What are your options if you see somebody speeding?

It's doesn't go anywhere? It does in here...

Moderator: Moderators

avriette
DCAWD Groupie

What are your options if you see somebody speeding?

Post by avriette »

Last night, we were driving up Mt. Akina over in Arlington, in our Mercedes E55 AMG, trying to haul up the hill, and this STI came flying past us doing well into triple digits and shamed us very badly. When we got to the top of the hill, we looked over at the guy in the STI and his wife, who were both grinning at my stupid ass pretty malevolently. I picked up my very fancy cell phone and decided to call somebody... but what could I do? Is it possible to call 911 and say "Hey, I think some guy just passed me on Mount Akina doing 120+, and I got a glimpse of his plate. Do you think you could have somebody pull that guy over?"

Sandy and I discussed this when the Mercedes^Wthe STI pulled away from us, and figured that a) it's not really culpable, and b) that by the time Arlington PD showed up looking for a "black subaru", all they could do is say "there was a complaint lodged." I suspect APD might put up a speed trap on Mt. Akina for our benefit, but it seems like it'd be a pretty random catch to find that exact car doing that exact thing.

What really upsets me about this is I got totally shamed by an econobox costing half as much, with 150 less horsepower. :wink:
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

serves you right for wasting all that money on a mercedes.

:notcool:
-Ben
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

haha wait is he asking a bunch of subaru owners if he can have a way to call the police on us and get us tickets when we speed?
chicken n waffles

why don't you explain to the arlington cops that you were racing an econobox with a big turbo, lost, and felt the need to rat him out? i'm sure they'll take pity.
-Ben
schvin
DCAWD Groupie

Post by schvin »

if there was really a mt. akina in arlington that i didn't know about... well, i'll just commit seppuku. :)
2004 impreza outback
1964 beetle
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

schvin wrote:if there was really a mt. akina in arlington that i didn't know about... well, i'll just commit seppuku. :)
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Seriously though, I don't believe this story is true, might be one of those internet legends or something.

If it is an actual event, than I'll answer it as one: Was the speeding dangerous? Were other people's lives in danger because of the speeding (traffic, peds, etc)? If so, then I'd probably be inclined to call.

If it wasn't a safety issue (zero cars, ppl on a long, empty street) then I'd probably let it slide. I certainly haven't been an angel behind the wheel.

Let he who is free of sin...
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

complacent wrote: Let he who is free of sin...
Exactly! I am sure that you bought an AMG to obey the speed limits at all times :roll:
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

Cereb Daithi wrote:haha wait is he asking a bunch of subaru owners if he can have a way to call the police on us and get us tickets when we speed?
I think everyone missed the point that I own a black STI, and don't own a Mercedes. It's just a faux pas to say that you were doing something illegal on the street.

Mount Akina is ... well, I really don't want it to become a local time attack place, so PM me if you want to know where it is. It's not wide, but just wide enough, light traffic, no place for police to hide, and it's about a 50mph rolling start. I've personally gotten to 120 at the top of it, where there's a long, flat, quiet stretch of road to slow down and act normal. Best of all, there's no (or very little) traffic.

The downhill is less fun. It's a biiiig deep chute, about a 35mph rolling start, and you can get to 95-100mph (or more, depending on how much you trust your brakes/tires) before a slight right-hander and a sharp left-hander.

Not that I'd do any of that.
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

complacent wrote:Seriously though, I don't believe this story is true, might be one of those internet legends or something.

If it is an actual event, than I'll answer it as one: Was the speeding dangerous? Were other people's lives in danger because of the speeding (traffic, peds, etc)? If so, then I'd probably be inclined to call.

Let he who is free of sin...
11pm at night, nobody on the road except 1 STI and 1 E55. Nobody in danger except the two people braking the law. (we were in a hurry to return videos)
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

avriette wrote:
Cereb Daithi wrote:haha wait is he asking a bunch of subaru owners if he can have a way to call the police on us and get us tickets when we speed?
I think everyone missed the point that I own a black STI, and don't own a Mercedes. It's just a faux pas to say that you were doing something illegal on the street.
Huh? Is this "Lost In Translation" or is it just me?

avriette wrote:Last night, we were driving up Mt. Akina over in Arlington, in our Mercedes E55 AMG, trying to haul up the hill, and this STI came flying past us doing well into triple digits and shamed us very badly.

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
schvin
DCAWD Groupie

Post by schvin »

he was the one in the sti doing the flyby.
2004 impreza outback
1964 beetle
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

schvin wrote:he was the one in the sti doing the flyby.
Yeah, I need a vacation...

avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

sirwilliam wrote:
avriette wrote:
Huh? Is this "Lost In Translation" or is it just me?
I made a Unix joke that people missed. There's a control-w (^W) after the "STI" in the post. In EMACS mode, C-w means "erase the last word, please." So it's common unix jokery to say, for instance, "I was totally drunk^W^Wentirely competent when I wrote that device driver."

I would have thought nobody would think that I would <i>really</i> want to rat out an STI tearing ass up Akina pass. I guess my sense of humor is either a little broken or a little too dry. At any rate, if you swap the cars around, that's what happened. I was wondering what E55 guy could actually do with his cell phone considering he only saw us for half a minute, and we went different directions at the top of the hill. We disappeared into residential areas, and he hit 66.

I need to get to the track. Desperately.
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

avriette wrote:
I kinda thought so. Nice "cover" tactic. 8)

Boy, the nerve of that STi driver! Such reckless disregard for the lives of innocent ... trees and ... and ... pebbles. Yeah, I got nuthin'

--Alan
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

avriette wrote: I made a Unix joke that people missed. There's a control-w (^W) after the "STI" in the post. In EMACS mode, C-w means "erase the last word, please." So it's common unix jokery to say, for instance, "I was totally drunk^W^Wentirely competent when I wrote that device driver."

I would have thought nobody would think that I would <i>really</i> want to rat out an STI tearing ass up Akina pass. I guess my sense of humor is either a little broken or a little too dry. At any rate, if you swap the cars around, that's what happened. I was wondering what E55 guy could actually do with his cell phone considering he only saw us for half a minute, and we went different directions at the top of the hill. We disappeared into residential areas, and he hit 66.

I need to get to the track. Desperately.
Hey :)
lol, I actually got your joke in the first post... but that's probably because I know you and Sandy ;) People might be more familiar with ^H since they encounter that when they hit backspace and haven't done a "stty erase ^H"... or fixed their shell, haha.

In any case, I don't think that they could have done anything. If he did actually get your lic. plate and called the cops, the worst they could do is come to your house. At that point you tell them that you mistakenly cut the E55 off and he must have been agry at you :lol:

Read this post for a good laugh sometime ;)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

haha i suppose the facts that i dont know you own a black STi, i dont know you personally, and i dont know mucha bout unix were stacked against me. :lol:
schvin
DCAWD Groupie

Post by schvin »

holy shit, stty! i never use that, habitually use printf "\033c"

ok, hijack. haha.
2004 impreza outback
1964 beetle
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

:lol2: I really need to start hosting those *nix meetings I've been talking about for YEARS...
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
snaab
DCAWD Groupie

Post by snaab »

I am so freaking lost. Were there any cars involved at all? :wiggle:
RJ
'13 Mazda3
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

lol, it's ok RJ... Just go back to the GIS stuff... we'll take it from here ;)

CN: Alex blew past a E55 AMG and was wondering if they could call the cops on him.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
chicken n waffles

i'm lost and too lazy to find the way back
-Ben
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

chicken n waffles

-Ben