Photo shoot planning thread

Anything we do that isn't a meet :)

Moderator: Moderators

Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Photo shoot planning thread

Post by Mr Kleen »

Edit for Preliminary date: weekend of August 12

So it's about time we got a photo shoot together. we need some good photos and video of the member's rides to freshen the site so borrow a camera, detail your ride, and prepare to spend a day and night hanging out with the crew.

I'm starting this thread to get input on when to do this. I'm thinking a Saturday in early August. we can start early to get that sunrise lighting every photographer loves, shoot some video throughout the day, then get some more sunset pics and maybe some night time action shots too. :wink:

so, start posting ideas for time/date/location(s).
Last edited by Mr Kleen on Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gsx-lex
DCAWD Groupie

Post by gsx-lex »

I like the target parking lot in rockville......
http://ziptiebandit.com/WordPress/?page_id=66

In general, rockivlle/bethesda takes the cake IMHO, as htere is a nice mix of industrial parks and classy buildings. hotels. I'd also vote for pentagon city mall parking lot though i havne't been there in years. [/url]
Have turbo, will spool.
I <3 Lesbians
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

^^^ Nice shots!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Osiros
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Osiros »

*subscribes to thread*

*dusts off lenses*
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

For action shots/video, I've always wanted to get a caravan of cars in one or two lanes on 395 and snag pics/clips from the bridges that span over. Put some logos on the roofs or something to homogenize thr group.

And one really good place for video/audio is Van Dorn North where the two lanes duck under the Seminary 395 intersection. It is concrete walls on both sides and a wide bridge on top to kepp the sound in. It also has a nice up-hill section so if you roll up real slow, then you can get on the gas in the covered section and not have to worry about lose-your-license-speed at the end
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Sounds like some good suggestions :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

Early August would be good for me (end of July is Otakon so I won't be available that weekend).

With my new base of operations in MD, I'm more inclined to a Rockville / Bethesda location. But then again, we are the DCAWD club so perhaps it'd be better if we find a location within the District. Preferably with views of some of the monuments?

--Alan
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Shooting down by the monuments would be AWESOME... but probably hard to do.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Osiros
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Osiros »

Depending on how serious we wanted to get about this what about the idea of getting permits? National Park Service permits and stuff, with the proper contacts, could allow us to get the cars into places they otherwise wouldn't be allowed.......(imagine a cover shot of the cars of DCAWD lined up in front of the Lincoln Memorial or something).
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

All I can say is that would be HOT. I wonder how much it would be though.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

sabre wrote:Shooting down by the monuments would be AWESOME... but probably hard to do.
More than likely... yeah. When I was home I was trying to get some shots in front of Philadelphia monuments (Boathouse Row, City Hall, Liberty Bell, Art Museum, etc.) and for most places there is no place to park or even stop to get a good picture. Looking at DC through Google Earth it looks like more of the same.

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
Osiros
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Osiros »

"National Park Service?"

"Hi...My name is Julian and I'm the president of a local car club. I was calling to get some information related to the possibility of doing a photo shoot while using the monuments as backdrops. We'd like to get the cars into some places that cars aren't otherwise allowed to go and I was wondering if there's a permitting process for that? Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated."

:nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :ya: :ya: :ya: :lol2: :lol2:
gsx-lex
DCAWD Groupie

Post by gsx-lex »

Thanks for the compliments Julian.
Libra Monkee wrote: When I was home I was trying to get some shots in front of Philadelphia monuments (Boathouse Row
Philly is a photographers dream when it comes to taking pics of cars.

this pic was taken at boathouse row in philly....
http://ziptiebandit.com/media/pics/3182 ... 04_11b.jpg
more here:
http://ziptiebandit.com/media/pics/3182004

I'm not abig fan of taking pics of car next to national landmarks. I think that a nice industrial park would do. I tried to do a photoshoot at the WWII memorial at aroudn 4 am a couple of weeks ago. There was no one around, so i got out of my car, set the tripod up, and before i took the frist pic, 2 cop cars came out of nowhere and took me that i couldn't park my car there.

i think crystal city/pent. area is really nice! I could scout some spots in rockville.
Have turbo, will spool.
I <3 Lesbians
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

You know, I stopped in that exact same spot but there's a fence in the way that obstructs the view of the boathouses plus to even get the boathouses in view, you have to stand in traffic (which I'm not a big fan of). Unless you go in the wee hours of the morning but by then it's too dark and the pictures come out grainy.

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
GeneralGrievous
I'm starting to be a post wh0re

Post by GeneralGrievous »

What about one of those parking lots down near the docks close to Reagan National? We went boating with a friend of my wife's and that lot was big.. and had a decent backdrop with the river and such...
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

^^^ Another good suggetion :)

With all of the industrial parks around Baltimore, that would be an ideal spot... but then again, we're not BAWD (lol).

Actually, I'd love to find a dirt hill to throw all of us up on, haha :) True Rally style!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

GeneralGrievous wrote:What about one of those parking lots down near the docks close to Reagan National? We went boating with a friend of my wife's and that lot was big.. and had a decent backdrop with the river and such...
Great idea! My only hesitation is that the lot at Gravelly Point (which is what I think you're referring to) is usually crowded. After all, it is a nice spot. Perhaps if we get there really early it wouldn't be so bad.

--Alan
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

WRXWagon2112 wrote:Perhaps if we get there really early it wouldn't be so bad.
Most of those parks 'open' at a certain time in the morning, would need to have pretty good timing.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

we could also split into groups and head to different areas.
I like the idea of getting some shots in DC. we are DCAWD after all...
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

Mr Kleen wrote:I like the idea of getting some shots in DC. we are DCAWD after all...
I really like this idea, and I wish you luck. Julian and I have been talking about this one for two years now (about the time we came up with the name and started talking about logos) and haven't had much luck in finding a site. The only thing I was coming to a conclusion on was just get down there and park along Constitution just as parking is allowed again in the early evening (forget if this is 5pm or 6pm). Have someone play spotter, and someone else crouch down in the street and get some up-angle shots up at the Washington, and then can get some across the Ellipse at the White house.

Zak's idea with something from the bridges over 395 is also interesting... can we get 5 cars with lettering for D C A W D on their roofs?
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

WRXWagon2112 wrote:
Great idea! My only hesitation is that the lot at Gravelly Point (which is what I think you're referring to) is usually crowded. After all, it is a nice spot. Perhaps if we get there really early it wouldn't be so bad.

--Alan
I think he might have been talking about the boat docks south of the airport. The Point is for boat launching&recovery and is further north.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q ... 5&t=h&om=1
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

zaxrex wrote:I think he might have been talking about the boat docks south of the airport. The Point is for boat launching&recovery and is further north.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q ... 5&t=h&om=1
Oh, the marina. Yeah, I know that area. I used to park there and then rollerblade up and down the pathway for some good summer-time exercise. That location sounds great for a photo shoot.

--Alan
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

I didn't know you bladed. We should go out and glide and girl watch sometime. You know, mutual support and motivation stuff.
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

I would have to be the wing-man as I am nearly off the market. :(

--Alan
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

WRXWagon2112 wrote:I would have to be the wing-man as I am off the market. :(

--Alan
Corrected ;)

You know, I blade some too... ;)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI