Money to burn......

It's doesn't go anywhere? It does in here...

Moderator: Moderators

drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

drwrx wrote:Find a cheap vf39/vf22/vf30/vf34/TD05-16G. I see vf39s used all the time for $350-$450. Heck, you can buy a new TD05-16G for $699!
Case in point: New TD05-18G never installed for $675.00 (local)
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=1378437

I think you could still get away with your stock injectors with this turbo.
Just keep the boost below 20psi and upgrade your fuel pump.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

drwrx wrote:I didn't upgrade the fuel-pump on my FXT, even with the clipped and ported vf22, and I'm only running 88% IDCs at 18psi.
Wow, those are great IDC's considering you didn't do fuel upgrades! That means upgrading the new WRX's is going to be a little cheaper :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Bluestreak2006
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Bluestreak2006 »

Hooray for me!!!! I am reenlisting today and getting my bonus. So I started doing my pricing on the first few things I want. Let me know if anyone knows of better parts or better prices. Thanks

From rally sport direct:
Invidia V3 divorced DP- $299
Prodrive Springs- $259 Free shipping on anything over $200!

Mach V:
Prosport electric boost gauge and pod- $68
V-limited lip- $220
whiteline rear strut tower bar w/ quick release- $172

After this stuff I'm left w/ about $500 more I can spend. I was thinking of trying to find a cheap used STI TMIC and a rear sway bar. Anybody have an STI TMIC they want to sell me on the cheap.

And of course when I get all my stuff together we need to have an install day. I have access to the lifts at Ft. Myer and Ft. Belvoir to help us out.
Jay

11 STI Hatch
"Wagon Mafia"
Stage 1 Baby
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

My manager (who was reserves - 38, two kids, married) just got called up to the sandbox :( Good luck Jay, where ever you end up!

Is that a catted DP? You can definitely go cheaper on the DP if it isn't.

That's a very good deal on the guage... but is it a single pod? Think about having multiple pods just in case you want to put more in there later.

Spend the $500 on a used Access Port or improving your brakes (pads, fluid and lines).
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Bluestreak2006 wrote:Hooray for me!!!! I am reenlisting today and getting my bonus. So I started doing my pricing on the first few things I want. Let me know if anyone knows of better parts or better prices. Thanks

From rally sport direct:
Invidia V3 divorced DP- $299
Prodrive Springs- $259 Free shipping on anything over $200!

Mach V:
Prosport electric boost gauge and pod- $68
V-limited lip- $220
whiteline rear strut tower bar w/ quick release- $172

After this stuff I'm left w/ about $500 more I can spend. I was thinking of trying to find a cheap used STI TMIC and a rear sway bar. Anybody have an STI TMIC they want to sell me on the cheap.

And of course when I get all my stuff together we need to have an install day. I have access to the lifts at Ft. Myer and Ft. Belvoir to help us out.
There is a newbie guy on nabisco selling F&R Whitline sways for his friend in Pittsburgh. I wouldn't trust him about shipping (since he is a new newbie that I don't know) it but if you can meet up in person, the price is a good deal...not sure if the rear endlinks they come w/ are whiteline...if so, great deal.

Oh, yeah...the link: LINKY
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
Bluestreak2006
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Bluestreak2006 »

I have an accessport already Julian. Yeah the DP is catless. They have the bellmouth V2 for $250.

Oh and I just had a funny thought. Are any of you STI guys willing to trade your stock CBE for an HKS Hiper CBE?
Jay

11 STI Hatch
"Wagon Mafia"
Stage 1 Baby
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

I don't want to talk you out of your purchases but if your trying to save money (and who isn't) I would offer up some advice:

1. If your buying a catless down-pipe (and it appears you are) why would you pay $259 for the Invidia? You can get bellmouth 3" stainless downpipes off e-bay for under $100, or look for a used on Nasioc. Seriously, it's just a pipe. The Invidia is a nice but it's not worth $259. I would also recommend against the divorced design It has been problematic on some installs.

