Added an amp/sub to my stock headunit, 2005 STI

Installing or configuring? Want some more bass in the Subaru? Come on in!

Moderator: Moderators

thegovernor
I'm a n000b

Added an amp/sub to my stock headunit, 2005 STI

Post by thegovernor »

Overall this was not difficult, but because the '05 reverse harness has not yet been released by Metra, finding the equivalent was a challenge.

Basically I wanted to add an Alpine MRV-F450 5 channel amp with a 10" sub to my stock head unit, just until I find a head unit that I can't resist. And I wanted to do all this without cutting my factory harness.

The forward factory harness (80-8901) by metra was missing the orange/white wire for the dimmer (negative) so I had to add one to it. This provides power for the back-lit radio buttons when the headlights are in the "on" position.

No one seems to make, or has in stock a reverse factory harness for the subaru so I used one from a hyundai accent. The only difference is that the wire colors are not the same.

I used a "pac oem II" converter and ran all the wires through it on the "input" side to the reverse harness. The only one I had to run around the converter was the neg. illumination wire (dimmer) because the converter does not have a pass thru wire for this feature.

On the output side of the converter, I connected all but the speaker wires to the forward harness. I then connected my speaker wires from the forward harness to a 12' S16 OEM monster standard cable (4 pair w/ remote wire) and ran it back to the amp which I mounted on the trunk/back-seat wall.

Ran power, ground and amp switch wire to the amp and now my auto dim rear view mirror vibrates like this big flashlight I found in my girlfriends nightstand.

Good luck!
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

sweet. pix?

I've got a set of separates and mounting brackets for the front doors, I've just been hesitant to break the seal on the doors. I HATE installing speakers in doors...
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Very nice write up! Mind if we post it on the how-to's section of the site? I used the Circuit City Subaru <-> Universal <-> Alpine harness for me and it worked like a charm :) I've been thinking of adding a Pheonix Gold 5.1 Amp to it, but have been too engrossed with other mods ;)

Mr.Kleen: If you need help, let me know :) Jason and I did the speakers in my car. Nothing like taking the dremel to a brand new car! Check out this site for spacers: http://www.iaperformance.com/catalog_subaru.asp
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I already have the brackets, I've just been too lazy to install them. :roll: now that it's warm out I've been busy doing other mods, but the speakers will be going in soon. this weekend I have other plans, but I don't want to jinx myself so I'll leave it at that for now...
thegovernor
I'm a n000b

Post by thegovernor »

Definately, add it to the how-to's. I need to get around to installing my door speakers. Thanks for the info on the spacers and definately let me know when you are doing the install. The stock speakers don't sound all that bad with a little more power pushing them, but that probably won't last.