Getting dirty for the fun of it.

Moderator: Moderators

prorallycodriver
Tricycle

Rally of the Tall Pines Nov 25-26

Post by prorallycodriver »

Because rally is better than turkey.

http://www.tallpinesrally.com/

Perhaps the best rally in N America. Lots of jumps, unpredictable weather, large entry list (it'll keep growing right up to rally day) and championship still undecided - Subaru versus Mitsu.

The rally still needs volunteer workers on rally day. Workers get the following perks:

Free Tall Pines Limited Edition Clothing and other freebies on the day of the event!
Free admission to the Post Rally Party!
Free dinner at the Post Rally Party and Awards Ceremony!
Free snacks and drinks at the Friday evening Worker Meeting.
Subsidized accommodations in the Bancroft area on rally weekend, provided that you are willing to stay in predefined establishments. This is on a first-come, first-served basis. Subsidized accommodations are available to Workers only and are limited. If you are a Worker, contact our Accommodations Coordinator for more info.
An experience you'll never forget!
Raffle for prizes including a new Clearwater Designs canoe or kayak.

Yes, it is a long drive to get there. And sometimes it dumps snow on the trip but hey, we are AWD enthusiast. The roadtrip is part of the adventure. Get together a group and share the gas cost.

Worker sign-up and lodging info available on the website link above.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Rally of the Tall Pines Nov 25-26

Post by Sabre »

I-81 N - 633 mi, 620 mi, 11 hours 38 mins
I-476 N and I-81 N - 633 mi, 12 hours 0 mins
I-476 N, I-81 N and ON-401 W - 633 mi, 12 hours 6 mins

Holy hell, that is a ways up there! I might actually be tempted if I wasn't having family over for T-day!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
prorallycodriver
Tricycle

Two miles closer than going to New England Forest Rally but without the tolls.

Unfortunately for us in DC area, for National scale rallies STPR is the only local-ish rally. Anything else is pretty much at least a full day drive.
supasixfo
Bicycle

Post by supasixfo »

prorallycodriver wrote: Unfortunately for us in DC area, for National scale rallies STPR is the only local-ish rally. Anything else is pretty much at least a full day drive.
Don't forget RallyWV! Hyperfest too, but that's a rally sprint.
Alvin
Black Box rally team
Our blog: http://www.blackboxrally.com
Like us: http://www.facebook.com/blackboxrally
prorallycodriver
Tricycle

I'm not forgetting Rally WV. Its just that its not a national rally so it draws less teams and no manufacturer teams. Just a different kind of fun than the hoopla around a national rally.

Some cool things about Tall Pines are that its the last National in N America so US teams whose season is already over also compete. Its the last event in the N America rally cup so teams fight hard to win it. Its the last event in Canadian national championship so teams fight hard to win it. Many years the teams fighting for championship have enlisted 'ringer' drivers by paying their expenses to come drive and act as a points-blocker against their rivals so the strategy becomes interesting.

Tall Pines has always done fun things to keep spectators entertained. Some years they arranged helicopter rides for spectators to follow rallycar on stage. They've had the X-Box tent. They have great VIP tour to take people to all the best spots, feed them,.... They allow anyone who signs the waiver to ride on the media stage so its pretty easy for anyone to get a ride at speed in a rallycar on a real stage.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I don't have plans for Thanksgiving. Unfortunately I'm also a little too far away...