2. Make sure what-ever springs you get are for the 04-07 WAGON! Also, watch Nasioc for used springs as well. I recently saw a set of Tein H-Techs for the wagon for $100 shipped, and those are great springs!

3. Every test I've seen on the strut tower bars say they make NO difference at the track, NONE! Grassroots motorsports even claimed their laptimes were slower with them on. So I'd say skip them.

4. If your still on the stock turbo, there's no need for the larger TMIC. And if you really want one look into the SSautochrome TMIC for $200. I was very impressed with the unit Bryan got, and the install was easy.
Once again from my old post:

Core size and efficiency are the most important issues.

The core size is easy, the bigger is usually better unless it is inefficient.
The only simple way to check efficiency is to rate the pressure drop. Most will give a rating of some kind (usually measured like less than .5lbs at 14psi). The lower the ratio, the more efficient.

STi TMIC Core size:
18.5" x 7.25 x 3"
Volume = 402

SSautochrome / no-name Ebay brand:
20" x 7.5" x 4.5"
volume = 675

And every test I've seen shows the bar and plate versions having less pressure drop and making power gains above the WRX/STi TMICs.

just trying to save you some money
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Like Julian did, I would also suggest upgrading pads, coated SS lines and fluid for your brakes.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
Bluestreak2006
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Bluestreak2006 »

So what springs would you suggest for the wagon? The only springs I have really come across that are wagon specific are the Teins and the Swifts.

Was it VIP that was running that brake line and fluid deal for cheap?

Thanks for all the good info. I'll take a look at ebay to see what out there. Blocked at work. Im really not trying to go VF39/43 yet so I guess I can cool off on the intercooler. < No pun intended. So I guess the dp, springs, and brakes for sure. Any none hp modes that might be a good thing to do?
Jay

11 STI Hatch
"Wagon Mafia"
Stage 1 Baby
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Bluestreak2006 wrote:Oh and I just had a funny thought. Are any of you STI guys willing to trade your stock CBE for an HKS Hiper CBE?
If your trying to find something more stealthy, you might want to look at the Bosal single tip for $430.
http://www.oakos.com/Merchant2/merchant ... _Code=3220

Or just put the stock axle-back section to a MadDad(TM) Halfback Intermediate Pipe Value Edition $194.95. All the tests I've seen indicate the STi axle-back makes no more power than the WRX axle-back.
Bluestreak2006
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Bluestreak2006 »

I am looking for something more stealthy. But in my quest for cheapness I sold my stock CBE.
Also came across an APS 3 in 3 piece DP for $200 obo. I don't know anything about APS so what do you think?
Jay

11 STI Hatch
"Wagon Mafia"
Stage 1 Baby
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Bluestreak2006 wrote:Im really not trying to go VF39/43 yet
Deadbolt is now selling a budget series of turbos:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=1129809

How about a oil cooled TD05-16G for $499.00!

You can also get water and oil cooled TD05-16Gs from Blouch, FP and Turbochargers.com for $699

Gruppe-S is also selling TD05-18Gs for $749

It's a good time to be turbo shopping!
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Usually APS stuff is VERY expensive and doesn't justify it's "performance" for the price... but $200 for a DP is a good deal :) Also, make sure you are getting full DP's and not just "shorties".
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

APS makes very nice stuff. I'm not familiar with the 3 piece DP.
Can you post a link to it?
Bluestreak2006
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Bluestreak2006 »

Jay

11 STI Hatch
"Wagon Mafia"
Stage 1 Baby
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

The APS uses a cast Outlet housing w/ a 3 bolt flange that bolts to a seperate short-pipe that you can get catted or non-catted and then to another pipe that has the 3 bolt flange than switches to the standard 2 bolt flange.

It's this:

And the catted section is $379.00. I wouldn't bother with it as replacement pieces are likely hard to get and damn expensive.

