DCAWD Killadelphia Meet Aug 25-26

Anything we do that isn't a meet :)

Moderator: Moderators

Would you like a tour a Philadelphia?

Yes, I want to live out my Rocky fantasy and climb a bunch of stairs.
86%
Mebbeh, I tend to confuse easily and have trouble making decisions.
14%
No, I don't want see that %#&%ing city with alll those cheesesteak eating bastards.
No votes

Total votes: 7

Libra Monkee

DCAWD Killadelphia Meet Aug 25-26

Post by Libra Monkee »

I/ We will soon be doing a trip up to Philadelphia with your very own half-assed tour guide!

Traveler's Info
Couple of things people who are going should know:
- TOLLS: For those who've never made the trip, tolls are a pain. Going, there are $2, $5, and $3 tolls in that order. Coming back, there's only the $3 and $2 tolls. Also, if you don't have an EZ-Pass or equivalent let me know before hand so you don't get left at the tolls.
- HOTEL: We'll be staying at the Holiday Inn off of City Line Ave. I'm trying to get information on group rates but their standard rates are $138 per room.
- TRAVEL DATES: I figure for the sake of time and traffic we should leave here the Friday before (yes that means two nights in the hotel). Then return on Sunday evening.
- 2-WAY RADIOS: If you have'em, bring'em. It'll make communicating on the road a lot easier should the need arise. (someone gets separated, Gas emergency, potty emergency, need to tell someone how much of a bastard you think they are, etc)
-MEETING UP: We should get on the road somewhere between 7:30-8:00 if we want to get to Philly by 10:30. That said, I think we should meet up in the Vinny's parking lot (since everyone knows where it is) at 7:00 on Friday the 24th.

Itinerary?!?!
I'm pretty much going to play this by ear (the whole "best laid plans" thing) but here are some key things.
-Once we get checked in to the hotel those who are brave enough can ride with me to Dalessandro's to get their first taste of Philadelphia.
-Next morning (in as few cars as possible) we'll ride through Fairmount Park to West River Drive which will take us in front of Boat House Row and spit us out in front of the Art Museum.
-Then we can follow the B. Franklin Pkwy down and around City Hall. The best place i've found to park there, so far, is Reading Terminal.
-From there we can walk to City Hall, JFK Plaza (aka Love Park), and maybe Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, and Olde City. That might be a bit of walk though so I'm looking for alternatives that don't involve horses.
-The Google map of the war path, er... TOUR PATH can be found here.

CarPool
Vehicle 1
1. L. Monkee

Vehicle 2
1. Phibs
2. DrWrx
3. Jamie

Vehicle 3
1. Complacent
2. Laura
3. Chicken n Waffles

Vehicle 4
1. Sabre
2. Suzy
3. Mr Kleen

Blue Lightning & The Black Pearl

Attendees:
1. Libra Monkee (The Philadelphia Philly)
2. Chicken n Waffles (Eagles-hater)
3. Mr. Kleen (Camdenophobe)
4. Complacent + Laura (Nor'easters)
5. Avriette + Sandy (Incidental tourists)
6. Sabre + Suzy (Schuykill swimmers)
7. Phibs (PhillySTIne)
8. DrWRX + Jamie (real life Rocky & Adrian)
Last edited by Libra Monkee on Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:36 pm, edited 19 times in total.

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

i'm in for illadelph.

i must:

- run up the rocky stairs (and avoid getting my isht wrecked by locals when doing so)

- get a philly cheesesteak

- drink on broad street

- see the liberty bell

- make fun of people wearing flyers jerseys
-Ben
gsx-lex
DCAWD Groupie

Post by gsx-lex »

Add Philly Dyno Works to the list. I will get you guys great dyno rates.
I lived in Center City for over 5 years, and go back at least 2 times a month.

Add to list:

Philly Dyno Works
Cheese Steaks
Old City
King of Prussia Mall (Second largest Suburban Mall in America)
pictures at boat house Row

Have turbo, will spool.
I <3 Lesbians
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

I was just up there. But I would like to go back under different circumstances. Alas, since I am gone for the month of july, and have maybe one weekend free in August, I might not be available in the near future.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I want to eat an authentic Philly cheese steak, see the Liberty Bell, and do something related to Ben Franklin (coolest founding father by a long shot and only guy smiling on his money shot).

not to worried about Rocky stairs or suburban malls... :wink:
snaab
DCAWD Groupie

Post by snaab »

Mr Kleen wrote:(coolest founding father by a long shot and only guy smiling on his money shot)
How very true... when were you thinking, Chuck?
chicken n waffles

yeah i could skip the mall thing but you WILL run up the damned stairs with me, gabe.

THIS... I COMMAND.

-Ben
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

:shock:

:leaving:
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

snaab wrote:
Mr Kleen wrote:(coolest founding father by a long shot and only guy smiling on his money shot)
How very true... when were you thinking, Chuck?
Sometime before summer's end. So before the end of August.

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

IN.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

summer ends in September. :wink:
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Re: DCAWD Killadelphia Meet (Gauging interest)

Post by avriette »

Libra Monkee wrote:I figure it would be a weekend deal that the tourist thing could be done during the day and the nightlife thing could be done during the night. I'm sure I could find a decent hotel (cost / location). I could work out more details if this becomes more real and less in my head.

Interested? Yay? Nay?
I think Sandy and I would both like that. But to get us both in one place for more than a few hours requires a few weeks' notice. When were you thinking?
rocket scientist
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

Mr Kleen wrote:summer ends in September. :wink:
I don't operate on your puny human calendars. :D

Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

For all that were interested in this (all 5 of you) I figure we can do this the the last weekend in August (25th & 26th). For the sake of location and cost I suggest getting a room at the Comfort Inn at Penn's Landing. It's between Columbus Blvd. & the Delaware River and overlooks scenic Camden. :? Rooms there are about $159 /night.

It's either that or a hotel that may or may not be more expensive bit also has no free parking.

Waddaya think?

chicken n waffles

Libra Monkee wrote:For all that were interested in this (all 5 of you) I figure we can do this the the last weekend in August (25th & 26th). For the sake of location and cost I suggest getting a room at the Comfort Inn at Penn's Landing. It's between Columbus Blvd. & the Delaware River and overlooks scenic Camden. :? Rooms there are about $159 /night.

It's either that or a hotel that may or may not be more expensive bit also has no free parking.

Waddaya think?
is that a safe area? could i leave my car outside and not fear for it? i'm all for staying somewhere cheap (i'll sleep on the floor if i have to... i don't particularly care) but i want to make sure my isht's safe.
-Ben
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Hell ya we'd be up for it :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

Quick up date on parking. Yes, it's relatively safe (for parking downtown in a major city) but, it's $20 a night per car. This seems to be the norm for all the downtown hotels that allow self parking. The only way I see around this is to move out of downtown.

There's a Hilton in West Philly with $154 rooms and $5.00 parking or there's a Holiday Inn that's just around the corner with $119 rooms and FREE parking. Either way we'd still have to make the trek back to the downtown for all the cool touristy stuff.

It all depends on how close you guys want to be. I'll now suggest the Holiday Inn primarily for the price, parking situation, and it's right at Fairmount Park which we could drive through to get to Boat House Row, The Art Museum, Ben Franklin Pkwy, City Hall, and Downtown (in that order). However, if there's going to be any late night stuff on South St or in Old City it'd be a pretty hefty cab ride getting back.

Questions, comments, concerns?

Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

we can carpool to save on parking/gas/toll expenses. I don't mind paying a little extra for a nicer place.

I'm a light sleeper, so if anybody snores please let me know so I can pick a different room mate. :wink:
chicken n waffles

do any of these places in downtown have garage or indoor parking?
-Ben
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

Mr Kleen wrote:I don't mind paying a little extra for a nicer place.
I'm not going to suggest or even mention what I think would be a bad hotel. All the hotels I'm even considering are 1) close to (if not) in downtown, 2) cost effective (unlike the Ritz-Carlton that was $400 a night for the cheap room :shock: ), 3) has clean rooms, and 4) is in a safe nough area that we can park cars without worrying about them. (If you hadn't noticed, I drive the same car ya'll do. :D )

Otherwise I'd just pick the cheapest Motor Lodge in Camden and call it a day. ;) The Holiday Inn isn't that far away. It's just not in Downtown.
chicken n waffles wrote:do any of these places in downtown have garage or indoor parking?
Yes, but you're gonna pay for it and it's mostly via valet only. Of course there's the option of finding public pay garage that's near hotel and that you can leave the car in overnight.

But, like I said, it's up to you guys. I've already seen everything worth seeing there at least six times (except
for the National Constitution Center, that's fairly new).

Close to attractions and more expensive or not-too-far from attractions and less expensive?

chicken n waffles

how about less expensive and safer for our cars? if that means being out of the immediate downtown area, so be it.
-Ben
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

chicken n waffles wrote:how about less expensive and safer for our cars? if that means being out of the immediate downtown area, so be it.
In that case I again suggest the Holiday Inn off City Line Ave. Plus that hotel's not too far from the ice cream shop that I get my Upside-down Banana Splits from. :drool:

Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Libra Monkee wrote:...I get my Upside-down Banana Splits... :drool:
I didn't ask, you don't tell
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

Mr Kleen wrote:
Libra Monkee wrote:...I get my Upside-down Banana Splits... :drool:
I didn't ask, you don't tell

Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

I am definitely down, let me know.