VF43 vs. TD05-18G 7cm (ROUND TWO)

UTEC/Hydra/MOTEC? STi, WRX, EVO, Legacy, R32? Come on in!

Moderator: Moderators

sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

VF43 vs. TD05-18G 7cm (ROUND TWO)

Post by sirwilliam »

Well, as you know I already have the VF43 installed but still have the TD0518G7cm on the backburner.

My question is this:

Should I install the brand new Td05 prior to a protune or should I just stay w/ the already installed VF43?

Also, should I install a Prodrive CAI or a shorty COBB intake?
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: VF43 vs. TD05-18G 7cm (ROUND TWO)

Post by drwrx »

To get the most out of the 18G you will want larger injectors and fuel pump and likely some form of boost controller (3 port boost solenoid, MBC, or EBC). And there's the rub. Yes, the 18G (and the supporting mods to go with it) will net you around 15-20 whp over the vf43, but is the cost and effort worth it to you? I had a line on a TD06-20G for my FXT and decided against it as I already had a good ported and clipped vf22 on hand. Sure, it would have potentially been a 40+whp increase over the vf22, but the additional headaches involved were enough for me to nix it.

As for the intake, if your getting a protune, go with the CAI. CAIs have shown a marked improvement over Short Ram intakes in every (real) test I have ever seen. I'm sure the ProDrive is as nice a piece as they come.
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

i thought you were selling the 18g? i think you will be happy with the vf. if not i'd go 20g or better. you are bringing on a whole new debate now with sri or cai. personally i'd go cai. i'd have one now but my intercooler piping interferes with every cai out there.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

drwrx wrote:To get the most out of the 18G you will want larger injectors and fuel pump and likely some form of boost controller (3 port boost solenoid, MBC, or EBC). And there's the rub. Yes, the 18G (and the supporting mods to go with it) will net you around 15-20 whp over the vf43, but is the cost and effort worth it to you? I had a line on a TD06-20G for my FXT and decided against it as I already had a good ported and clipped vf22 on hand. Sure, it would have potentially been a 40+whp increase over the vf22, but the additional headaches involved were enough for me to nix it.

As for the intake, if your getting a protune, go with the CAI. CAIs have shown a marked improvement over Short Ram intakes in every (real) test I have ever seen. I'm sure the ProDrive is as nice a piece as they come.
Rub? I have not heard anything about any rub issues.

I will just go ahead w/ the VF43 now since it is already in there. I have a walboro fuel pump and a Perrin EBCS to go in prior to the protune. I also need to install my WB02 sensor and blue perrin CC. I am trying to get a hold of another FOZ owner that is selling his prodrive CAI. I have the shorty COBB intake BNIB but would rather have the Prodrive.

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Well, seems the prodrive was bought out from under me...I have the cobb sf intake. I may try to build a box for it or just install my APS CAI that I have...repaint it first :wink: I have also thought about picking up the beatrush intake w/ box like on the subtle foz shown below:

drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

You could pick-up an SPT intake heat shield to help insulate the short ram.
Or go with the APS cold air intake.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

drwrx wrote:You could pick-up an SPT intake heat shield to help insulate the short ram.
Or go with the APS cold air intake.
Maybe give the APS one more go again...if not, I will go w/ the cobb.