Paintball - Gauging Interest

Anything we do that isn't a meet :)

Moderator: Moderators

Would you be up for DCAWD Paintball?

No - Guns are bad.
No votes
No - but maybe if it was closer to DC...
No votes
No - but maybe if it was cheaper...
No votes
Yes - do it soon!
50%
Yes - wait until fall when it is cooler.
40%
Yes - but do it at ___ instead. (List below.)
10%

Total votes: 10

ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Paintball - Gauging Interest

Post by ElZorro »

Ok, we've been kicking around doing paintball for awhile. The place I've been to in the past is Hogback Mountain. They are just off Route 15 about half way between Leesburg and US 50. It's about a 40 mile drive from Hardtimes in Springfield (because I know everyone thinks in terms of Hardtimes. :) )

For a group of 8, per person it's $60 for a full day or $45 for a half day. That includes 500 balls and gun rental. Unless you are USMC RSTA you'll want more balls than that.

Can we get a group of 8 together? Shout out if you are at least 75% likely to do this.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
Tom Sullivan
I'm a n000b

Post by Tom Sullivan »

Pevs is another option, if you guys let me know, i can get a crap load of paint for cheap.
2005 WR Blue WRX STI, Gold BBS Rims (with Curb rash...arghh!!!)
Ground Wire Mod (custom baby!!!)
K&N typhoon Shorty Intake
Cusco Sway Bars and Front Strut Brace
Pe
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

you know i'm down for this :)

colin
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

The Dude might be interested, I'll pass him the word. I've never played paintball... :oops:
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

You know I'm down for this... Just don't tell Luke (IM'ed him on this!!)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
schvin
DCAWD Groupie

Post by schvin »

i go to pev's with some friends probably every few weeks. hogback is ok too... if people are interested i can post when we are going also on this board. most of us have our own equip though, makes the weekly cost much lower ;)
2004 impreza outback
1964 beetle
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

Do you have a website for pev's?

Feel free to post up anything you want to invite folks to. Either "other club's meets" if it's car related or off-topic if it's not.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
schvin
DCAWD Groupie

Post by schvin »

yep:

http://www.agpaintballgames.com/home.htm

they are a big competitor of hog back, actually. kind of weird, i like both places, but most people either love one and hate the other, or the opposite. kind of weird ;)

either is fine with me... they're both in the same general vicinity.
2004 impreza outback
1964 beetle
Osiros
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Osiros »

I'd be down - got some of my own gear that I haven't brought out in quite a long time. My vote is for doing it in the fall though when it's cooler. I've played ball in the summer and between dealing with the sweat, the heat, the blown gaskets on the bottles, and did I mention the heat?? there are better ways to spend that much money and time.

It's be a great way to spend a day though, especially if we can get an outting with only our group. Pickup games are ok but groups are far better.

My vote is for anywhere but Pevs. Got turned off to them when I started checking out other shops. The attitude factor at Pevs is wayyyy too high.
AJ711
Bicycle

Post by AJ711 »

Hogback is having a Big Game on the 26th that I'm headed to. Apparently is a Normandy Invasion type of thing, should be interesting.

I'm meeting a coworker there, but anyone else is more than able to tag along. The 'cocker is up and running correctly, and the vertical regulator shouldn't crap out on me, but the stand-by low pressure Spyder TL will be in the trunk in case anything happens.

Specifics, here.
June 26: Normandy landingBig Game. Cabin side.
Immediate regeneration game. Set up 9am, 10am brief, play until 4pm.
Advanced Tickets purchased by June 19th $10; $15 after that.
All advanced tickets include a free Hogback T-shirt,
Gate admission $15. Door prize includes 2 Ions and one Golden Hogback Pass
Field Paint Only [$60 a case]. Rentals only $10.
Paint is a bit expensive, but I will probably go through just a case. And depending on how strict they are about FPO, I may be able to bring the myriad of paint I have sitting around as extra. :twisted:

AJ
Cage: '98 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS, caged Uncaged: '05 Suzuki SV650S
'03 Forester XS, Team Grocery Getter
gsx-lex
DCAWD Groupie

Post by gsx-lex »

I'd love to make it to this but i have other engagements. When i was in college, I was captain of Drexel's xball team which at one point was the number one collegent team in the country. beleive it or not, i've never played woods/rec ball, i've always played speedball, so i'm sure you guys would kick my ass anyways :)
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

I am NOT playing with ^^^ guy!

j/k ;)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Tom Sullivan
I'm a n000b

Post by Tom Sullivan »

Yeah, im a tourney player myself. Been out of it a bit due to time, dad dieng, finding a much more expensive hobby :twisted: etc.

