AP v1, Logging, etc.

UTEC/Hydra/MOTEC? STi, WRX, EVO, Legacy, R32? Come on in!

Moderator: Moderators

trailrated
I'm a n000b

AP v1, Logging, etc.

Post by trailrated »

Gentlemen,

I have an AP v1 and my STi has been flashed to Stage 2 (with supporting mods) since Thanksgiving. I have a few questions.

I just downloaded the newest version of AccessPORT Map Manager and the newest incarnations of:
• Stock Mode-Base Map
• Stage 2 93-Real Time Map
• Economy Mode-Real Time Map

I now have my BASE MAP as the Cobb Stage 2 93 Octane map on my car, nothing else.

Would it be safer to run the "Stock Mode" Cobb map as my BASE map and run the Stage 2 93 oct as my REALTIME map? Or...is leaving it the way I have it okay?

I have downloaded RomRaider and plan on doing some logging just for the hell of it. I've done quite a bit of research and it seems that I CAN use my AP v1 cable with a good quality serial-usb converter to log w/ RomRaider/Enginuity. Do you agree? (I just bought a netbook, so I'm kind of excited to put it to use)

Would there be any moderate performance benefit (as opposed to my off the shelf Cobb Stg. 2) in getting one of the $150 PDX Tuning maps at my current Stage 2 state. (where you tell them the mods on your car and they send you a map). I don't want to do a full out protune yet.

(Edited to be less confusing)

TYIA
-Will
Last edited by trailrated on Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
OHNOES!
Stage 2 '05 STi
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: AP v1, Logging, etc.

Post by zaxrex »

I have not played with AP like others have, Mr. Kleen?
Your new logging ability will give you a good look into the parameters of your engine. Post up your results and we can all take a look and learn/comment.
If absolute values are being sought by the EM, I don't see a problem with running a v2 ECU flash with a V2 AP map. But then again others with experience should chime in.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
trailrated
I'm a n000b

Post by trailrated »

I will certainly post my findings.
zaxrex wrote:If absolute values are being sought by the EM, I don't see a problem with running a v2 ECU flash with a V2 AP map. But then again others with experience should chime in.
I'm confused. A V2 Map?
OHNOES!
Stage 2 '05 STi
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

A few things come to mind:

What mods are on the car? TBE? TBE + Intake? BOV? Etc....

Yes, you should be able to log with the APv1 cable. You won't be able to read/write with it, but you should be able to log with it. Keep in mind that a large chunk of the logging will not be useful without a separate wideband O2 sensor and related cabling.

As far as a custom $150 internet-tune goes, it's a bit of a toss up. There are many who have seen good gains compared to an off the shelf map. Otoh, if you're going to spring for a full on dyno/road tune, that's $150 that you could save towards it.

Are you going to "seat of the pants" notice the difference between a Cobb ots stg II map and an internet tune map? Most likely not.

My advice would be to spring for a dyno/road tune. Best money you'll spend on the car (next to a good alignment of course.)

I think Zak was confusing your APv1 with an APv2.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

the AP V1 cable can be very finicky if you're using a COM to USB adapter. data logging is interesting but, like Colin said, without a wideband O2 is isn't going to generate nearly as much useful data.

not sure what the supporting mods for Cob stage 2 are on an STi but for a WRX I wouldn't use the stock map as the base map. use the Stage 2 map as the base map so you don't have to reflash if you loose power.

I agree with Colin: I wouldn't pay $150 for an off the shelf "internet map" but rather save that money for a tune on your car.

I used the AP V1 for several years and just sold it last fall. I got a custom tune after my turbo swap. :wink:

edit
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

Mr Kleen wrote: not sure what the supporting mods for Cob stage 2 are on an STi but for a WRX I wouldn't use the stock map as the base map.
downpipe and ecu reflash
-Ben
trailrated
I'm a n000b

Post by trailrated »

Thank you guys. I'll leave my ECU the way it is. I'm going to play around with logging next week.. I don't have the money for a wideband right now.
OHNOES!
Stage 2 '05 STi
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

These guys have covered 99% of the bases, but I thought I would throw in my $.02 about logging. When you log, you definitely want to have the following parameters logged:
RPM
AFR (usually AFR sensor #1, only good down to 11.83:1, but it helps )
Boost (In PSI, usually Manifold Absolute Pressure)
Ignition Total Advance
Injector Duty Cycle

If you can, log:
Learned Ignition Advanced (may be known as Ignition Knock Advance)
Knock (may or may not be there)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
trailrated
I'm a n000b

Post by trailrated »

I was planning on doing:

• Engine Speed
• Ignition Total Timing
• Knock Correction
• Manifold Relative Pressure (Corrected)
• Manifold Absolute Pressure
• Primary Wastegate Duty
• Throttle Opening Angle %
• A/F Correction #1
• A/F Learning #1
• Mass Airflow
• IAM (Ignition Advance Multiplier)* (extended parameter)
• Injector Duty
OHNOES!
Stage 2 '05 STi