BMW technical information

It's doesn't go anywhere? It does in here...

Moderator: Moderators

snaab
DCAWD Groupie

BMW technical information

Post by snaab »

The thought just occured to me to offer up my resources to the group. I know there's not many of you that drive a BMW, but I must let it be known that I have access to wiring diagrams, repair instructions, and various other useful files for all BMW models of any generationö

Should the need to R&R an alternator arise, I can tell you that 2.5mm wire heading over to the starter needs 19Nm of torque. ABS, Airbag, and ride height adjustment on the fritz? Try probing the CAN-hi signal coming out the DME. Don't know where the DME is? I can tell you that too.

I am your BMW-Meister!

Thank you and :ya:
RJ
RJ
'13 Mazda3
scheherazade
DCAWD Groupie

Re: BMW technical information

Post by scheherazade »

1) What is involved with resetting the ride height (computer)? Is BMW hooking up a cable and flashing adjusted software? Or is there a special button that you hit (or ODB / Ubus [edit: CAN bus] signal that you set) that just sets the current sensor height to the default?

2) What angle is the front cv shaft at on a e92 335 XI (wheel vs shaft-to-the-wheel), when standing around with the stock suspension? What is the length of the shaft from front diff to wheel?

3) How do you check what version of DME and software you have?

4) What did BMW change in model year 09' for the e92 335 xi suspension. It is not the same... feels more planted than 08' XIs. Did they stealth-implement the sport suspension for the XI sport package models (previously you only got seats + steering wheel with SP on XIs)? Or is this all the effect of widening the wheel base by 3"?

5) Are the rumors of the latest software version having even more aggressive anti-piggyback measures true? (I've heard "no problem" from some tuners, and I've heard "this thing got detected in 2 seconds flat" from some users).

That's about all I can think of for now :P

-scheherazade
snaab
DCAWD Groupie

Post by snaab »

Oh geez, I got what I wished for, now didn't I.

I'm about to leave for a car event, but I will answer these questions as soon as I can. It might take a bit of hunting for one or two of them.
RJ
'13 Mazda3
snaab
DCAWD Groupie

Post by snaab »

1) Personally I would use the BMW diagnosis systems to reset it. There may be another way, but if there is, it'd likely be in the owner's manual.

2) (Still haven't had time to pull this one up)

3) I have tables of DME/software versions, but I don't know where you would look it up otherwise.

4) I haven't even seen the underside of an '09 model yet, but I'll see what I can figure out based on the electronic manuals.

5) I haven't heard any specific rumours about this, but I have heard of chips already available for the new cars. Not to mention, check out BMW's performance camshaft option for the E9x. Who can pass up a factory-backed cam upgrade!? Although I'm sure it costs a mint.
RJ
'13 Mazda3
scheherazade
DCAWD Groupie

Post by scheherazade »

I'd like to have right around the ride height of the standard sport package, rather than the raised XI.
But I don't want to lower it if I'll be putting a constant crappy angle on the front drives.

Also, there is a revelation about a new flash based tune that is actually working (I was gonna wait till maybe 15k miles before I do power mods anyways), so it's worth waiting around for to see what becomes of it.

edit : also, I suspect the wheel-to-strut clearance has shrunk since 08'. I can just barely fit 5/8" between he wheel and strut, which worries me about the kosei K1s because that would shrink the inner clearance by 12mm... which is right about to touch. (8 et 34 -> 8.5 et 40). So either everyone using those wheels has always had shit for clearance, or there is something changed...

-scheherazade
snaab
DCAWD Groupie

Post by snaab »

The only thing remotely helpful I've found is that the sport suspension has a 2mm wider track than the standard Xi suspension.

There is little information other than that, at least that I can find at the moment. Generally, you just measure the ride height, and that ensures that the drive shafts have the proper angles for operation. That said, unless you do some sort of ridiculous, off-road-style lift on the car, it's unlikely that you would put the driving shafts into an awkward angle. What could cause awkward stresses on the suspension, name the wheel bearings, is if you use wheels that have a different offset from factory. Furthermore, BMW takes particular car to use soft metals in their wheels, so that, should you come across a nasty pothole or other road obstacle, the wheel deforms and absorbs the impact, as opposed to the much more expensive aluminum suspension components and the frame they connec to. I'm not trying to be an alarmist, but you should be aware of the risk.

I definitely don't have information pertaining to the differences between the '08 and '09 suspensions, but I am reviewing the service bulletins now.

edit: For whatever reason, the service bulletin database is refusing to communicate with me at this time. I will have to search later.
RJ
'13 Mazda3
scheherazade
DCAWD Groupie

Post by scheherazade »

Do you know if I can use the 328 or 330 final drive units (carriers) on a 335?

I have :
335 xi, Manual
3.08 rear
3.08 front

I want to add a quaife LSD to the rear.

Before Feb. 07', the [MANUAL] ring gears were bolted, and welded afterwards
After Feb. 07, the [AUTO] ring gears were bolted, and welded before.

My ring gears are welded, so I need to swap in an entire final drive.

My options are :
1) Get Front and Rear carriers from an auto (3.46), AFTER Feb. 07'
2) Get a Rear carrier from a MT (3.08), BEFORE Feb 07'

The 335 has a large case.
I don't know if the 328 and 330 have a large case too, or small, etc...

I know I can track down a junk yard 328 XI auto pretty easy (they are all over the place), but I don't know if their carriers are compatible.

Can you possibly tell me which front and rear carriers are compatible with my 335 (09)?

I think it would be really hard to track down a MT 335 built before Feb. 07 (the one that's a direct drop-in replacement for my rear diff), so I need to find alternatives.

Edit :
Sorry if I use the wrong terminology I use 'carrier' and 'final drive unit' and 'differential' loosely.
I'm looking for : "differential + the case around it + anything else inside that case"

Thanks,
-scheherazade