Which Classification To Go With??

Anything Autocross related

Moderator: Moderators

WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Which Classification To Go With??

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

So I've taken a look at some of the requirements for SCCA Autocross classifications and it looks like it's come down to two possible choices:

1) Remove my exhaust (except I could add a larger axle-back), remove the strut bar, replace the wheels and tires with same-size but lighter/better ones and be classified as D-Stock.

2) Add a sway bar (which I've already purchased from Hotsam), replace the wheels and tires with larger/lighter/better ones, add the UTEC (though I'm a little confused as to whether that's allowed), and possibly add a CAI to be classified as STX.

Pros and Cons:
Option 1)
* may put me into a less competitive group
* possibly good for a first season?
* not as much fun 'cause I gotta strip off my few mods

Option 2)
* puts me into a highly competitive group
* perhaps too competitive for a first year?
* but I get to add a lot more mods :)

Any suggestions on what I should do? What would you do if it were you? Thanks!

--Alan
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

mod how ever you want; compete against yourself for the first season; profit?
Katya4me
DCAWD Groupie

Re: Which Classification To Go With??

Post by Katya4me »

WRXWagon2112 wrote:So I've taken a look at some of the requirements for SCCA Autocross classifications and it looks like it's come down to two possible choices:

1) Remove my exhaust (except I could add a larger axle-back), remove the strut bar, replace the wheels and tires with same-size but lighter/better ones and be classified as D-Stock.

2) Add a sway bar (which I've already purchased from Hotsam), replace the wheels and tires with larger/lighter/better ones, add the UTEC (though I'm a little confused as to whether that's allowed), and possibly add a CAI to be classified as STX.

Pros and Cons:
Option 1)
* may put me into a less competitive group
Not really. The ITR is fierce competition and so is the BMW 330. Also, I've been at a couple of events where a VW R32 and Talon TSI both did well.
* possibly good for a first season?
* not as much fun 'cause I gotta strip off my few mods
How much do you want to spend on tires? R-comps aren't cheap and you need to change them at events.
Option 2)
* puts me into a highly competitive group
* perhaps too competitive for a first year?
* but I get to add a lot more mods :)
Actually, a lot of novices end up in STS/STX for the same reason you are describing. They've modded their cars in some small way and now they are out of stock class but want to autox. So, you have some very good drivers, and some very bad drivers, just a larger group as a whole as compared to DS. I was never able to compete in H stock w/ the P5 because I put in a short shifter when it was 3 months old and then lowering springs 2 months before I ever heard of autox, much less considered participating in it.

How much do you want to spend? There's a thread on a STX MSP buildup and he is up to about $7500, not including the cost of the car or event fees. I've probably spent, err... close to $2K on my car and it's not even close to competitive. I think Shawn has spent close to that on the Miata and we're looking at another set of wheels/tires for that and a whole list of other items, around $500, that we want to try and do before the end of the summer. DS lightweight wheels will probably run you about $700+, and then tires are about another $500 or so. And after that, it is mostly tire cost.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

As Gabe said, I'd get your car where YOU like it, then just have fun at the AutoX's :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Katya4me
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Katya4me »

Mr Kleen wrote:mod how ever you want; compete against yourself for the first season; PROFIT?
Only if you get Subaru and/or a tire company's contingency money. :D