Alan - 195/200
Julian - 285/310
Gabe - 225/220
Zak - 271/276
Phil - 215/230
Siegfreid - 375/330
Dan - 340/320
Colin - 261/281
Last edited by ElZorro on Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

I missed a bunch of numbers at the end, unfortunetly some of the interesting ones. The '06 WRX (with slight mods) came in very close (-10%) of the '05 and '06 STI. Amazing what the 2.5L does for you. :)

If anyone wants we can post up their dyno plots, send them on over to jason at dcawd . com or post them on another site and use the img tag to link them into your post.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

I was very impressed by both the 06 WRX as well as the 06 STi. Good numbers indeed. Look out fellas, the new hawtness is going to be trouble...

:)

(added my numbers to the list as well)
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

should I email AA so they know my addy for the dyno plot? I don't mind sharing mine and I would like to know everyone's opinion of my results. I've been really really happy with the car and I think I can now claim 300 [crank] horsepower to the laymen. is that out of the question?
syoung298
I'm a n000b

Post by syoung298 »

Had a great time at the event. Look forward to getting together for others.

Cheers,

syoung298

Siegfreid
05 STI GT35R
05 gt35RSTI
BLAQ19
I'm a n000b

Post by BLAQ19 »

I got 227 / 246

Jerel a.k.a. Cleveland

WRB 06' WRX
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

OK, a year and a half has passed since my last dyno. This year the DynoJet said I was 271HP and 276TQ. Last year theDynaPack said I was 289HP and 272TQ. The best plot from 2004 was tuned by "Element" Phil (then Turbo XS) was the same map that I used for the green run (#2) at Altered. The red one from altered is my little extra flavor. Now I hope I'm not going out of line here, but if I added my 10 extra HP from my map to the run from last year, I would say that on some dyno's (high reading dynapack) I am tickling the 300 HP mark, at the wheels. Add in a conservative loss of 60 HP for parasitic and drivetrain losses, and I could say with confidence that I am hitting 360 crank HP.

Mod list:
FMIC, TXS shorty intake, VF-30, wrapped headers, TXS turbo-back exhaust, UTEC EM, Aquamist 1S 50/50 water methanol injection, ported and polished throttle body, with a 1/5 mix of ethanol to 93 octane.
Last edited by zaxrex on Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
WANGAN_X
DCAWD Groupie

Post by WANGAN_X »

lil lower than i thought :roll:
Last edited by WANGAN_X on Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

resize meeeee!!!!!!!!1111

(pls for teh love of GOD)

great numbers though! congrats!
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

I wish I could have come out for this. I can't tell you all how bummed I am to have missed it.
Some very nice numbers over all.

Gabe: at 225whp you can probably claim 300 crank hp. It isn't much of a stretch at all. 225/220 are great numbers for a stock turbo. Where did your peaks hit?

Zak: 271/276 that was a nice run.
Let that chart stand as a shining example of what a lean mix does for power:
12.83/1 271/276
12.42/1 258/258
10.?/1 18?/15? (now that's rich)

And I have to agree with Colin, the 06's are going to put down some serious power!
227/246 on a 06 WRX with stock turbo and no EM!

I have to recite my mantra now.
"Must not buy 06 WRX! Must save money! Must be happy with my 260 whp!"
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

We missed you Darrin. Had to tell a couple of people how the UTEC works and what you could do with it and your name came up a lot.

Glad you are back in town.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
spazegun2213
teh Spaz

Post by spazegun2213 »

Damn, nice numbers guys!! i wish i could have been there... stupid school, next year though, I'll be there!!
96 328, heated leather seats... ummm

Gone But not forgotten
'05 Black Sti, the car that started it all
84 944, my first race car.. what a pos
83 944.. 150hp of FURY, Rookie of the year chariot
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

drwrx wrote:I wish I could have come out for this. I can't tell you all how bummed I am to have missed it.
Some very nice numbers over all.

Gabe: at 225whp you can probably claim 300 crank hp. It isn't much of a stretch at all. 225/220 are great numbers for a stock turbo. Where did your peaks hit?
we missed you but I think another one is in the works for January/February time frame.

