Lug nuts!

Need better contact with the ground? Come on in.

Moderator: Moderators

wrxSIN
Bicycle

Lug nuts!

Post by wrxSIN »

I have a question on lug nuts. I current have the stock mcgard from the dealer, but i have no wheel locks, so instead of buying wheel locks, i was thinking about just getting some black muteki lug nuts, this way i can get some contrast going, and my wheels wont be as vunerable. I am also now between the open end and closed end lug nuts. which is better? etc. how will the black lug nuts stand up in weather and regular wear and tear? i also plan on getting some after market wheels too. probably in the form of rotas. will the mutekis still fit onto those wheels?

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=1485748
is where i am probably going to buy them from. they seem to be at a standard price of about 40$.

thanks!
-kenneth
ilike2startnewthreads

Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Lug nuts!

Post by Mr Kleen »

mcgard spline drive lugs FTW. I've had a set of black ones on the WRX since the summer of 2004 and they still look great. well, when I clean them up they do.
wrxSIN
Bicycle

Post by wrxSIN »

haha. well i was trying to keep it under 50$. so muteki is some poo? how much did u get the mcgard for?
ilike2startnewthreads

Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

never used muteki, only the mcguards. I think I paid around $75. 4 years later I feel it was money well spent.
wrxSIN
Bicycle

Post by wrxSIN »

yeh..i found them on oakos for around 85$. probably around what im going to spend. i think im just going to wait and get some mcgards instead of mutekis. apparently the mutekis dont hold up and chip etc while the mcgards are like invincible. I guess we will see. i just cant see myself spending 90$ on some lug nuts :ugh:

edit-what about gorilla lugs?
ilike2startnewthreads

Bluestreak2006
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Bluestreak2006 »

Well I have had the black Muteki closed end lugs for almost a year now. They look exactly the same with now chips. So they get my thumbs up. I also got them from Oakos.
Jay

11 STI Hatch
"Wagon Mafia"
Stage 1 Baby
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Another Muteki user here, although I've only had them on the car for a month now.

And I was out of town for roughly half of that month.

But they do still fit the bill and look nice :)
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

Keep in mind these only deter amateur criminals and if someone really wants your bling bling bbs they will take them ;0
Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Shhh, dude!
Do not tell Gabe that just after his wheels were birthed.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Phibs wrote:Keep in mind these only deter amateur criminals and if someone really wants your bling bling bbs they will take them ;0
where would you keep a wheel lock key? I had wheel locks on my Honda. they stole the ENTIRE CAR. :x :evil: :notcool:

keep in mind that if you have something that somebody really wants they will get it, nothing will stop them.
Katya4me
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Katya4me »

We've got at least 2 sets of the open-end Mutekis, one for my mom's Forester in black and a set for the Miata in blue. We might have a set for the MSP too, I can't remember. In the 3+ years we've had them, I don't want to think about how many times we're taken the impact wrench to those poor lugnuts... They're not as pretty as they were new, but they still work great and are small enough to fit in the tiny holes of the Enkeis and Falken rims.

I've got a set of knock-off Gorilla-style long closed splined lugnuts on the P5 and they're rusty on the splines now, but still work great and fit in all of the wheels I've tried so far. :)
Last edited by Katya4me on Mon May 12, 2008 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
WDCR Solo Committee Member
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

Mr Kleen wrote:
Phibs wrote:Keep in mind these only deter amateur criminals and if someone really wants your bling bling bbs they will take them ;0
where would you keep a wheel lock key? I had wheel locks on my Honda. they stole the ENTIRE CAR. :x :evil: :notcool:

keep in mind that if you have something that somebody really wants they will get it, nothing will stop them.
haha I LOL'd ;)
Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited
captainslow
I'm starting to be a post wh0re

Post by captainslow »

Like the Easter bunny, this thread has been resurrected. I need lug nuts and am a bit concerned about petty theft when visiting my parents in Philly b/c cars occasionally get their wheels jacked in the neighborhood. I see you guys don't have much faith in wheel locks but I am considering them and the McGard spline drive lugs. I figure they'd make my car look less inviting than one without the added hassle.

But I was talking to a guy at a wheel shop about the McGard's and he said they're more trouble than their worth b/c he said their special socket has a tendency to break when you need it most. He also said to avoid wheel locks for similar reasons and that anyone could break them in short order anyway. I'd like to purchase a second set of wheels with go-fast tires so I anticipate swapping wheels a bit more frequently and with my elephant dexterity, if anyone would break a socket, it would be me.

Do you think I should just throw caution to the wind and get standard lugs, or is the wheel guy being overly negative about the quality of the sockets? I'm leaning toward a regular set, but I am a bit nervous still about theft. The most recent one was a Honda Fit that got its stock wheels removed and I heard parts of the undercarriage were damaged pretty badly in the process. :notcool:

Anyway, I'd like to hear your 2 cents. I figure the answers will be that I should suck it up and get regular lugs, but any input helps. Thanks!
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

i've kept the muteki locks on my car. they've survived a few years of winter wheel -> summer wheel -> back again and haven't caused me any problems. they're not super pretty, but i'm not particularly awesome about keeping my wheels and tires clean either. :oops:

if i were to do it over again, i'd do it exactly the same way. happy with the purchase, happy with the fit and function.

keep in mind, it only takes a $10 socket set to bypass all wheel locks. i would strongly recommend a spline-type of lugnut for two reasons: torque and surviving that torque.

i've blasted mine with impacts, spinners and even socket wrenches... yet to break a tool or a lugnut. hope this helps.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
captainslow

Post by captainslow »

Thanks Colin, this is very helpful.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

I have the same setup as Colin and have been very happy with mine. They are not a 100% guarantee that your wheels will not get stolen, but they are about as good a deterrent as you can get.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I had my McGard spline drive lugs for 6 years and never had any hint that the socket was failing. I changed my wheels twice a year and I had the car in the shop several times and I'm sure they used air tools on them.
captainslow

Post by captainslow »

thanks guys! i'll go with wheel locks and spline drive lug nuts.