Service Rating: 91V vs. 91H

Need better contact with the ground? Come on in.

Moderator: Moderators

Jetwagon
I walk to work

Service Rating: 91V vs. 91H

Post by Jetwagon »

WRX is supposed to have a tire with service rating of 91V. I'm looking at two same Dunlops, one with a 91H and one with a 91V service rating. Would this just mean the difference between H & V speed rating? And, if so, would that likely just mean that the H rating has a slightly softer sidewall?

If you know, please let me know. I'm itchy to hit "add to cart" on tire rack. Of course, I still have my eyes on the Conti DWS...

:D
Kyle
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Service Rating: 91V vs. 91H

Post by complacent »

Do you intend to see sustained speeds above 130MPH? If not, H speed rating is just fine for your street driven car.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Jetwagon
I walk to work

Post by Jetwagon »

I'm pretty sure sustained speeds over 100 means I lose my clearance
Kyle
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

Jetwagon wrote:I'm pretty sure sustained speeds over 100 means I lose my clearance
Only if you're caught on a public road in a state that has reckless driving as a felony. :) AKA keep it on the track. :)
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Jetwagon wrote:I'm pretty sure sustained speeds over 100 means I lose my clearance
Only (as said above) it's on a public road :) On the track, over 100 is highly likely.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Jetwagon
I walk to work

Post by Jetwagon »

so that settles that - i'll be fine with T rated tires...

Ok. Sumitomo Tourings? Dunlop Sport Signatures? Conti DWS? Michelin Exalto AS? Or just buy winters? I still got the RE01's for next summer.
Kyle
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

The good Doctor will want to chime in here :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

The conversation has been had, decision will be made shortly.
Jetwagon
I walk to work

Post by Jetwagon »

Eagle GT redeux

Got them in 205 60 16's for the stock rims. I'm looking for a little more ground clearance for the trails in Geo Wash & Shenandoah forests which is why I went for 60 vs 55 profile.

Dude who helped me was very cool. He drives a turbo 240 that he drifts; sponsored by Falken. Kind of funny, as other tire salespeople had talked about certain tires getting 45,000 miles or 65,000 miles, he said while he would normally get about 100 miles out of a set of Kuhmo's drifting; he was able to get 200 out of his Falkens. We started looking at the 912's which he endorsed as a great tire but after a few mins of tires talk he said he pretty much had to take his hat off to the Eagle GT.

I had started out looking at the GT's in the first place getting sidetracked along the way by other all seasons that performed well in the wet like Conti DWS's and a few dedicated winter tires like the Graspic D3. I came back around to the Eagle because ultimately, the tires that overachieve in the wet or snow ultimately give up too much dry performance. At least the one's I could afford.
Kyle
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Congrats, looking forward to seeing them!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI