Anyone want to help me read logs?

UTEC/Hydra/MOTEC? STi, WRX, EVO, Legacy, R32? Come on in!

Moderator: Moderators

wrxSIN
Bicycle

Anyone want to help me read logs?

Post by wrxSIN »

The Accessport can now data log so I was going to take some logs, but I have no idea what to look for. Basically I want to know if my car is "pulling timing, detonation, and knocking." What should I be data logging as well? (like...WG duty, ign adv timing, etc)
http://www.accessecu.com/support/docs/DataLog.html

Please help and thanks in advanced!

EDIT -- Engine Mods
2007 Subaru WRX
STOCK everything except
APv2 OTS Stage2 Map v1.03 93 OCT
Perrin Catless D/P 3"
STi midpipe
Turboxs standard axle back
Intake silencer delete

-Kenneth
Last edited by wrxSIN on Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ilike2startnewthreads

zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Anyone want to help me read logs?

Post by zaxrex »

I don't know what the stock log file includes, but at a min you would probably want RPM, Inj Duty Cyc, Ignit. Advance, Boost, Load, Knock Event, and AFR. The last might not be too telling as it is only a narrow band, but you can see if you are idling rich or something. Also, don't depend too heavily on the knock reading. Unless the AP has it's own signal processing, it is probably telling you what the ECU is saying. Do not use it to "tune 'till it starts knocking, and then back off a little" indicator.

There are tons of other variables, but if you just want a top level peek at what the engine is doing, those would get you there.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

I would agree with everything Zak has here:
RPM, Inj Duty Cyc, Ignit. Advance, Boost, Load, Knock Event, and AFR (I also agree, that the AFR are basically useless)

Will it graph in 3D? Or is it just in tables (not there is anything wrong with tables)?

If you pull a log and want to post it here I'll take a look at it.
What file format does the Accessport export to?
Also, give us a run down on what mods you have as well.
wrxSIN
Bicycle

Post by wrxSIN »

Edited first post to reflect engine mods

The things I can monitor are RPM, Calulated load,dyn adv mult, ignition adv, learned ign, throttle position, boost, watsegate duty cycle, a/f:r, inj pusle width, ign duty cycle, mass air flow, maf woltage, fuel trim short/long, coolant temp, intake temp, vehicle speed, battery volt.

It will export in an excel file like this one
THIS IS NOT MY LOG, THIS IS AN EXAMPLE LOG OF HOPEFULLY WHAT THE FORMAT WILL LOOK LIKE

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ight=knock
Somehow this post, he has knock correction. is that the same? I asked him how he got it so hopefully i'll get a response.

http://forums.cobbtuning.com/forums/sho ... stcount=10
Last edited by wrxSIN on Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

He was knocking. Bad. So bad that the detonation re-shaped some of the engine components. His engine is no longer of this world. In an attempt to prolong its life, the ECU did pull timing at the knock events. Knock events are there to tell you something is not good, it is telling you to look at the other variables and see what is wrong [not enough fuel, too much boost or ignition advance...], and fix it. We are glad to help.

3-D/color graphing is nice and makes things easier to read, but you work with what you can get. We'd take those, but if that is not part of the output choices, post your logs up as the actual excel files, or paste the actual values from the spreadsheet into your post, making sure that you use the {code} xxx {/code} tags

Code: Select all

1, 2, 3
A, B, C
That keeps the columns from getting re-formatted and is much easier to read.

Seems like the logging directions are pretty thorough and easy with the AP. Start with getting logs using their default variables, and then once you get the hang of that, then you can start making your custom choices. A lot of what you can log is not necessary. In rare cases would you need to know what your battery voltage is... The fewer columns, the easier it is to read.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
wrxSIN
Bicycle

Post by wrxSIN »

I have no idea how to graph, but i have 4 short logs. anywhere where i can upload them? i converted them to all .xls files. I can send original .csv file if needed
ilike2startnewthreads

zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Copy the values from your spreadsheet and paste them into a reply post in this thread, (make sure you have the column headings so we know what the numbers are about).

Make sure you use beginning and ending tags for posting CODE, like this example, but without the spaces:
[ code ] paste your stuff here. [ / code ]
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

Julian said he fixed attachments, you can try that as well.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Yep, attachments should work :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
wrxSIN
Bicycle

Post by wrxSIN »

says extension .xls and .csv is not allowed :(
ilike2startnewthreads

ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

wrxSIN wrote:says extension .xls and .csv is not allowed :(
Zip it!
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
wrxSIN
Bicycle

Post by wrxSIN »

jason to the rescue.

i just used my win rar to rar it up. let me know if u guys can open it and i can use "zip it"

thanks again!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ilike2startnewthreads

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

They look good :) You didn't pull to redline, I presume since you were running out of road or into traffic ;) Your IDC's are fairly low (good thing) as is your timing (could be raised). You're still on the stock turbo, right? Everything looks nice and safe, but a pull in 4th to redline would be really good to have. I'm glad to see you're putting your foot to the floor too. SO many people just do 80% throttle, gerrr. Best thing to do is get out on a open piece of road, shit into 4th around 2500RPM and floor it all the way to redline.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
wrxSIN
Bicycle

Post by wrxSIN »

I did mostly 2nd/3rd gear when pulling onto the highway for some super lane merging. I usually dont rev to red-line anyways since i make no power up there. Dont red line even in auto-x, but I could probably redline in 3rd or something over break when im out late. BUT i want to have as much info as I can so i could if needed. I was uncomfortable with full throttle because I felt like a douce lol. Nice, safe and functional is what I am looking for and it looks like I have hit that. I also hit target boost :)
ilike2startnewthreads

drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Sabre wrote:Best thing to do is get out on a open piece of road, shit into 4th around 2500RPM and floor it all the way to redline.
Amen Brother Amen!
Use 3rd if you can't get that much open road.
90 mph is a lot easier that 120 mph

Your tune looks pretty conservative and safe. Your boost only gets to 16 psi at around 3,800 RPMs and then drops off quickly after that. I never saw timing advance beyond 14 deg. at full boost / throttle. It usually sat around 10-12 deg. Your injector duty cycle never gets above 71%, so lots of room to push boost if you like. I would say let it peak at 17.5 psi and let it taper to around 13 psi at redline.
wrxSIN
Bicycle

Post by wrxSIN »

ill do a 3rd gear from 2k ==> red line later this week or next week. target boost for me on this map is 16psi +/- ~0.7psi. I also have a pretty restrictive cat back, so that prevents me from hitting more boost which i dont mind :)
ilike2startnewthreads

zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Sabre wrote:Best thing to do is get out on a open piece of road, shit into 4th around 2500RPM and floor it all the way to redline.
Don't ask why his gearshift has brown streaks on it...
:rolllaugh:

What smells in here? :poke:
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

lol, oops...
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI