06-07 is different.
The install of that recirculator hose is a PIA.

I have a 2006 STi splitter that I will sell you for $75 (that's what I paid)
Oh crap that's right! I totally forgot about the bpv recirculation hose and bpv!

Jay, he's correct about that - you will need the recirc hose and the sti (or an aftermarket) bpv. That hose is easiest to run when you remove the turbo.

Wow, I guess I'd blocked the memory about how gigantic a PITA it is to run that little :censor: You might be much better served waiting until turbo swap time to even think about bolting on that TMIC.
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

:shock: wow, i had no idea it was that involved...
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Mr Kleen wrote::shock: wow, i had no idea it was that involved...
It's because he's got an 06. While the 02-05 crowd used an identical mount for the bpv as well as matching recirc hoses, the whole ball of wax is different for 06+ WRX and 04+ FXTs.

It totally slipped my mind. I must have been blocking it out. :shock:
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

complacent wrote:I must have been blocking it out.
Completely understandable. Some people repress painful memories better than others.

daddy why won't you hug me?
Bluestreak2006
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Bluestreak2006 »

Damn I didn't reallize how much a PITA this was. I didn't realize I needed a different BOV. My head is starting to hurt.
Jay

11 STI Hatch
"Wagon Mafia"
Stage 1 Baby
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Bluestreak2006 wrote:Damn I didn't reallize how much a PITA this was. I didn't realize I needed a different BOV. My head is starting to hurt.
It is not that big a deal...pretty easy. Just grab a new L-inlet like Darrin said.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

sirwilliam wrote:
Bluestreak2006 wrote:Damn I didn't reallize how much a PITA this was. I didn't realize I needed a different BOV. My head is starting to hurt.
It is not that big a deal...pretty easy. Just grab a new L-inlet like Darrin said.
Good luck with the recirc hose replacement! the clip holding it on at the turbo inlet pipe that crosses under the intake manifold is buried next to the vacuum fitting on the compressor housing on the turbo.

i suck at explaining, but you basically need to be either quadruple jointed at the fingers, or you have to unbolt and lift the turbo to clear that clip and install the new recirculation hose.

(some models require the removal of the recirc tube bracket/coupler that is bolted onto the top of the trans casing. older fxts mainly iirc)
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

The recirculator hose replacement was the hardest single thing I've ever done on the FXT.
The tube bracket that's under the intake manifold was a huge PITA. The bolt is so difficult to get at that I bent the hell out of the bracket to get it off. If I ever sell the Forester, the STi intercooler will be going with it.

Yours may be different, as the 06-07 WRXs had some differences to the 04-05 FXTs.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Easiest thing to do is connect the recirc hose to both the turbo inlet and the BPV prior to TMIC install. Just move it out of the way, install the TMIC and then bolt the BPV to the TMIC...but maybe I am just senile and have completely forgotten how hard it was to install on my old FXT (I just don't recall it being hard the way I stated, just the other ways were the big PITA).

Also, I don't know how much different the 2006 WRX is from the '04 XT. Also, worm drive hose clamps are your friends. :wink:...that reminds me I need to replace a bunch of the factory pressure clamp ones.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer