2005 DCAWD AutoX class with Brian Garfield!

Anything we do that isn't a meet :)

Moderator: Moderators

ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

2005 DCAWD AutoX class with Brian Garfield!

Post by ElZorro »

Great news! I'm coordinating with Brian Garfield to arrange another weekday AutoX class. (Details at http://solo.wdcr-scca.org/noviceSchool.php) For those that participated last year you know how much fun this is. For those that didn't, check our gallery at http://gallery.dcawd.com/DCAWDMeet071204 for some pictures. (Definetly check out the videos, they give you a flavor of what happened). Last year was two groups of 6. We worked through the material that would be covered in a level 1 and level 2 course, so this year some of us may opt for level 2 and level 3. Even if you don't plan on doing AutoX this can help you become more confident behind the wheel and help you understand what your car is capable of.

What we would like to do this year is aim for two days: June 20th and July 14th. More days can be added as necessary, starting the following week. I would like all cash in hand by our meet on May 12th. If we can fill each class with 6 people it will be $220 a person, this covers the class and lunch. (Plus a small amount of "reserve" we will use for DCAWD). Well worth it for a day of guided instuction (him in the car with you, him driving your car and embarrasing you to the point you cry like a little girl, your friends laughing at how many cones you hit, etc). If we can not fill a day the class will be more and you will have a chance to opt out. We will take cash or check, and Paypal is available (you will need to pay the charges, contact me in advance for the cost). Because the number of people taking the class effects the price, if you need to cancel it is your responsibility to sell your spot to someone else. This is a "rain or shine" event.

Priority will be given in this order:

- Folks that went last year
- DCAWD forum members
- AWD cars
- Anyone else

So, what do you need to do?
- Send me an email (jason nospamno at dcawd.com) or PM (Elzorro on http://forums.dcawd.com, http://www.nasioc.com and http://www.subaruforester.com) and let me know which day you prefer, your contact info (email and !phone number!) and your car details (make, model, mods, tires).
- Get a helmet.

Look forward to hearing from you!

Directions:

The schools will take place at Harry Grove Stadium in Frederick, MD.

Getting to the stadium: Take I70 to exit 54. The stadium is on the North side of I70 and the west side of the exit. You can see the lot from the Interstate.

From the east: Get off the ramp and immediately stay left to the light and you'll be facing the stadium. Make a left at the light and as you follow the road around you'll see the parking lot on your right, next to the Stadium.

From the west: Get off the ramp and stay to the left. Make a left at the light, go across I70 and make a left at the next light. As you follow the road around you'll see the parking lot on your right, next to the Stadium.

Map here. Note, the entrance to the parking lot is actually on "New Design Road", on the back side of the stadium.

Attendees:

June 20th (Monday) - Harry Grove - $220
1) Julian (Sabre) - STi - paid
2) Shannon - WRX - paid
3) Jared - STi - paid
4) Andrew - 05 WRX Wagon, Potenza - paid
5) Mark (Zoinks)- WRX - paid
6) Tgui - paid $250

July 14th (Thursday) - Harry Grove - $220
1) Jason (ElZorro) - FXT - paid
2) psyber_0ptix - paid
3) Ed (saint_foo) - Miata - paid - out
4) Jim - paid
5) SJF01 - paid
6) TBD
Last edited by ElZorro on Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:21 pm, edited 21 times in total.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

You know I'm there :)
ButtDyno
I walk to work

Post by ButtDyno »

I will be in vacation debt til September :(

Y'all need to sign up for some events! :D
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

ButtDyno wrote:I will be in vacation debt til September :(

I presume you mean VIR and such... I'm getting there... Just need to get the confidence up.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Katya4me
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Katya4me »

So, where are you guys showing off your newfound autox skills? :P Shawn and I have done 5 autoxes so far this year and we're doing 2 more this weekend. He's being mean and making me drive the Miata w/ Hoosiers on it on Sunday in ESL. Hopefully I don't get addicted to the R-comps.

I wanna see you guys out there this summer!!!!! I've got a list of all the local autoxes on the MEC board and I can crosspost it here if you want.
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

I wouldn't want to embarrass you by beating you with the Forester... :) Jokes aside, I probably won't be doing too many official events. Lots of waiting, watching, and hassle for little reward. :)

You are more than welcome to cross post the list, throw it under the "other club's events".
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Katya4me wrote:So, where are you guys showing off your newfound autox skills? :P Shawn and I have done 5 autoxes so far this year and we're doing 2 more this weekend. He's being mean and making me drive the Miata w/ Hoosiers on it on Sunday in ESL. Hopefully I don't get addicted to the R-comps.

I wanna see you guys out there this summer!!!!! I've got a list of all the local autoxes on the MEC board and I can crosspost it here if you want.
I bet you love the Miata... Those things were made for AutoX ;)

Cross post away!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
ButtDyno
I walk to work

Post by ButtDyno »

Sabre wrote:
ButtDyno wrote:I will be in vacation debt til September :(

I presume you mean VIR and such... I'm getting there... Just need to get the confidence up.
Nah. I mean Fedex/Rosecroft/Ripken. There are still TONS of events left.

IMHO you should do a year or two of autox before doing open track stuff... best to spin for the first time at 50 mph, rather than 90.

Incidentally there is a pretty comprehensive list of local autox/track events stickied in teh Mid-A.

john
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

ButtDyno wrote: Incidentally there is a pretty comprehensive list of local autox/track events stickied in teh Mid-A.
john
It would be nice if this were added to that list... ;)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
ButtDyno
I walk to work

Post by ButtDyno »

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

ButtDyno wrote:Added to the sticky thread

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=630622
You are the man :)
Thanks John!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

I think I'm going to sit this one out... It was a blast last time, but I don't think my set up is well suited to the size of the course there.

...There's just something about spending the entire time in either first or second gear. I think I prefer being able to rip through the gears. :lol:

colin
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

I definately want in on this! My only concern is that I wasn't there last year. Would I need to take Level 1 before this class? And can someone recommend a helmet?

Unfortunately, I seem to have asked for time off over the preceeding weekend ... and I can't remember why. Put me as a maybe until I can figure out why I mysteriously have vacation planned around that time. :lol:

--Alan
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

Because of the small group size things can be tailored to your ability level. If we have two days, we will try to seperate folks by experience.

For helmets, it needs to be a DOT/SNELL approved helmet. I grabbed an open-face helmet from Speed Unlimited in MD for a little over $100. I would recommend going to a store to find one, the fit is very important.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

I remembered why Ii have the prior weekend off ... my roommate's bachelor party in Atlantic City.

Maybe I shouldn't be getting behind the wheel of a car immediately after that. :twisted:

Count me out, then.

--Alan
ShannonO
I'm a n000b

Post by ShannonO »

I'm in!!!!
Jard
I'm a n000b

Post by Jard »

I'm in also. Gee, this doesn't look conspicuous at all. :roll:
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Jard wrote:I'm in also. Gee, this doesn't look conspicuous at all. :roll:
No.... not at all.... What will be interesting to see is who gets the lowest times ;) Shannon, having driven a "real" STI in Australia, or Jard, with the uber USDM STI....
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Jard
I'm a n000b

Post by Jard »

sabre wrote:
Jard wrote:I'm in also. Gee, this doesn't look conspicuous at all. :roll:
No.... not at all.... What will be interesting to see is who gets the lowest times ;) Shannon, having driven a "real" STI in Australia, or Jard, with the uber USDM STI....
That was rallycross so I'm not scared. I have mad tarmac skillz. :lol:
ShannonO
I'm a n000b

Post by ShannonO »

Meh, I didn't get to drive the STi, I drove the rally-prepped WRX. The STi is saved for the advanced course, which we did not have the time to take. I got a couple 2 minute hot laps though. On the same course that took me 3:14 and my brother (I think) 3:42. Something like that.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Jard wrote: That was rallycross so I'm not scared. I have mad tarmac skillz. :lol:
Everyone thinks that till Brian makes a rag doll out ya... ;) Seriously though, what seems simple to most, Brian will make harder.... and better :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

List updated. :)

This is going to be interesting... I can just imagine the look on all your faces when you get beat by a station wagon with snow tires...

:twisted:
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
Katya4me
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Katya4me »

Here's the MEC list Shawn and I did:

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94307

The only events I really noticed as not being listed are the Philly SCCA autoxes at Ripken Stadium, same location as the Autocrossers, Inc. events.

We also might be doing some events up near Lancaster PA. I think that's a bit far for most of you. This is the main reason why we are going to so many different events this year: http://www.nerdsracing.com/sliderule.htm
Katya4me
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Katya4me »

ElZorro wrote:I wouldn't want to embarrass you by beating you with the Forester... :) Jokes aside, I probably won't be doing too many official events. Lots of waiting, watching, and hassle for little reward. :)
So.....you'd rather dump close to $500 now to do 2 days of short 30 second runs on a little course w/ no competition? You are getting some great instruction, I loved my class last fall. But what's the point if you don't put it to good use? Heck, for $400 you could go to VIR for a weekend, if you want to be on a course that takes longer than a minute to run.

DC SCCA and Philly have both been doing a great job this year putting together nice courses, the last 2 were both very fast and very open.
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

I'm just going for one day. But I get your point on the short runs, competition, etc. At some point in the future I may go for it, but not yet.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox