Subaru issues turbo STOP SALE on certain 08-09 models

It's doesn't go anywhere? It does in here...

Moderator: Moderators

sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Subaru issues turbo STOP SALE on certain 08-09 models

Post by sirwilliam »

FYI, Straight from SubaruNet:
IMMEDIATE STOP SALE ORDER
TO: GLR-- MAR-- NWR-- SCR-- SDC-- SWR Dealers
DEPARTMENT: Service
DATE: 04/07/2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Legacy vehicles have been added to the Stop Sale

We regret to inform you that we must place an immediate stop sale order on all of the 2008/2009 Subaru Impreza, Forester and Legacy vehicles equipped with a 2.5L Turbo Engine produced with the beginning chassis number and later as shown below.

Model
Body Type
Chassis Number
Production Date

Forester Wagon 701045 or later 2008/01/08 or later
Legacy 2.5GT-LTD 222825 or later 2008/02/04 or later
2.5GT-B 222958 or later 2008/02/04 or later
OBK 2.5XT-LTD 353835 or later 2008/02/01 or later
Impreza Sedan 523363 or later 2008/01/08 or later
Wagon 825183 or later 2008/01/08 or later

The reason for this immediate Quality Assurance action is that there have been several reports of “Engine Knocking Noise” from other markets on vehicles produced after the production dates listed.

Initial investigation confirms an internal wear issue on the failed units.

In the interest of preventing any possibility of failures for our customers, we have chosen to isolate any potentially affected vehicles by ceasing sales of the potentially affected units until the root cause and correction can be identified.

All the other displacement engines and the 2.5L Natural Aspirated Engine are excluded from this action.

Your region/distributor will be contacting you with a detailed list of affected vehicles assigned to your dealership. However, dealer trades cannot be tracked so please be aware of the affected VIN range.

If you have a vehicle in inventory that falls into the affected vehicle range, please ensure that your sales and service staff are immediately notified that the unit is un-saleable until further notice from SOA or your region/distributor.

If any of those vehicles has an unusual engine noise, please notify the SOA Technical Helpline immediately with all of the details and submit an E-QMR.

Should a customer bring an affected vehicle into your service department for an unusual engine noise, please immediately arrange that they are given the use of a clean SSLP vehicle and notify the Technical Helpline and submit an E-QMR.

You will be contacted shortly thereafter on how to proceed.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Knock, knock, who's there?

8)
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Thanks for posting Will!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

How many dealers are going to sit on this so they don't have to do any work?

Tell you what, since the large majority of cars are financed, send the info the title holder. that would make sure things get done right.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

I think I may have missed being on this list (fingers crossed!)...but I will still be keeping an eye on this one.

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Update from Down Unda (From Subaru of Australia Bulletin):
Fuji Heavy Industries (FHI), the manufacturer of Subaru vehicles, has temporarily suspended the production and sale of all 2.5 litre four cylinder turbocharged engine vehicles manufactured between Tuesday 8 January and Saturday 5 April 2008.

Vehicles fitted with all other displacement engines and the 2.5 litre normally aspirated engine are NOT affected. This Quality Assurance action follows isolated reports of “engine knocking noise” and is aimed at avoiding possible damage to the engines of potentially affected vehicles. FHI have identified the problem as abnormal wear on con rod big end bearings and are now working to identify the cause and produce a fix.

Therefore, in the interests of preventing any possibility of engine damage to potentially affected vehicles, we are isolating any potentially affected vehicles from sale until the cause and correction are identified.

sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Re: Subaru issues turbo STOP SALE on certain 08-09 models

Post by sirwilliam »

Here is the article in Drive: LINKY

P.S. Thanks to Juliano for switching up forum format on us.

sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Re: Subaru issues turbo STOP SALE on certain 08-09 models

Post by sirwilliam »

Straight from the SOA mouth posted by another forum member:
"Thank you again for your recent contact to Subaru of America. I wanted to touch base with you and provide you with some additional information regarding your inquiry regarding the stop sale for certain Subaru models as we just received some additional information this morning.

"Subaru of America, Inc. has announced a Quality Assurance action on Turbocharged 2.5 liter engines produced in January 2008 and later. This action follows reports of “engine knocking noise” as reported from some non-US markets on 2008 and 2009 turbocharged vehicles.
While the number of reported affected engines is small and there have not been any reports in the U.S., SOA has issued a Stop Sale notice until the root cause investigation is complete. A detailed list of those engines potentially affected has been sent to Subaru dealers.

Again, in reviewing the VIN you provided for your 2008 Subaru Forester 2.5 XT, our list shows that your vehicle is within the reported range of possibly affected engines. If you currently have low mileage (under 1000 or so) and are experiencing engine knocking noise, we recommend that you take your vehicle to your Subaru dealership as soon as possible. If you are not experiencing any engine noise, we recommend that you continue driving your vehicle with the awareness of this potential situation.

We have created a case based on your inquiry about your Subaru and your case number is 1104511. If you wish to re-contact us with your mileage and any other information, please feel free to do so. We will enter any additional information into your case.

For your information, the H-6 engines and the 2.5L naturally aspirated engine are not included in this action. A speedy resolution to this issue is expected and an update to our dealers will be made at that time.

Thank you for the opportunity to address your inquiry. Subaru will contact you directly if any additional information becomes available regarding this situation. I hope that this information is helpful. Please re-contact me if I can be of further assistance. "

Second email from SOA:

"Thank you for your response. I am sorry to e-mail you again, but I was
sent your response minutes after I sent you the previous e-mail this
morning.

Your vehicle was actually produced 8/29/07, so your vehicle will not be
involved with any of these concerns.

Again, if you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact
us again. Thank you!

Best wishes,
Gina Holwell
Subaru of America, Inc.
Customer/Dealer Services
e-Contact Group"