I'll post up the graph as soon as I get it from AA. I would like to have a nice sit down analysis of what's going on so I'm 100% sure I understand what I've got. (over some HT chili?) I *think* my peak HP was around 6000 and TQ was around 4500 but the TQ curve was really flat and HP was a steady climb. am I reading this thing backwards?
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Mr Kleen wrote:I *think* my peak HP was around 6000 and TQ was around 4500 but the TQ curve was really flat and HP was a steady climb. am I reading this thing backwards?
Yep, your reading it right. And that is exactly how you want it to be. Ideally you want your torque to hit as early, and be as flat, and carry as long as possible. Ideally, when your torque starts to dip your HP should be overlapping it. The peaks should also be as far to the left as you can get. Well tuned stock turbo WRXs tend to hit peak torque around 4k and peak whp around 6k, which is right where your at.
ian
I walk to work

Post by ian »

hey guys! been caught up with work lately so.......... i have time to post up my numbers now... i just don't know what to post... i'm dyno newb so can I fax my sheet to someone? I don't have a scanner but i WILL make use of the fax machine at work :) and maybe they can scan and post the pic.
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

zaxfax 703.519.8511

Telling the colors appart is going to be tough though.
ian
I walk to work

Post by ian »

here we go guys! big THANKS to zax for the scan.. .it looks weirdish but readable.

can someone show me how to read this? one of the AA guys told me that blue is HP and red is TQ. and how come I got a low reading (188.73, 182.17)? And the indicated dot on the graph is a different # from the one listed on the bottom of the paper.... i'm confused.. HELP!

Last edited by ian on Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

coolcool man :) good numbers and I love teh avatar.
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
ian
I walk to work

Post by ian »

ah hey colin! long time dude, missed ya at the dyno! thx, could be better if tuned.. my A/F is crap. oh wells.... can't expect too much untuned eh? :)
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Hey Ian, if you want a better scan try sending the fax in a higher rez setting. What you see is how it came through on the fax machine before being scanned. I'll be back in the office on Monday and can do it again if you need.

Your max TQ on your red plot is at just over 4000 RPM. If you look close, there is a vertical line that runs through all the TQ and HP plots. It is at this RPM that all the numbers on the plot are taken at. The text at the bottom lists the max HP and the max TQ for each run, but the numbers on the plot are only where the max TQ RPM line intersects the other plots. the figures on the graph are just at 4+k rpm where your red run made the most torque.

Your HP graph is the one that gradualy climbs up and peaks out at about 6K, while your TQ graph is at 4K then tapers off.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

this would be much easier to read if AA would send out the dyno graphs. :roll:

/beatsdeadhorse
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Did you get a color print of the dyno graph? If so, I can scan it in high and low resolution and e-mail them to you. Just bring it to the next meet. Or lay it out on a flat surface and shoot it with a good digital camera (3 megapixels or better)

Without knowing your car and your mods better I would resist the urge to judge whether or not your those are "low" numbers. 240 whp and torque is nothing to sneeze at. My guess is those are average #s for an STi with a TBE and maybe some baseline engine management. My guess is your losing some power up top due to the extremely rich mixture above 4,500 RPMs. It's dropping below 10 to 1 at around 5,000. You can easily run 10.5 to 11 to 1 all the way to red line. However, your running a bit lean for a good bit as well. Your well over 12 to 1 at 3,500 RPMs on one of the runs and my guess is your near peak boost at that point. That's a bit too lean by my standards, unless your running race gas or have some sort of auxillary fuel source (water/alky injection).
ian
I walk to work

Post by ian »

thx for the offer zax but i won't be in my office til monday =/ and our fax sucks.. but i'll see if theres a hi-res option :)

otherwise i'll do what drwrx said - take a hi-res pic :)

drwrx - no tbe =/ I only have a catback and intake (both HKS if that matters) and a grounding kit - that might alter the graph a bit. I definitely need that tune bad. thx for the analysis guys! anymore explanation? i'm learnin alot
gsx-lex
DCAWD Groupie

Post by gsx-lex »

drwrx wrote: You can easily run 10.5 to 11 to 1 all the way to red line. However, your running a bit lean for a good bit as well. Your well over 12 to 1 at 3,500 RPMs on one of the runs and my guess is your near peak boost at that point. That's a bit too lean by my standards

You meantioned that you have a cat-back exhaust, then I assume that you still have a cat in place. If this is the case, then you have to take into consideration that the mixture getting sucked up by the dynojet WBo2 is leaner than what is actually produced from the exhaust. Therefore you can roughly subtract 1 from your POST CAT WBo2 reading. In other words, you can tune for a 12.5-13:1 ratio with the cat on.
Have turbo, will spool.
I <3 Lesbians
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

gsx-lex wrote:You meantioned that you have a cat-back exhaust, then I assume that you still have a cat in place. If this is the case, then you have to take into consideration that the mixture getting sucked up by the dynojet WBo2 is leaner than what is actually produced from the exhaust. Therefore you can roughly subtract 1 from your POST CAT WBo2 reading. In other words, you can tune for a 12.5-13:1 ratio with the cat on.
I agree. If you've still got the stock cats (1 in downpipe, 1 in midpipe) in place than you're running REALLY rich up top. That also alleviates most of my concerns about your running too lean on the low end.

My guess is that your ECU has very little advanced timing. That might help explain the high fuel ratio up top. Again, a good tune would improve your top end numbers.