Time for Summer Tires

Need better contact with the ground? Come on in.

Moderator: Moderators

drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Time for Summer Tires

Post by drwrx »

Looking forward to seeing some pics of Betty II with new shoes.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

She's Nina. :wink:

I'm also doing a bit of a brake upgrade as well. I'm taking a driving trip to Stelvio Pass in June and hopefully at least one trip to the 'Ring so I think it's money well spent. Nothing too crazy: Cool Carbon pads, SS lines, titanium backing plates, Super Blue DOT4 fluid, BMW performance rotors all around, and F30 front brake shields.

The titanium backing plates are to keep the heat out of the calipers. The 135i has Brembo 6 pot front brakes but relatively thin rotors. This makes the brakes look fantastic (especially on paper) and stop really well on the street. However, under track use the rotors overheat and transfer that heat to the calipers and their ceramic pistons (and the brake fluid). The pistons have been known to crumble under consistent track use. $80 shims seemed like good insurance.

The new F30 3 series has brake shields that are bent outward at the top to funnel some air to the rotors. A few forum members have tried them out with some success. At $50 for the pair it seemed, again, like good insurance.

I will admit that the upgraded rear rotors are pretty much entirely for cosmetics.

And thus ends more than most of you ever wanted to know about 135i brake upgrades. :mrgreen:

EDIT: Not getting the performance rotors. I spoke with a very knowledgeable 135 owner who has them and suggested I not get them. He has them, said they EAT pads and Cool Carbon pads are nearly $300 a set...
schvin
DCAWD Groupie

Post by schvin »

:popcorn:
2004 impreza outback
1964 beetle
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

brake components are here. waiting on the wheels, they're being powdercoated now...
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Mr Kleen wrote:She's Nina.
If Betty took her name from Betty Paige, where does Nina take her name from?
Nina Simone perhaps?
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

"Betty" was a misspelling of "Bettie Page" but was also a reference to "Black Betty" and to "Betty Boop" and "Betty Ross." With Subaru's WRC roots and the function-over-form good looks of the 2004 Impreza, I thought "Betty" suited the emotions that she elicited for me. Like a platonic ideal of the American Biker Babe: sure she looks good, but she also get's shit done. :mrgreen:

I thought "Nina" was a nice misspelling of "Nena" of "99 Luftballoons" fame but is also a reference to Nina Simone and to "Jonina Storch" the teller at Commerzbank who set up my first account. Things were so hectic with the move that I didn't have time to analyze things as much this go 'round and just went with my first instinct. She'll never be Betty but she's starting to develop her own personality.

Yes, I know I have a problem. :drive: :wiggle: :rolllaugh:
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Mr Kleen wrote:

Yes, I know I have a problem. :drive: :wiggle: :rolllaugh:

this is the right kind of problem to have. :D
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz