Money to burn......

It's doesn't go anywhere? It does in here...

Moderator: Moderators

Bluestreak2006
DCAWD Groupie

Money to burn......

Post by Bluestreak2006 »

Well its looking like my wife is going to give me a piece of my reenlistment bonus so I'm gonna have some coin for some upgrades. I was thinking some springs, rear sway bar w/ end links, whiteline rear strut bar, DP, boost gauge w/ pod, GP moto elbow, and the Mach V front lip. I'm looking at $1500 to $2000 for mods. What do you guys think and what would you do. Thanks
Jay

11 STI Hatch
"Wagon Mafia"
Stage 1 Baby
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

That sounds like good upgrades. Have you done brake pads, lines and fluid yet?
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
Bluestreak2006
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Bluestreak2006 »

No all she has is a K&N drop in, HKS catback and the AP.
Jay

11 STI Hatch
"Wagon Mafia"
Stage 1 Baby
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

I recommend upgrading the pads to HPS, get some coated SS brake lines and put in some ATE blue fluid as well. Good upgrade. I know different places are running package deals as well.

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
Bluestreak2006
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Bluestreak2006 »

Yeah I ws looking at just getting everthing from MACH V but that may not be the best use of my funds.
Jay

11 STI Hatch
"Wagon Mafia"
Stage 1 Baby
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Bluestreak2006 wrote:Yeah I ws looking at just getting everthing from MACH V but that may not be the best use of my funds.
I would try SAM at turbometrics or Jackie at annapolis subaru for lowest pricing. Those are basically my gotos for new parts.

chicken n waffles

Re: Money to burn......

Post by chicken n waffles »

Bluestreak2006 wrote:Well its looking like my wife is going to give me a piece of my reenlistment bonus
:rolllaugh:
-Ben
Bluestreak2006
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Bluestreak2006 »

You know what....... i don't think I like you anymore........

:postwhore:
Jay

11 STI Hatch
"Wagon Mafia"
Stage 1 Baby
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

you've got a good list there. DP + AP rocks :wink:

I wouldn't worry too much about the rear strut bar but it's not a complete waste on a waggon like it is for a sedan. you might want to get a quick release for it like Doc did.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Mr Kleen wrote:you've got a good list there. DP + AP rocks :wink:

I wouldn't worry too much about the rear strut bar but it's not a complete waste on a waggon like it is for a sedan. you might want to get a quick release for it like Doc did.
Yes, I recommend QR as well.

06STIffy
Unicycle

Post by 06STIffy »

I'll tell you what....I hook you up. Buy my STI TBE for $1500 and I will let you hang out with me!
Stickin Feathers in your Butt does not make you a chicken!

Dale

08 WRB STI
with SRI and lovin it
Bluestreak2006
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Bluestreak2006 »

Um.....No. And I was only going to get the quick release. I still need the use of my wagon. No one has anything else to recommend......
Jay

11 STI Hatch
"Wagon Mafia"
Stage 1 Baby
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

Bluestreak2006 wrote:You know what....... i don't think I like you anymore........
:ya:
-Ben
spazegun2213
teh Spaz

Post by spazegun2213 »

I'd say,
Brake lines and fluid (~120)
Springs + sway (~450)
endlinks by kartboy (~100)
MachV lip (~150 i think) but you need to have the Sti splitters on the car, i think
DP (~250)
AP (~300)
KYB AGX adjustable struts (rest of the money)

lol, I'd say forgot the strut bars, they are junk and the $50 ebay ones do the same thing. I'd say, do brakes, then suspension, then go fast stuff :)

good luck with the upgrades.
96 328, heated leather seats... ummm

Gone But not forgotten
'05 Black Sti, the car that started it all
84 944, my first race car.. what a pos
83 944.. 150hp of FURY, Rookie of the year chariot
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

1. Get the steel brake lines and ATE fluid from VIP installed for $150 while the special lasts. Have the Hawk HPS pads put on at that time as well.

2. Get a Helix catted downpipe from http://hopupracing.com/downpipeuppipe.html for $329.00 shipped.

3. Get a set of ebay headers (the kind w/o the integrated up-pipe) for $85 plus an extra $40 for shipping. They are basically Borla / HKS knock-offs, and for $125 it's a steal.

4. Get whatever springs, swaybars, endlinks, strut tower bars you want (I think only Whiteline makes the quick release version). Perhaps a set of summer only tires as well.

5. Find a cheap vf39/vf22/vf30/vf34/TD05-16G. I see vf39s used all the time for $350-$450. Heck, you can buy a new TD05-16G for $699!

6. Get a ProTune! Whether it's from MachV, Agile, Jeff Chang or Big Al (since he's coming to VIP November 11/3/07). It's worth the $250, $300, $400 to get the extra 30+ whp/ftlbs a good tune will net you.

7. Don't bother with the GPMoto Elbow, it does nothing. Skip the front lip, wagons are supposed to be stealthy not flashy.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

drwrx wrote:Skip the front lip, wagons are supposed to be stealthy not flashy.
Well so much for my wagon :lol: That is a really good deal on the Helix. When I got mine for a good deal for my '04 XT, it was $360 shipped.

drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

sirwilliam wrote:Well so much for my wagon.
Sorry bro, as much as I love the Blue Wasabi. With the WRB paint and the very cool wheels, stealthy it ain't.

But look who's talking, the guy with the forester that shakes mortar loose with it's exhaust rumble. It may look slealthy, but it don't sound stealthy.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

drwrx wrote:
sirwilliam wrote:Well so much for my wagon.
Sorry bro, as much as I love the Blue Wasabi. With the WRB paint and the very cool wheels, stealthy it ain't.

But look who's talking, the guy with the forester that shakes mortar loose with it's exhaust rumble. It may look slealthy, but it don't sound stealthy.
I know...went 360 when I got this one...but I like it. Right now I am all show and no go (well, a little go for stock power :wink:) when the '04 was the opposite starting out. :lol: Regardless, w/ the WRB, stealth is out the door

Bluestreak2006
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Bluestreak2006 »

Thanks everyone for your tid bits. Darren I reallly don't think I'm going beyond stage 2 anytime soon. And I happen to really like the looks of an 06 w/ the lip. Plus like you already said i'm WRB and I have an HKS hi power. Not exactly sleeper. I thought the rear strut bars in the wagon actually helped out some..... But I figure stage 2 w/ some suspension work should make for an entertaining automobile. I think I will try to take advantage of the brake lines and pads though.
Jay

11 STI Hatch
"Wagon Mafia"
Stage 1 Baby
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

drwrx wrote:1. Get the steel brake lines and ATE fluid from VIP installed for $150 while the special lasts. Have the Hawk HPS pads put on at that time as well.

2. Get a Helix catted downpipe from http://hopupracing.com/downpipeuppipe.html for $329.00 shipped.

3. Get a set of ebay headers (the kind w/o the integrated up-pipe) for $85 plus an extra $40 for shipping. They are basically Borla / HKS knock-offs, and for $125 it's a steal.

4. Get whatever springs, swaybars, endlinks, strut tower bars you want (I think only Whiteline makes the quick release version). Perhaps a set of summer only tires as well.

5. Find a cheap vf39/vf22/vf30/vf34/TD05-16G. I see vf39s used all the time for $350-$450. Heck, you can buy a new TD05-16G for $699!

6. Get a ProTune! Whether it's from MachV, Agile, Jeff Chang or Big Al (since he's coming to VIP November 11/3/07). It's worth the $250, $300, $400 to get the extra 30+ whp/ftlbs a good tune will net you.

7. Don't bother with the GPMoto Elbow, it does nothing. Skip the front lip, wagons are supposed to be stealthy not flashy.
This pretty much says it all for me!

Brakes: $350 (VIP Special) - You WILL appreciate this
DP: $330
Sway's & Endlinks: $260 (Rear only... Not sure of you all (wagons) feel much difference with a front)
VF39: $380
Injectors: Free mod or get them modded ($250)
Intercooler: $100
Protune: $200-300

If you have money left over:
Wheels/Tires for summer
Front sways/endlinks
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Bluestreak2006
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Bluestreak2006 »

Yeah I think I would like to pick up an STI intercooler if I could get it on the cheap.

Oh and I thought the 06+ WRX injectors were pretty good....
Jay

11 STI Hatch
"Wagon Mafia"
Stage 1 Baby
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Bluestreak2006 wrote:Yeah I think I would like to pick up an STI intercooler if I could get it on the cheap.
I will sell you one for $275 in great condition. Comes w/ ypipe, elbow hose, and TB hose.

drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Sabre wrote:Injectors: Free mod or get them modded ($250)
He wouldn't need injectors unless he went to a turbo like the TD06-20G.
The 06 and up WRX has the same injectors as the STi. If he does go with an sti turbo, or one of similar size, he may want an upgraded fuel pump. But that is not really "needed."
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

drwrx wrote:
Sabre wrote:Injectors: Free mod or get them modded ($250)
He wouldn't need injectors unless he went to a turbo like the TD06-20G.
The 06 and up WRX has the same injectors as the STi. If he does go with an sti turbo, or one of similar size, he may want an upgraded fuel pump. But that is not really "needed."
Yep...I will be upgrading my pump, though.

drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

I didn't upgrade the fuel-pump on my FXT, even with the clipped and ported vf22, and I'm only running 88% IDCs at 18psi.