Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60

Need better contact with the ground? Come on in.

Moderator: Moderators

ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60

Post by ElZorro »

New shoes on the FXT, a set of WS-60's. I had the WS-50's on a couple seasons ago, and absolutely loved them. I'll post up a bit of a review later (I haven't had a chance to drive on dry yet), but here are some details:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... zzak+WS-60

The Blizzak WS60 is Bridgestone's Studless Ice and Snow winter tire developed for the drivers of coupes, sedans, minivans and crossover vehicles looking for traction on winter's slushy, snow-covered and icy roads. The Blizzak WS60 represents the third generation of Bridgestone WinterBiter tires designed to deliver wintertime traction and control that inspires driver confidence by getting the most out of the vehicle's potential.

The Blizzak WS60 features a dual-compound tread with Bridgestone's silica-enhanced Tube Multicell compound layered on top of a standard winter compound. The Tube Multicell compound is comprised of thousands of microscopic tubes and cells (which resemble the consistency of Swiss cheese when examined through a microscope) that wick away the water that often forms between the tire's contact patch and the surface of snow-packed and icy roads. This flexible tread rubber compound improves the tire's grip, allowing the biting edges to adhere to the surface with less interference. The bite particles attached to the tubes of the Multicell compound with a special coating, bite into the surface of packed snow and ice to provide extra gripping action. The pores and tubes are uniformly distributed throughout the compound and are constantly being exposed around the tread as the tire wears. This unique tread compound is molded into a directional tread design that features independent tread blocks with 3-D zigzag sipes to disperse water away from the tire's contact patch, further enhancing grip. The result is enhanced hydroplaning resistance and greater driving and braking force on snow-covered and icy roads. Featuring Bridgestone's UNI-T Technology, the Blizzak WS60's internal structure includes twin steel belts reinforced by spirally wound nylon to provide the desired high-speed durability and ride characteristics.

When the Blizzak WS60 is 50-percent worn, a tread depth indicator molded into the tread design lets the driver know that only 10 percent of the remaining tread is the Tube Multicell compound.

Install Bridgestone Blizzak WS60 tires in sets of four only.

Due to the traction capabilities of the Blizzak, Bridgestone recommends using Blizzaks only in sets of four to provide the best handling characteristics and tire performance
Tire is currently #1 in the Studless Ice & Snow category
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Re: Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60

Post by sirwilliam »

Yeah, I had a set of the WS50s on my stock wheels and loved them. I almost went w/ a new set of WS60s but got a good deal on the Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3s which sacrifice some ice traction for better performance and are more quiet. Keep us posted on your thoughts/results.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

With Zak in the name, they have to be good.
I have to say that I am a fan of their H speed rated snow tires. Gives that high speed stability for only tenths of a point losses in ice and snow traction.

But then again, when do you need to be going 130+ on ice and snow? Maybe not at the same time, but is nice to know you can let the legs stretch out once in a while...
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

Yea, I looked at the PA3's, but they are $30/tire more, and I have a couple driving trips planned this winter to colder places.

Zak, the LM-25's look good, dry is a bit better, but again, $30/tire more.... I think Chuck said he was putting a set on.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

ElZorro wrote:Yea, I looked at the PA3's, but they are $30/tire more, and I have a couple driving trips planned this winter to colder places.

Zak, the LM-25's look good, dry is a bit better, but again, $30/tire more.... I think Chuck said he was putting a set on.
Well, tirerack.com has a closeout on certain PA3s (H-rated...mine are 225/55/17) so it only came out to $3 more a tire vs. the blizzaks...but then DTD which is a vendor over at SF.org price matched and reduced the cost by $15 so I ended saving $3. :mrgreen: I wanted a little bit better dry performance and less road noise. You don't drive in snow every day around here and PA :wink: But my blizzaks were awesome in the snow/ice.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer