Who wants to come slide in the mud with me? June 11th

Getting dirty for the fun of it.

Moderator: Moderators

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Who wants to come slide in the mud with me? June 11th

Post by Sabre »

Hey all,
I just registered the L in the RallyX on June 11th. Anyone want to come out with me? Katie and Shawn will also be in attendance if my bald head isn't enough for you :) Not sure if I can have codrivers (I just looked through the rules and codrivers are only mentioned once in regards to safety), but if I can, feel free to jump in. lol, it's not like I'm going to win in my 1.6L Impreza!
Julian
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
moxnix
Tricycle

Re: Who wants to come slide in the mud with me? June 11th

Post by moxnix »

Assuming by co-drivers you mean passengers during your runs as long as they have signed the waiver and have a wrist band they are welcome to ride along.

The RX-7 is always open for passengers. I may not go fast but I do go fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-928o2bOfg[/video]
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

:nana:
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

moxnix wrote:Assuming by co-drivers you mean passengers during your runs as long as they have signed the waiver and have a wrist band they are welcome to ride along.

The RX-7 is always open for passengers. I may not go fast but I do go fun.
Exactly what I meant :) I might try to hop into your guys whip before I take my first crack at it if that is ok!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
schvin
DCAWD Groupie

Post by schvin »

awesome, good luck!
2004 impreza outback
1964 beetle
supasixfo
Bicycle

Post by supasixfo »

hell yeah i'm down.
Alvin
Black Box rally team
Our blog: http://www.blackboxrally.com
Like us: http://www.facebook.com/blackboxrally
supasixfo
Bicycle

Post by supasixfo »

SUVs allowed :P?
Alvin
Black Box rally team
moxnix
Tricycle

Post by moxnix »

SUV/Truck is on a case by case basis. Contact Jard on Nasioc with details on SUV to see if it can run.
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

If its not hot out, I might be down for coming out. nothing more I hate more than sitting around in the sun watching cars go around in circles (comes from the couple of years of auto-x I did).
2013 BMW 328i M Sport with 8sp in Estoril Blue II
2012 Chrysler 300C SRT8 - Always bet on black
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Excellent on both accounts :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
captainslow
I'm starting to be a post wh0re

Post by captainslow »

Where and at what time?
moxnix
Tricycle

Post by moxnix »

Blixa wrote:Where and at what time?
Summit Point motorsports park (Summit Point, WV)

If you are just coming to watch the actual driving starts at 9AM. If you want to run registration is available now on dlbracing.com and for a higher fee the day of the event from 7-8:30AM.
captainslow
I'm starting to be a post wh0re

Post by captainslow »

I think I'm going to take a raincheck. Just been driving a lot lately (800 miles last weekend, 400 miles next weekend) and need a break from the roads. Good luck guys! Hope you're victorious, and, most importantly, that you have fun.
thermatico
Yugo owner

Post by thermatico »

Pics?
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

^^^ Coming shortly :)

Well, we're back :) The car survived too, which is SHOCKING considering, haha.

Background:
I bought a 95 Impreza L (2dr, 1.8L, 5SPD) to cage and make it in to my race car (as in, drop my engine into it with a 6SPD tranny), but I decided to have fun with it before all of that work. This weekend, I decided to enter it into the RallyX on Saturday and Sunday. Alvin (supasixfo) wanted to go too, but they wouldn't allow his Jimmy out on the course, so I invited him to co-drive with me. Friday I took half a day to make sure that the car was in good shape... turns out that both front pistons had frozen and I still had a power steering leak :( Out came the 10 lbs sledge and some grease and the brakes were working again! I tightened up the power steering reservoir and said a little prayer to Buda :)

The weekend:
Considering the above, I really was hoping that the brakes held up to double the number of runs that it would have run if I had been solo. Shockingly, the car did VERY well.

Both days we drove on two tracks. One was on the "normal" course and the other the "gravel" course. Honestly, both were packed dirt/mud/rock. They were all setup with nice sweeping turns, as well as hairpins and a decent straight with slaloms thrown in everywhere.. in straight, in turns, at the finish line, you name it... All challenging, all fun! We both switched off driving and co-driving the car the entire day and then when the other group was running, we were assigned to the same post to watch for fallen flags.

It was pretty well organized and everything seemed to move very smoothly. Everyone was very nice and it was just awesome to see Subaru's in their natural habitat... speaking of which, the field of cars was 90% Subaru's, mostly L's/RS's, but there were a couple STI's/WRX's, a wagon, and a Forester (XT) throw in for good measure. Other notable cars were RX-7, Accent, Rabbits, older Audi (damn, wish I could remember), A4 (B6?), and more I'm probably forgetting.

All in all, I can't believe I haven't done this sooner. If you own a Subaru, you owe it to your car to take it to a dirt track. I HIGHLY recommend getting someone to go along with you that has done rally before. I am eternally grateful that Alvin went along with me to show me the ropes.

The biggest surprise for me was how many stock'ish cars there were. The guys competing in the 4 wheel drive unlimited group were for the most part driving cars that were stripped down with rally tires... and pretty much stock after that. There were exceptions... like the H6 powered wagon and such, but for the most part, it wasn't a highly modded group.

I'll be throwing pictures up shortly... I took a ton, as well as some in car and out of car video :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

that's awesome dude! sounds like you two had a great time. very sorry i missed it.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Join us next time! There was a modded Forester having an awesome time in the mud!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
schvin
DCAWD Groupie

Post by schvin »

awesome report, thanks for posting it! i need to get on that.
2004 impreza outback
1964 beetle
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Glad it was good times for all :drive:
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
moxnix
Tricycle

Post by moxnix »

Got some of my afternoon video done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVKhzKngn5Y[/video]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2WZ4bwPRDI[/video]

If you look close near the end you might see Sabre and supasixfo working the course (around 55 second mark I think)
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Post Pix!

I can't see YouTube at work. >_<
supasixfo
Bicycle

Post by supasixfo »

This past weekend I decided to sign up for my first competitive RallyX. This may come as a surprise to many of you since we’ve been doing the FLR Winter Rally Series and TSDs in general since 2006. When it comes down to it, RallyX is an entirely different beast than TSD and Stage rally. My hope for the rallyX was for it to add more performance flavor to my rally repetoire. My expectation was that it could model the low-speed handling characteristics of stage rally, to help me learn how to carry speed through the corners.

Originally I was planning on bringing our rally-prepped Evo. When that didn’t pan out, i suggested entering the Jimmy into the event. Unfortunately the SCCA guys thought that my de-tuned Lambo (down to 6 cylinders from 12) was way too powerful for the prepared and modified class guys. That’s when an opportunity presented itself.

Sabre from DCAWD offered to let me drive his 1.8L Impreza “L”, in exchange for co-driving and rally tips. I jumped at the chance. The result: Two trophies, one on each day; both finishing 4th in class for Stock AWD. Most importantly, we drove “the L’s” little 1.8L heart out, utilizing all its 110hp boxer fury to out-run WRX and STi’s in our class that had at 2-3x more power than us. On the second day, we averaged less than 1.4s off pace from the class leader. Great Success!

All in all i’m glad I ended up running the underpowered L with all-seasons, rather than what would have been a ‘prepared AWD’ Evo. I learned a lot about how to carry as much speed as possible, which is important, because running a fast, prepared car can easily mask bad driving technique.
Pictures were taken with my phone so...yeah... but at least it'll be a teaser until Sabre can release the goods:

http://tinyurl.com/3stov83
Alvin
Black Box rally team
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

this needs to be your new avatar/profile pic :mrgreen:

http://gallery.dcawd.com/main.php?g2_itemId=344939