Dash Express review

Installing or configuring? Want some more bass in the Subaru? Come on in!

Moderator: Moderators

Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Dash Express review

Post by Mr Kleen »

Engadget: Dash Express review

We've been waiting to get our hands on the Dash Express ever since we heard about it way back in 2006, and though we've seen a ton of photos and even toyed around with a beta version of the GPRS / WiFi-connected navigator, actually using the device for a lengthy period of time revealed some pretty interesting things. The main verdict: yeah, it's way pricey, but if you've got the scratch, this is the GPS you want -- and if the community features take off like Dash think they will, it's going to be a game-changer. Read on for the full review!
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Hey look, TACOS!

This does seem way cool, and explensive.

Wonder how hackable it is to let it drive a nice in-dash display and have the device hidden>?>?>
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Way cool idea. I've seen similar devices in other countries and they typically r0XX0r my b0xx0rz.

But $400 plus $10 a month...? I'll pass for now.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I thought the TiVO comparison was interesting. it can tell you want traffic is like for other drivers in the area, it can tell you what local gas station has the cheapest gas. if the content is really open and community driven, there's nothing to stop users from marking speed traps and traffic cameras. 8)

not going to get one now but I will be keeping an eye on this.
Engadget wrote:Geo-caching and maps mashup nerds: sit up and take notice. The connected GPS hardware startup -- fresh off its redesign and FCC approval -- is coming clean some new geo-feeds integration, which will allow the device to pull up custom geoRSS / KML feeds of user-generated points of interest over its cellular connection, as well as provide integration with certain open-API geo-services like Zillow (which allows you to check the property value of homes in the area -- or on the street -- you and your Dash are in). It's a slightly mind-bending paradigm shift from the static-database-on-your-GPS points of interest usage model we're all used to, so think about it this way: if your standard POIs are now handled dynamically through Yahoo search on the Dash, consider geo-feeds a user-generated extension of that, giving you and your Dash the ability to locate destinations based on the input of online communities.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

comments from the Engadget review I found very interesting:
Timothy D. wrote:This is a great unit that I have been Beta testing since last fall. I love the features that are built in, and the fact that everything works so well (from integration with Outlook and Internet Explorer, to the pushes of software updates). Dash has done a great job with this device in my opinion, this is my sixth GPS and it is light years ahead of anything out there. I live in DC are the traffic data is superb.
Such a great unit that we actually purchased a second one for my wife's car that she uses to get to her tennis matches around town. We love our Dashes!!!
Jim wrote:I work for an EMS (ambulance) agency and all of our ambulances have mobile wifi, I wonder if I can 'push' 9-1-1 dispatch data to the unit from my dispatch software? I see the product is OpenSource so maybe with some coding I could get it to work for public safety.
mwilliamson wrote: This is Mark from Dash. One of the things that we have announced, but haven't talked a lot about with reviewers, is the fact that we are opening up the Dash service to 3rd party developers. This would allow you to build the exact application you are talking about! More to come on that at a later date.