Again, you can get a new Megan racing dp for $145
http://www.boostbuddy.com/servlet/Detail?no=3

Or off ebay for $120 ($80+$40 shipping)
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

drwrx wrote:I don't want to talk you out of your purchases but if your trying to save money (and who isn't) I would offer up some advice:

1. If your buying a catless down-pipe (and it appears you are) why would you pay $259 for the Invidia? You can get bellmouth 3" stainless downpipes off e-bay for under $100, or look for a used on Nasioc. Seriously, it's just a pipe. The Invidia is a nice but it's not worth $259. I would also recommend against the divorced design It has been problematic on some installs.

2. Make sure what-ever springs you get are for the 04-07 WAGON! Also, watch Nasioc for used springs as well. I recently saw a set of Tein H-Techs for the wagon for $100 shipped, and those are great springs!

3. Every test I've seen on the strut tower bars say they make NO difference at the track, NONE! Grassroots motorsports even claimed their laptimes were slower with them on. So I'd say skip them.

4. If your still on the stock turbo, there's no need for the larger TMIC. And if you really want one look into the SSautochrome TMIC for $200. I was very impressed with the unit Bryan got, and the install was easy.
Once again from my old post:

Core size and efficiency are the most important issues.

The core size is easy, the bigger is usually better unless it is inefficient.
The only simple way to check efficiency is to rate the pressure drop. Most will give a rating of some kind (usually measured like less than .5lbs at 14psi). The lower the ratio, the more efficient.

STi TMIC Core size:
18.5" x 7.25 x 3"
Volume = 402

SSautochrome / no-name Ebay brand:
20" x 7.5" x 4.5"
volume = 675

And every test I've seen shows the bar and plate versions having less pressure drop and making power gains above the WRX/STi TMICs.

just trying to save you some money
I have the SSA TMIC if you'd like to see it, and was dyno'd @ 360 AWHP.
Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

drwrx wrote:
Bluestreak2006 wrote:Im really not trying to go VF39/43 yet
Deadbolt is now selling a budget series of turbos:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=1129809

How about a oil cooled TD05-16G for $499.00!

You can also get water and oil cooled TD05-16Gs from Blouch, FP and Turbochargers.com for $699

Gruppe-S is also selling TD05-18Gs for $749

It's a good time to be turbo shopping!
I've gotta chime in here, if you want your order soon and correct, do not order from gruppe-s.
Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited
Bluestreak2006
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Bluestreak2006 »

Thanks Darren for that link. I just ordered the megan DP. $187 shipped.
So are you suggesting the Tein H techs? I really just want a minor drop with improved handling. What are you running?
Jay

11 STI Hatch
"Wagon Mafia"
Stage 1 Baby
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

the h-techs are great from what i've read.

prodrive springs might be up your alley as well. conservative drop (@ 20mm per corner, but may drop a bit more), and while they claim that spring rates are proprietary info, they're believed to be around 25% increase over stock. i'm dropped on prodrives. i love them, especially when compared to cobbs which SLAMMED the car.

clicky
-Ben
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Gabe is running on H-Techs (Colin Ran on H-Techs as well) and I thought they were a great improvement. I've also run in wagons on Swift springs and I liked them as well. The tein's run around $200-$220 the swifts run $260-$280.

I'm running on STi pinks with STi adjustable struts. I got the set-up cheap. I would have liked different springs as my stance is a bit off, but I'm all alighned and set now, so I'm not switching.
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

^ that's true. i forgot that's what gabe's running. i think the ride quality in his car is about perfect in terms of comfort. although, his springs apparently dropped more than he thought they would after 'settling.' i think it looks mean, though.
-Ben
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

chicken n waffles wrote: his springs apparently dropped more than he thought they would after 'settling.'
I think the drop is about perfect. It's what I wish mine were like.
Bluestreak2006
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Bluestreak2006 »

So H Techs or Prodrives? Hell I found some STI Pinks for the wagon for $230.

So I ordered the DP and just finished my gauge and pod order. So how hard is this install? Anyone planning an install day anytime soon?
Jay

11 STI Hatch
"Wagon Mafia"
Stage 1 Baby
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I may have a set of h-tech springs with less than 10k on them for sale soon....