Recommendations for a Newb

Getting dirty for the fun of it.

Moderator: Moderators

gsx-lex
DCAWD Groupie

Recommendations for a Newb

Post by gsx-lex »

Gentlemen, I've been debating this for several months, and after talking to a friend over the weekend, I think I'm going to take the plunge and get involved in RallyX. I've been thinking of picking up an automatic AWD 1g dsm and competing. I am not new to racing but all of my experience has been on paved surfaces. I wanted to get some newb advice from DCAWD members who are involved in this, maybe even come out to a meet and observe.

anyone??

-Lex
Have turbo, will spool.
I <3 Lesbians
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Recommendations for a Newb

Post by drwrx »

I don't know much about auto DSMs. Do they use the same difs as the manual or are they different?
Hopefully you can find one, I can't imagine there are many out there.
gsx-lex
DCAWD Groupie

Post by gsx-lex »

The rear and center diffs are similar/interchangable ratios to the manual 1g DSMs. I'm not to concerned about the car. I am very familiar with them, and have been wrenching these cars for over 13 years and have several prospects already lined up.

I'm more interested in the course itself, is it dirt only or a mix of dirt and tarmac? Are there any climbs, etc? is it basically autoX on dirt? My SCCA experience is that alot of these guys spend small fortunes in order to stay competitive (at least on the AutoX circuit). I was wondering if a moderately modified AWD turbo car can be competitive in the DC area group? Walk me through a typical RallyX day, etc.

Thanks!
Have turbo, will spool.
I <3 Lesbians
moxnix
Tricycle

Post by moxnix »

See my videos for a typical DC rallyx course.
http://www.youtube.com/user/moxnix4u

Big course.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZb_vfjh ... ature=plcp

Gravel course
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1dix3Sg ... ature=plcp

Barn Course
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCH0Qlpe ... ature=plcp

Course - dirt no tarmac.
climbs? - Not sure what you are asking here. There are hills on the big course but no jumps.
autoX on dirt - pretty much I guess.

The AWD classes are pretty competitive in the DC region but I don't know much about a DSM car and how well it does. Most AWD cars are subaru out there. With a good driver I am sure anything could be competitive.

Day schedule is listed on the website. Ask if you have any questions about what it shows.
http://www.wdcr-scca.org/Default.aspx?tabid=247
7:00-8:30AM Registration (plan extra travel time to get to the event early, registration will closepromptly at 8:30AM.
7:00-8:30AM Tech inspection.
7:00-8:30AM Parc Expose.
8:30-8:45AM Driver Meeting.
8:45-9:00AM Blue Group to Work Stations, Green Group to Cars and Grid
9:00-10:15AM Green Group hot runs
10:15-10:30AM Green Group to Work Stations, Blue Group to Cars and Grid
10:30-11:45AM Blue Group hot runs
11:45-12:45PM Lunch
12:45-1:00PM Green Group to Work Stations, Blue Group to Cars and Grid
11:00-2:45PM Blue Group hot runs
2:45-3:00PM
Blue Group to Work Stations, Green Group to Cars and Grid
3:00-4:45PM Green Group hot runs
4:45-5:30PM Clean up
gsx-lex
DCAWD Groupie

Post by gsx-lex »

Thanks moxnix, exactly what I was looking for.
Have turbo, will spool.
I <3 Lesbians
prorallycodriver
Tricycle

Post by prorallycodriver »

I have 1G and do rallystuff.

There are a several types of rallyX. SCCA rallyx like that at Summit Point that post above refer to or Rally America Euro rallyx at NJ Motorsport Park which is combined tarmac and dirt or Global RallyX (XGames style and BIG $).

Why do you want an auto? DSM can do well. They were a car of choice (along w/ Audi) in N America for stage rally before WRX and Evos were available here. Use a smaller fast spooling turbo (Evo3 16G) for rallyX.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

It would be GREAT to see you out there Alex! SCCA RallyX up at Summit is great. The people are friendly, there are a variety of cars (mostly in the RWD and FWD classes) and it can be fairly cheap to get in to. I've bought new tires ($320) and brakes (~$200) and that's pretty much it for my RallyX ride.

I can see an auto being a huge hindrance if you can't control precisely what gear it is in. Just a heads up.

There are three classes: Stock, Prepared, and Modified. Look at the rule book for whichever you want to race in and "build" the car to that class. Last thing you want to do is go out there and realized that some little stupid part you put on your car that shouldn't make a lick of difference performance wise has thrown you in with some of the big boys (like H6 swapped wagons etc.)

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. It might be worth coming out to one and getting ride alongs with the various types of cars competing before you decide to buy one.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
gsx-lex
DCAWD Groupie

Post by gsx-lex »

prorallycodriver wrote:
Why do you want an auto?
I'm not looking for an automatic per say, I may have access to one for cheap.
Have turbo, will spool.
I <3 Lesbians
prorallycodriver
Tricycle

Post by prorallycodriver »

gsx-lex wrote:
prorallycodriver wrote:
Why do you want an auto?
I'm not looking for an automatic per say, I may have access to one for cheap.
Oh OK, thought maybe you had only one arm or one leg.

Splurge for the manual. If you ever need to rebuild or just want to go faster, swap in the Evo3 ratios and double synchros.
supasixfo
Bicycle

Post by supasixfo »

gsx-lex wrote:I've been thinking of picking up an automatic AWD 1g dsm and competing.
-Lex
when i first read this i thought, you must be trolling me right :P :rolllaugh: yeah, we might know a thing or two about rally dsm's. we picked up a 90 talon tsi at one point to pull rally duty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhY2gdTA3Gk[/video]

Here's my $0.02. *stock* spare parts were always difficult to find. almost everything aftermarket was designed for street racing, making it less useful for rally (e.g. everything is lowered and made to cut weight not make it more durable). YMMV though if you work at a dsm shop and have a constant supply of good condition stock spares.

dsm rally parts in the U.S. of A didn't exist, be prepared to fab your own stuff.

it's a dsm, so every rally outing ended in catastrophic failure and with the talon trying to kill us on numerous occasions. Full disclosure, our build started out w PO partially disassembled street/drag racer missing half the bolts.
I was wondering if a moderately modified AWD turbo car can be competitive in the DC area group?
Like prorallycodriver, we had an evo3 16G. this is supposed to be a smaller "quicker spooling" turbo. I ran an evo for a couple rallyX events at dover. the twin-scroll design helps it spool quicker than an evo3 16G. because it's rallyX, i would argue that you would spend most of your time "the dead zone" under 3500rpms. coupled with an automatic, that seems like a disaster, i mean, it just seems like you'd be fighting the car most of the time instead of concentrating on driving.

Now, a couple of the summit point courses do open up, where having a turbo would be an advantage, but imo, these are few and far between compared to the small tight/technical corners where a lighter NA awd cough cough 2.5rs would have the advantage.

At the end of the day it all depends on what you want to get out of rallyX. i'm a big fan of run what you got first, learn, and then modify. moxnix rents an impreza and rx7 at the rallyX, so you might considering giving those a whirl. then jump in julian/my/some of the m4 cars and then decide. cheap to acquire does not always imply cheap to run/compete.
Alvin
Black Box rally team
Our blog: http://www.blackboxrally.com
Like us: http://www.facebook.com/blackboxrally