Quick cooling question...

It's doesn't go anywhere? It does in here...

Moderator: Moderators

sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Quick cooling question...

Post by sirwilliam »

I know using redline water wetter in cold climate is bad, but I can't remember exactly what bad happens when you do...can someone enlighten me? thanks.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

I seem to remember that WW is a surfactant and does most of its majic by reducing the surface tension of the water. This lets smaller bubbles form on the internals of the radiator giving the liquid much more surface arae to exchange heat with.

I do not believe that it is an anti-freeze, and it may even raise the freezing temp of the coolant.

I can remember reading about a guy that had problems with the WW seperating from rest of the cooland and making an oily film. That may gell up and block some passages.

I would say get a strip of aluminum, distilled water, and a bottle of WW and stick it in the freezer and see if anything happens...
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

zaxrex wrote: I would say get a strip of aluminum, distilled water, and a bottle of WW and stick it in the freezer and see if anything happens...
and let us know what happens!!!!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

water wetter isn't anti-freeze, that's why it's bad for us. like Zak said, it just breaks down the surface tension of the water. if you make sure to flush before the cold weather you'll be fine. personally I don't think it's worth the trouble to completely flush the coolant system twice a year.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
spazegun2213
teh Spaz

Re: Quick cooling question...

Post by spazegun2213 »

sirwilliam wrote:I know using redline water wetter in cold climate is bad, but I can't remember exactly what bad happens when you do...can someone enlighten me? thanks.
Umm, if the water freezes, you are FOOKED, my friend just split his GSXR-1000 engine block keeping that stuff in for the winter.

other than that.. i dont know. But thats a BIG oops!!
96 328, heated leather seats... ummm

Gone But not forgotten
'05 Black Sti, the car that started it all
84 944, my first race car.. what a pos
83 944.. 150hp of FURY, Rookie of the year chariot
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Re: Quick cooling question...

Post by sirwilliam »

spazegun2213 wrote:
sirwilliam wrote:I know using redline water wetter in cold climate is bad, but I can't remember exactly what bad happens when you do...can someone enlighten me? thanks.
Umm, if the water freezes, you are FOOKED, my friend just split his GSXR-1000 engine block keeping that stuff in for the winter.

other than that.. i dont know. But thats a BIG oops!!
But that is if you are running water w/ WW in it w/o anitfreeze, correct? I am pretty sure there is no water in the WW.

Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

water wetter is an adaptive to water (distilled) for the cooling system. it is used instead of antifreeze in cars that don't see freezing temps (race cars, drag cars, SoCal cars). I don't think it's used in addition to antifreeze, but I could be wrong.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Mr Kleen wrote:water wetter is an adaptive to water (distilled) for the cooling system. it is used instead of antifreeze in cars that don't see freezing temps (race cars, drag cars, SoCal cars). I don't think it's used in addition to antifreeze, but I could be wrong.
Yes, it is used in addition to antifreeze...it says so on the back of my bottle. It works best mixed w/ 100% distilled water but that is not good for cold climates. Talked to a buddy of mine, Peaty, who wrote me:

I can't see why WW would be bad in colder climes. I've been using it for years and it gets pretty cold here. We've seen below -6F (-21C) with no issues.

He is also the one who gave me the above link.

Here is the redline link on the WW:

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_coolant.asp

spazegun2213
teh Spaz

Post by spazegun2213 »

sirwilliam wrote:
Yes, it is used in addition to antifreeze...it says so on the back of my bottle. It works best mixed w/ 100% distilled water but that is not good for cold climates. Talked to a buddy of mine, Peaty, who wrote me:

I can't see why WW would be bad in colder climes. I've been using it for years and it gets pretty cold here. We've seen below -6F (-21C) with no issues.

He is also the one who gave me the above link.

Here is the redline link on the WW:

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_coolant.asp
Will,
its not BAD in winter climates unless you do water and WW. If you have enough antifreeze i think you will be ok, but in the winter why worry about adding that stuff? may as well save it for the summer when cooling is a bigger issue...

oh, but if you DO try it, let me know how you like it!!!!
96 328, heated leather seats... ummm

Gone But not forgotten
'05 Black Sti, the car that started it all
84 944, my first race car.. what a pos
83 944.. 150hp of FURY, Rookie of the year chariot
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

spazegun2213 wrote:
Will,
its not BAD in winter climates unless you do water and WW. If you have enough antifreeze i think you will be ok, but in the winter why worry about adding that stuff? may as well save it for the summer when cooling is a bigger issue...

oh, but if you DO try it, let me know how you like it!!!!
Yes, I realize this. But if you put the redline in during the summer, you aren't going to replace your antifreeze 5 months later for winter.

Yeah, I need to replace the antifreeze and then I will throw the water wetter in...this helps when outdoor temps are around 100+ degrees which hopefully the summer will not bring.

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

sirwilliam wrote:this helps when outdoor temps are around 100+ degrees which hopefully the summer will not bring.
lol, you live around the DC area, so this is no longer a hope, it's a fact of life...
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.