Wiper Blades

It's doesn't go anywhere? It does in here...

Moderator: Moderators

Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Wiper Blades

Post by Cereb Daithi »

NEED new ones... do any of you guys seem to have issues with your wipers? mine never seem to get the job done..ive replaced them twice and all they ever seem to do is just evenly distribute the water over the windshield for optimal evaporation.. is this some sort of subaru flaw i dont know about?

i've already discovered the lovely aerodynamic feature of at least the 05 models that causes any water on the windsheild to slide along the front and into my open driver side window at any speed above about 40mph (or if it is closed...to create am abstract streak pattern across the window)

anyways i digress... i need to get something to beat that puny H20 into submission!!! any suggestions?
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Aquapel. It's like heavy duty Rain-X that lasts for six months or more. Can't beat it.

find it here.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

I only use suby brand on my rear wiper (which you don't have to worry about) b/c of the shape.

I just recently switch to BOSCH ICONs which my buddy Peaty from scoobymods uses and did a write up on:

WRITE UP

They work well, are aerodynamic, and flex to your window for better conformity for better rain/crap expulsion.

I also use rain-X...some people use aquapel but have heard bad things about it.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

schweet. thanks alot. ill have to pick some up. too bad my dad still isnt a chemist for PPG... might have been able to nab some discounted/free

(jesus that rhymes)
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

that reminds me... why dont USDM impreza sedans have rear window wiper blades? I've seen them on JDM models and i THINK EUDM...
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

sirwilliam wrote:some people use aquapel but have heard bad things about it.
Really?!? What "bad" things have you heard. Aquapel has been awesome to me so far... ??!?!
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

I haven't been too picky about what brand of wipers I buy, but maybe I should be.

I've found that the wipers I end up buying (usually some Bosch model from Advanced Auto Parts or Pep Boys) last for maybe 6-9 months before they start streaking pretty bad.

Maybe I should start looking into Rain-X or Aquapel as well as those Bosch Icons. :?:

--Alan
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

I love rainX, but haven't tried Aquapel yet. Maybe next time I need to do it I'll pick some up.

I have Valeo Ultimate's on my car. AWESOME blades!!!!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I've heard that Aquapel is no better than RainX and is more expensive (Car and Driver said the same thing too). but to be fair I've never tried Aquapel. RainX has to be reapplied every few months. I always slap on a new coat before a road trip.
HappyIdiot
DCAWD Groupie

Post by HappyIdiot »

I have the PIAA Silicon wipers blades. I absolutely love them. I've had them for a year and a half now and they still work perfectly. The nice thing is that you run them dry for about five minutes and it puts a thin layer of silicon on the windshield and it works like Rain X. I've only had to do it once since I've owned them and it still works. I'll be driving down the hwy and water runs right off. The only thing that sucks is the price. It was around $45 shipped from tirerack.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

I have used Aquapel for six months at a time, and I think it is absolutely amazing. Zero complaints here...

YMMV, I guess... :drive:
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

sabre wrote:I love rainX, but haven't tried Aquapel yet. Maybe next time I need to do it I'll pick some up.

I have Valeo Ultimate's on my car. AWESOME blades!!!!
Yeah, the Bosch Icon's are basically identical looking to the Valeo Ultimates. Not sure the differences if there are any.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
snaab
DCAWD Groupie

Post by snaab »

I use Bosch, but all blades are prone to gunkage. I wipe them off with a wet towel from time to time and it usually fixes them up nicely.
RJ
'13 Mazda3
2WDrift
I'm a n000b

Post by 2WDrift »

I don't like the Micro Edge Excel with the funky rubber, they melt on the glass when it gets hot. The regular Micro Edge are okay.
Gary
"Drift it, but don't spin..." Tanner Foust, Fed Ex 10/29/06
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

haha wow. i started qiute the discussion here....
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

I installed the Valeo's I got frm Tire Rack today. While it's not raining, I did spritz the windshield to see how they performed - they worked great! Now I just need to wait for a big rainstorm to really test them. :twisted:

--Alan
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

Hmm... I am in the market for new wipers. These'll fit any car, right?

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

They should. Check out the thread in "Exterior" for the Tire Rack sale.

--Alan
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

complacent wrote:Aquapel. It's like heavy duty Rain-X that lasts for six months or more. Can't beat it.

find it here.
I haven't washed the STI yet, but in the past I've always waxed the windshield along with the rest of the car. It's a habit I picked up a long time ago at a trade show where a guy selling car wax was showing how effective his wax was at getting water off the car and then applying it to the windshield. I was surprised, but I guess it makes sense that you polish it into a clear layer, so you should be able to see through it, and it's too slippery for water to stick to.

Anyways, regardless of wiper selection (I'll probably go with the OEM ones this winter when I replace them, the original ones are already junk at 7000 mi), you really hafta have the rainx or similar treatment on the windshield. It's a huge difference.

As far as where the rain goes, I have an 06 and I haven't noticed the car "directing" rain into the car. In fact, the rain does pretty much what I'd expect.
rocket scientist
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

I use RainX and these wiper blades. The combo made an amazing difference for me!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
cheshirecat
Unicycle

Post by cheshirecat »

I second the motion on the Bosch Icons....cheap, local, and very reliable...

I have this other issue with mine though:
(**incoming hijacker**)

My drive side wiper either: only swings to a 45 degree angle and then "crashes" back down or it will swing out so wide that it gets stuck on the side of the A pillar.....have to reach my hand out the window, in the pouring rain and free the blade.....

Talk about annoying, has anyone experienced anything similar?
:help:
Brandon

05 WRX STI
03 WRX Wagon

Racing, because all other sports require only 1 ball.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

sounds like you need to check the arm where it attaches to the wiper motor. should be able to move it into position and tighten up the nut with an open wrench.
cheshirecat
Unicycle

Post by cheshirecat »

Did that, apparently there is something that holds the arms in place and keeps it moving in its normal arc...
Brandon

05 WRX STI
03 WRX Wagon

Racing, because all other sports require only 1 ball.