So yeah, if you all want to play, i can get bulk paint discounts and save a good amount of money for everyone. Let me know.
2005 WR Blue WRX STI, Gold BBS Rims (with Curb rash...arghh!!!)
Ground Wire Mod (custom baby!!!)
K&N typhoon Shorty Intake
Cusco Sway Bars and Front Strut Brace
Pe
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

I'm on their team. :)

Now all we have to do is get about 3 more people and we'll try to get it set up for real. :)
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
AJ711
Bicycle

Post by AJ711 »

Yay! Paint slingers! ;)

I'm just kidding with you guys. I would have enjoyed getting into tourney play (got an ECA started during college, after 3 years of hard work, and they have a couple of teams that play locally in MD 2 years later) but the cost is just rediculous. That, and I was spending money on the car at that point. :twisted:

I'm sure you'll still have fun in the woods. Same basic principles apply. Don't get outflanked, tunnel vision sucks, teammates really help, angles are cool and so on and so forth. However, you're playing on something larger than a postage stamp, with plenty of creative places to hide.

I'm game for whatever. There are a bunch of big game/scenario games in and around the area throughout the summer/fall. Maybe we could all sign up on the same team and have some fun?

AJ
Cage: '98 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS, caged Uncaged: '05 Suzuki SV650S
'03 Forester XS, Team Grocery Getter
gsx-lex
DCAWD Groupie

Post by gsx-lex »

i've been looking for a local speedball/xball team, if anyone plays and needs and extra Cover (though i can also play tape).

I've played 4 years competitively at a college level, yet i'm sure any of you would kick my ass in woods ball, i totally suck at it.
gsx-lex
DCAWD Groupie

Post by gsx-lex »

i was planning on going to Outdoor Adventures tomorrow to play some pickup speedball, if anyone is intersted please email me and we can meet somewhere.
ThaDude
I walk to work

Post by ThaDude »

I would be down for a little paintball this fall for sure! :twisted:
If I only had a brain....
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Me wanna play.

Post by zaxrex »

I've been to both Pevs and Koggback. I think hoggs has nicer facilities & logistics and is more proffesional and expensive. The manager there sometimes gets in pissy moods and likes to shopw everybody who is in charge.

I find Pevs is more laid-back, the reffs are a bit more slack, the dead zones aren't protected well, and if you blow a seal or run out of air, it is a long way to the next tank.

It sounds like a few of us have our own equipment. Would there be a reduction in price if we didn't have to rent?
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

Hogback is $45 for a full day if you bring your own equipment. They supply air and 500 balls.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

me = no equipment :(

but i'm still down for this :)

colin
R3D_RUMM
Unicycle

Post by R3D_RUMM »

Oh...I am SOOO Down! Heheh I just read your comment awhile back there Julian...lol

I will check into the prices I can get on base! Should be a good deal..might be less ammo, but around 20-30 for allday and a rental and 250 rounds or so. I think if we do it this way and all chip in a little and go to walmart and buy loads of ammo for cheap!
**2003 BMW 325XI**
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

b/c I am such an elitist, I have to bring my own balls for you to play with...

Wait, that sounded weird, forget that. I have a longer barrel that needs special balls...

Damn, that didn't work either. With my superior range, I'll just lay back and tag y'all in the backside when you aren't looking.

Argh, that is not what I wanted to say. Just lay down and play dead, it will be over soon... :shock:
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

^^^^ :rolllaugh: :rolllaugh: :rolllaugh:
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

zaxrex wrote:b/c I am such an elitist, I have to bring my own balls for you to play with...

Wait, that sounded weird, forget that. I have a longer barrel that needs special balls...

Damn, that didn't work either. With my superior range, I'll just lay back and tag y'all in the backside when you aren't looking.

Argh, that is not what I wanted to say. Just lay down and play dead, it will be over soon... :shock:
Damn, the dude spends a couple days in Montana and he comes back like this... what, the sheep turn you down? :screwy:
Jason "El Zorro" Fox