Car audio

Installing or configuring? Want some more bass in the Subaru? Come on in!

Moderator: Moderators

captainslow
I'm starting to be a post wh0re

Re: Car audio

Post by captainslow »

Thanks for the input, guys. I'm hoping prices on the Kenwoods come down a bit bw now and nicer driving weather (wishful thinking).
captainslow

Post by captainslow »

So the audio project is crawling forward. Just wanted to know if there is any location other than the roof to put the Sirius antenna. Sirius recommends the roof but the antenna has the logo all over it and is large so it's a bit of an eyesore. I heard somewhere that the dealerships install it next to the passenger A pillar. If anyone has any pics of this, I'd love to see them.

I'm thinking about putting the antenna on the inside of the windshield next to my ezpass, but people seem to think reception would be terrible if the antenna is located anywhere inside the car. If the reception would be so awful why would dealerships mount it inside the car? Or is that really not their practice? Any thoughts are thoroughly appreciated. Thanks again for the help!
LLTS1
I'm a n000b

Post by LLTS1 »

Reception would be best outside the car. That being said it depends on the car how well it would work inside. Angle of the windshield has a lot to do with it as well as If there's any metal in the glass or tint on it. I have had mixed success with my sat antennas inside. On my 06 STi (huge slant on the windshield) Xm worked very well next to the A pillar. On my YJ (straight up and down windshield) reception was horrible. Also I would be interested in seeing who has better reception Sirius or XM. I know they still use separate sat systems one being orbiting one being geo stationary. Up until a few years ago at least XM had a far superior terrestrial repeater grid. So good the FCC made them dial back there transmitters. If XM is still a stronger system then I would think it would have better luck inside then Sirius. Hope this helps
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

GPS antenna works on the dash, no experience with Sirius.
captainslow

Post by captainslow »

Thanks for the advice! I'll check out the windshield angle and try the A pillar location today - if that doesn't work, looks like the roof is where the antenna will go. Maybe I can paint it black.

G - I read that it's much harder to get reception for Sirius than for gps. I did consider the dash but people with the same idea were told not to put the antenna there on the various forums I checked. It would look much nicer on the dash though :(