Don't you love it when your next mod finds you?

Installing or configuring? Want some more bass in the Subaru? Come on in!

Moderator: Moderators

Libra Monkee

Don't you love it when your next mod finds you?

Post by Libra Monkee »

Instead of you finding it? :roll:

Damn Subaru and their cheap ass speakers! So driving in today, I'm listening to Crystal Method turned up to a deafening 15 and one of my speakers blew up. Soo... I'm apparently in the market for speakers now and maybe a head unit to go with them.

I haven't looked through this forum yet but any suggestions are welcome. As long as they're not stupid. ;)

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

mac mini.

mb quart speakers

mcintosh amplifiers

jl audio subwoofers

done.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

I have 6.5" CDT's up front and LOVE them. I'll give ya a listen on Thursday. I'll probably grab a pair of CDT 5.25"'s for the rear as soon as I save enough up.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

Okay here's what I got so far. I'm think of doing the Pioneer AVIC-D3 head unit. You can get for less than retail refurbished on eBay. That could give me GPS, NavTraffic, and it has A/V inputs for my imminent carputer mod.

I was thinking of doing a Mac Mini for my carputer but ever since the advent of Leopard my Mac doesn't like connect to my Windows network anymore. Which pisses me off BTW.

Still searching for speakers. Been considering some of the Blaupunkts, Pioneers, Sony, and Kickers I've seen on Crutchfield. They're getting good reviews and don't cost as much as the Infinities.

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

complacent wrote:mac mini.

mb quart speakers

mcintosh amplifiers

jl audio subwoofers

done.
I concur. Good choices...I <3 me some McIntosh...just $$$$$.

If you are looking for a cheaper route, you can search the forums or check out the clearance specials at Crutchfield.
Libra Monkee wrote:Okay here's what I got so far. I'm think of doing the Pioneer AVIC-D3 head unit. You can get for less than retail refurbished on eBay. That could give me GPS, NavTraffic, and it has A/V inputs for my imminent carputer mod.

I was thinking of doing a Mac Mini for my carputer but ever since the advent of Leopard my Mac doesn't like connect to my Windows network anymore. Which pisses me off BTW.

Still searching for speakers. Been considering some of the Blaupunkts, Pioneers, Sony, and Kickers I've seen on Crutchfield. They're getting good reviews and don't cost as much as the Infinities.
Maybe I am alone in this but I have always like the Polk lineup. The dB series is a good bang for the buck and I think they are buy 1 get a set 1/2 off now. Out of all my car speakers for all my cars, I have only run MB quart and Polk Audio. As far as subs, I have gone w/ many but tend to go w/ 8-10" woofers in a small sealed enclosure for tight bass and fast transient response...but that requires more power vs. ported.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Libra Monkee wrote:Okay here's what I got so far. I'm think of doing the Pioneer AVIC-D3 head unit. You can get for less than retail refurbished on eBay. That could give me GPS, NavTraffic, and it has A/V inputs for my imminent carputer mod.
the D3 is $900 at Crutchfield with a free rear view camera. been thinking about that one for a while... Steve has a D2 and I like the nav interface.
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

I found it for about $600 refurbished on eBay sans the camera. If I do desire to get a camera, which I don't, I'm sure I could find one cheaper

complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Keep in mind, the A/V inputs for a carputer mod DO NOT allow for touchscreen mouse capabilities ala liliput or xenarc touch screen PC monitors.

...if you're thinking in that direction that is. ;)
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

^^^Yes, I am thinking in that direction. :) In fact, I'm all over mp3car trying to see what's both cost effective and at my skill level. Those buggers are expensive though.

complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

It's not so bad... I was able to cobb it all together pretty easily. Let me know if you wanna pick my brain a bit.

The carnetix mobile PSU is pretty damn nifty, but there are a few things I'd change about it if I were to do it again.
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

Nice I'll hit you guys up in the new year when I do mine :)
Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Libra Monkee wrote:I found it for about $600 refurbished on eBay sans the camera. If I do desire to get a camera, which I don't, I'm sure I could find one cheaper
I was thinking of selling the camera, bringing my price down to $775 or so, new. I just don't trust ebay referb...

you should do a carputer so I can play with it while we sit in traffic on the way to Philly. :lol:
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

Question about the MB Quarts. I see they're fairly inexpensive. What do they sound like?

chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

speakers?
-Ben
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Libra Monkee wrote:Question about the MB Quarts. I see they're fairly inexpensive. What do they sound like?
Depends on the model. I highly recommend the "Q" line. More $$, better sound.

I've found that they're best suited to most "American" tastes in music.

If you're a big jazz/classical guy, then I'd say Canton hands down.

Focal also makes a nice product... but their kevlar cones aren't particularly efficient.

Oh yea, if you're going whole hog, don't forget a 1/3 octave eq!
8)
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

BIG vote for CDT's here... Chuck, if you want to listen, I can stop by on my way home one night. I think you will be VERY impressed.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

^^I think I'll give your speakers a listen tonight at tacos.

sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

complacent wrote:
Libra Monkee wrote:Question about the MB Quarts. I see they're fairly inexpensive. What do they sound like?
Depends on the model. I highly recommend the "Q" line. More $$, better sound.

I've found that they're best suited to most "American" tastes in music.

If you're a big jazz/classical guy, then I'd say Canton hands down.

Focal also makes a nice product... but their kevlar cones aren't particularly efficient.

Oh yea, if you're going whole hog, don't forget a 1/3 octave eq!
8)
I really like Canton but they are pricey. What store sells them around here or do you have to get them online? I know Myer Emco used to but not anymore.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
BryanH
Unicycle

Post by BryanH »

Of course everyone recommends the Q line...it is the only one that is even listen-able. The rest of them will have you grabbing for cotton to stuff your ears.

I had a set of Canton's a couple of years ago. Too much $$$...too little sound for it. You can do better. Apparently the home tech did not get to their car line.

Focal...what can I say about Fecal...er....Focal. No really...if you like a very dry sounding speaker they are fine. But there better sounding speakers are huge and a PITA to fit in our doors. The low depth speakers really aren't worth your time.

The CDT's are nice. I have had two different sets of them and installed a couple other and they were always very nice sounding. And they are CHEAP!!!!!

Another VERY VERY nice sounding speaker is the SPX speakers from Alpine. I have no idea who has them locally but you can get them on ebay all day long for cheap.

If you are really dead set of spending some money go find Morel. Good luck fitting them in your car but they are amazing drivers.