Solo II First time

Anything Autocross related

Moderator: Moderators

GeneralGrievous
I'm starting to be a post wh0re

Solo II First time

Post by GeneralGrievous »

Just back home from today's racing and man was it a blast. First time I've made it out and got to meet up with a friend of mine & his codriver and got a few ride alongs as well. They drive a RX-8 so different class than us Subies but it was a rockin good time (as I'm sure all you grizzled vets know already). Man :cry: I'm even more bummed I couldnt make the Garfield class but I'm trying to arrange making the Level 1 class on August 6th.

I can hear that flushing money noise again... anybody know a cheap/decent helmet (used ok, I'll just use that spray for bowling shoes :lol: )??

THanks
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Ya, once you go to a track, you get hooked pretty quick! New helmets are around $120 at local stores (definitely go to a store to try them on). Used... I wouldn't even know where to start looking :/ Ebay?
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
GeneralGrievous

Motorcycle stores I assume or would you suggest a different venue?
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

I got mine from Coleman Powersports in Falls Church. Their prices are decent and their staff doesn't annoy you.

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
Katya4me
DCAWD Groupie

Re: Solo II First time

Post by Katya4me »

GeneralGrievous wrote:Just back home from today's racing and man was it a blast. First time I've made it out and got to meet up with a friend of mine & his codriver and got a few ride alongs as well. They drive a RX-8 so different class than us Subies but it was a rockin good time (as I'm sure all you grizzled vets know already). Man :cry: I'm even more bummed I couldnt make the Garfield class but I'm trying to arrange making the Level 1 class on August 6th.

I can hear that flushing money noise again... anybody know a cheap/decent helmet (used ok, I'll just use that spray for bowling shoes :lol: )??

THanks
Where did you run? If it was w/ DC, I wish I'd known. Glad to hear that you had fun. :D
WDCR Solo Committee Member
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

The one in Falls church like Chuck suggested or you can hike to http://www.speedunlimited.com/ which is near Andrews Air Force Base.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

solo?
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Not exactly...
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Katya4me
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Katya4me »

Cereb Daithi wrote:Image

solo?
Solo II = Autox
Autox is a type of racing that is done in a large parking lot. A course is outlined w/ cones and cars go thru the course individually and are broken down by class based on the mods they have done.

This site has some info and videos of local events: Team WTF?!?!?
WDCR Solo Committee Member
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

if you go to a motorcycle shop, make sure you let them know you're buying the helmet for auto racing. SCCA and NASA don't recognize some of the certifications on bike helmets. I would also recommend an open faced helmet if you're racing in a car with an air bag.
Katya4me
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Katya4me »

Mr Kleen wrote:if you go to a motorcycle shop, make sure you let them know you're buying the helmet for auto racing. SCCA and NASA don't recognize some of the certifications on bike helmets. I would also recommend an open faced helmet if you're racing in a car with an air bag.
M2000 or S2000 is the certification that you need for a legal helmet. I am not worried about autoxing in a closed face helmet.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

SCCA started recommending open faced helmets in cars equipped with airbags this year, especially if you're a shorter driver and sit close to the steering wheel/airbag. I don't have a link but I remember reading this from an official source. it's not a rule, just a recommendation.
Katya4me
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Katya4me »

Mr Kleen wrote:SCCA started recommending open faced helmets in cars equipped with airbags this year, especially if you're a shorter driver and sit close to the steering wheel/airbag. I don't have a link but I remember reading this from an official source. it's not a rule, just a recommendation.
Yeah, I remember last year when this started going around right before Nationals. However, I have yet to hear about an airbag going off during autox. In the P5, the airbag won't go off except in a hard headon collision and who knows about the 16 yr. old Miata. I could see it being more of an issue for track days, esp. w/ newer cars that are not stripped track whores that have had their airbags pulled for weight savings.
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

sabre wrote:The one in Falls church like Chuck suggested or you can hike to http://www.speedunlimited.com/ which is near Andrews Air Force Base.
I used to go there many many moons ago when I was stationed at Andrews AFB because it's like, right outside the main gate. Do they have helmets there? Because I remember that place being fairly small and not having a whole lot.

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Ya, they had a fairly good selection (maybe 7 in different sizes) last time I was there.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

Libra Monkee wrote:I got mine from Coleman Powersports in Falls Church. Their prices are decent and their staff doesn't annoy you.
I second the vote for Coleman Powersports. I got my helmet there and they were very helpful. Although initially they tried to sell me an Arai helmet that was on sale for "only" $300!! :shock:

After I waved that off, they directed me to a much more affordable HJC helmet for ~$130.

Huge selection, though.

--Alan
GeneralGrievous

Where did you run? If it was w/ DC, I wish I'd known. Glad to hear that you had fun.
The run was at Fedex, lots E&F I think... behind the enormous church.
GeneralGrievous

^Man I wish I could figure out this quote thing.... i'm like quadruple quoting.... :?
GeneralGrievous

HHmmm me sees a trip to Coleman in Falls Church today... afterall its my only day off that I'm sure of... that is after I finish replacing the gutters on the side of the house :roll:

BTW man there isnt an inch of shade in that parking lot (for obvious reasons)...I'm somewhere between a Patrick and Mr Crabs shade.
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

GeneralGrievous wrote:...I'm somewhere between a Patrick and Mr Crabs shade.
Something like this?

GeneralGrievous

YES!

And in all the most farmer-like areasImage

I should get out more, I'm normally sporting the tragic flourescent palor..
Katya4me
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Katya4me »

Yeah, for the past 2 summers, I have developed a lovely tan along my arms and upper body, along w/ a terrific Teva tan and at the same time, maintaining a dead white stomach and upper legs. I cringed when I put on a swimsuit this past weekend. :eek: :sorry:
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

:drool: :postwhore2:

hahahahha
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

sabre wrote::drool: :postwhore2:

hahahahha
Whoa! Down boy! Heel HEEL!

Katya4me
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Katya4me »

sabre wrote::drool: :postwhore2:

hahahahha
Nope, more like this -> :OMG: