MyFord Touch and SYNC App Ecosystem hands-on

Installing or configuring? Want some more bass in the Subaru? Come on in!

Moderator: Moderators

Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

You've read the PR, seen the press shots and probably snickered a little at the quote from Ford's Derrick Kuzak indicating that his company's latest tech "will cause people to fall in love with their vehicles again." After getting a chance to play with a few entrants into the company's so-called SYNC App Ecosystem, and getting behind the wheel of a MyFord Touch-equipped mockup vehicle, we're not laughing – but we are smiling. It's impressive tech, so follow the jump to see some videos and check our impressions.
very cool. now I just hope they will put in decent speakers and not charge crazy inflated prices for it all.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: MyFord Touch and SYNC App Ecosystem hands-on

Post by Sabre »

Looks pretty slick!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

I've been very impressed with Microsoft's in-car strides with Sync. I dig it. Easier than a carputer for sure.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

MyFord Touch coming to 2011 Ford Focus
Autoblog wrote:The 2010 Detroit Auto Show has just kicked off and Ford's plans for the 2011 Focus have been made official. While others might care more about the 155bhp or new six-speed dual-clutch transmission, we're best pleased by the inclusion of the MyFord touch control system. This setup was designed to drag the car dash into the modern touchscreen era, and our comprehensive hands-on revealed it to be a most impressive bit of tech. Two displays flank the analog speed gauge, but the pièce de résistance is an 8-inch, 800 x 480 optional screen landing in the center of the dash. Endued with a web browser, it'll connect via 3G or 4G modems and concurrently act as a WiFi hotspot. Add in a bunch of forthcoming apps and compatibility with any Bluetooth device, and you've got a tech lover's dream system. The next generation Focus should enter production near the end of 2010, giving us a full year to write a "vroom, vroom" app for our smartphones.