2009/1010 Winter tire discussion

Need better contact with the ground? Come on in.

Moderator: Moderators

scheherazade
DCAWD Groupie

Re: 2009/1010 Winter tire discussion

Post by scheherazade »

So, um, yeah
About those winter tires...

Parking lot was up above my knees.
4 inch ground clearance = I had to take it in a few 'runs' to push my way out to the shallower snow (still about 10 inches deep).

Each time I stopped it took a lot of rocking back and forth to get moving again. So long as I didn't stop I could keep going.
All seasons are coming off.

I couldn't find any RFTs that are worth shit compared to the normal ice/snow tyres (at least in tyre racks comparisons)
I'll source whatever tyre through these guys : http://www.rhinotire.com/
So I don't have to worry as much about a flat in the middle of nowhere in a blizzard.

I'm thinking Blizzak WS60 right now ...

Anyone used the Dunlops as well as the Blizzaks, thoughts?
(I liked the dunlops on my bike... but that doesn't mean anything...)

The nokians seem interesting considering they're Finnish (I guess it's cold up there pretty often).
Anyone know where there might be a good comparo with the nokians?

Edit :
Think the 225/45/17 is fine or should I narrow down to 205 or so?

Thanks,
-scheherazade
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

I've had nothing short of fantastic results with the WS series. Softer sidewalls, but plenty of stick when things get slick. Confirmed with many a snow-covered trip to the mountains of WV, PA, MD.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

my stock re92's were surprisingly on the upper end of adequate in the rough stuff today.

*stunned*

still can't wait to swap them out.
-Ben
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

scheherazade wrote: Anyone used the Dunlops as well as the Blizzaks, thoughts?
(I liked the dunlops on my bike... but that doesn't mean anything...)
Love my dunlop wintersports! Used the Wintersport 3D for the past two winters and just got a set of Wintersport M3 tires for this winter. I couldn't be happier.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

The WS60's gave me plenty of grip in the snow we had the other week and the ice we had up in CT. I'd definitely recommend them. Just a warning, they are a winter tire. If you push them in the dry stuff, don't expect a ton of grip! They will start sliding on you with no squeaking/chirping at all, but the are VERY smooth when doing this and predictable (I've gotten completely sideways and felt totally in control). I was shocked how good they were in the ice considering their dry performance!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

Sabre wrote:The WS60's... They will start sliding on you with no squeaking/chirping at all, but the are VERY smooth when doing this and predictable (I've gotten completely sideways and felt totally in control). I was shocked how good they were in the ice considering their dry performance!
Yep, thats the exact behavior I had on the WS50's on the FXT. They didn't 'break free', they didn't sing, they just let you keep pushing it. Thats part of why I enjoyed doing entrance/exit ramps when I had them - you'd moving at the limit of traction, and then a little more gas and a little more steering input and you were sliding, and then back off a bit and you were back in complete control. Granted, this is at a relatively low speed (like J says, its a winter tire) but fun none-the-less. :)
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
supasixfo
Bicycle

Post by supasixfo »

We've used the Dunlop Wintersport M3/3D's pretty exclusively for the Winter Rally Series in the FLR. They have allowed us to survive for the past 3 years :P. I believe the 3D's are a replacement for the M3's. Probably the best tire trade-off for snow/mix/high-speed street use. From what i can tell, they are designed to retain pretty good handling at higher speeds than you would likely consider going in the winter (I guess "V-rated" in case you feel compelled to take it to 160+). imho, this is the most practical tire since most people spend their time driving on highways/tarmac that have some snow/mix on them, and not necessarily the ice/deep snow combination (though i certainly had way more fun than my neighbors around here during the last snow storm). Very progressive at the limit.

I've never used the Blizzacks but by the tread pattern and anecdotally, they seem to be more oriented toward deeper snow. Someone can chime in on how/if the R-rating (a paltry 106mph) really makes a difference, and how often one is likely to encounter those speeds, but i digress.

The wintersport 3d's are a very capable tire for the first 50% (where they have that special winter compound). After that, they make for great power slides and a nice "drift" set, but that is likely the same situation with any tire consisting of a partial "winter compound". Blizzacks have this same dual-compound...At that point, you will still have very progressive break-away, but the tires will grip significantly less, though the fact that i was driving on a snow/ice mix may have also factored into this.

I know there are studies out there that show that studless tires outperform studded in stopping http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/research/report ... /551.1.pdf. I would be curious to see a handling test conducted. and have always wanted to give studded Nokian hakkapalapalpalalolilolipetapettapattawallawggaaa-ooogga-boogas a try. A significant amount of other winter rally drivers in the FLR seem to swear by them.

For the extra hardcore, you may wish to drop down to 15's and a narrower tire for a truer snow/winter setup: http://www.fourstarmotorsports.com/Prod ... fault.aspx
Alvin
Black Box rally team
Our blog: http://www.blackboxrally.com
Like us: http://www.facebook.com/blackboxrally
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

supasixfo wrote:We've used the Dunlop Wintersport M3/3D's pretty exclusively for the Winter Rally Series in the FLR. They have allowed us to survive for the past 3 years :P. I believe the 3D's are a replacement for the M3's. Probably the best tire trade-off for snow/mix/high-speed street use. From what i can tell, they are designed to retain pretty good handling at higher speeds than you would likely consider going in the winter (I guess "V-rated" in case you feel compelled to take it to 160+). imho, this is the most practical tire since most people spend their time driving on highways/tarmac that have some snow/mix on them, and not necessarily the ice/deep snow combination (though i certainly had way more fun than my neighbors around here during the last snow storm). Very progressive at the limit.

I've never used the Blizzacks but by the tread pattern and anecdotally, they seem to be more oriented toward deeper snow. Someone can chime in on how/if the R-rating (a paltry 106mph) really makes a difference, and how often one is likely to encounter those speeds, but i digress.

The wintersport 3d's are a very capable tire for the first 50% (where they have that special winter compound). After that, they make for great power slides and a nice "drift" set, but that is likely the same situation with any tire consisting of a partial "winter compound". Blizzacks have this same dual-compound...At that point, you will still have very progressive break-away, but the tires will grip significantly less, though the fact that i was driving on a snow/ice mix may have also factored into this.

I know there are studies out there that show that studless tires outperform studded in stopping http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/research/report ... /551.1.pdf. I would be curious to see a handling test conducted. and have always wanted to give studded Nokian hakkapalapalpalalolilolipetapettapattawallawggaaa-ooogga-boogas a try. A significant amount of other winter rally drivers in the FLR seem to swear by them.

For the extra hardcore, you may wish to drop down to 15's and a narrower tire for a truer snow/winter setup: http://www.fourstarmotorsports.com/Prod ... fault.aspx
bravo. :bowd:
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Awesome write up Alvin :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

Good writeup Alvin. I have used both and both are great, regardless. I decided to buy M3s this year and have been loving them so far.