Subaru Sets New World Record - Racing

Getting dirty for the fun of it.

Moderator: Moderators

sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Isle of Man—Subaru and three-time British Rally Champion driver Mark Higgins have accomplished what many manufacturers have wanted to do for a very long time: They've set a new lap record for a 4-wheeled vehicle around what is undoubtedly one of the most challenging and perilous race circuits in current existence, the Isle of Man TT.

The course covers over 37 miles of virtually unmodified public streets and mountain roads during a single lap and is traditionally contested by sportbikes of various power and prep levels, the only nontraditional motorcycles being the 3-wheel, 2-passenger sidecars. But on occasion in past years (this happens to be the centennial year for the bike races utilizing the current Mountain Course) there have been allowances for cars and their brave pilots to test their mettle on the narrow, hazard-lined roads that claim the lives of even seasoned professionals on a regular basis—seven people in fact have perished this year at the time of this writing.

The last time a 4-wheeler saw the circuit was back in 1990 when Isle of Man rally legend Tony Pond drove his V-6-powered Rover 827 Vitesse to a lap record of 22 minutes, 9.1 seconds at an average speed of 102 mph. The modified nature of the car still remains a bit nebulous today, though racing slicks were a contributing factor to the achievement.

Subaru, in an effort to showcase the capabilities of its current halo car, decided to take the course on with a predominantly stock U.S.-spec 4-door Impreza WRX STI. Modifications were made mainly in the interest of safety, with a rollcage, uprated springs and dampers (for high-speed stability), Mintex competition brake pads (stock calipers and rotors were retained), and a set of sticky but street-legal Pirelli tires. With the electronic speed limiter removed as well as the catalytic converters (the TT organizers requested the car be as LOUD as possible for spectators) and a full tank of race fuel, Higgins cracked off an astonishingly fleet “practice lap” of 19 minutes, 56.67 seconds at an average speed over 113 mph—his first complete lap ever driven at speed—which honestly proved a bit anticlimactic for an overjoyed Subaru team here.

Higgins, having grown up on the Isle of Man, is both elated and relieved over accomplishing what he holds as a life-long dream. As for the race stewards and spectators, they’re eager to see what an official second or third lap might produce. We are too and we’ll soon find out.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Subaru Sets New World Record - Racing

Post by Sabre »

:nana: :nana: :nana: :nana:
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

ha! i was gonna post the autoblog article. :lol:

:nana: :nana:
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
captainslow
I'm starting to be a post wh0re

Post by captainslow »

So I was up at the STPR rally this weekend. I brought my dad b/c (unfortunately) I used to vacation up in Wellsboro with my family and my dad was keen on returning. He was all like "So I met this nice British chap in the parking lot." Higgins was parked next to me and was staying at the same hotel. He and my dad chatted, turns out he's a normal "nice boy," maybe I should get his number etc. etc. Geez...
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Blixa wrote:Higgins was parked next to me and was staying at the same hotel. He and my dad chatted, turns out he's a normal "nice boy," maybe I should get his number etc. etc. Geez...
:shock: :lol: :lol: Awesome!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
captainslow
I'm starting to be a post wh0re

Post by captainslow »

Sabre wrote:
Blixa wrote:Higgins was parked next to me and was staying at the same hotel. He and my dad chatted, turns out he's a normal "nice boy," maybe I should get his number etc. etc. Geez...
:shock: :lol: :lol: Awesome!
He was cool with Higgins; however, he was not entirely at ease with Alvin's driving :wink:

He thought Alvin was a good driver, but asked me if he was suicidal.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

:rolllaugh: :rolllaugh: :rolllaugh:

It is a fine line you realize....
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

:pimp:
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

2013 BMW 328i M Sport with 8sp in Estoril Blue II
2012 Chrysler 300C SRT8 - Always bet on black
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Jebus that is a lot of good control.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

and a VERY calm codriver. I'd be screaming like a schoolgirl :eek:
2013 BMW 328i M Sport with 8sp in Estoril Blue II
2012 Chrysler 300C SRT8 - Always bet on black
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Subaru releases official video of Isle of Man TT record run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFlSG9_U ... r_embedded[/video]
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

What are the sparks from in 3:40?
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears