HKS EVC EZ is killing me!!!

UTEC/Hydra/MOTEC? STi, WRX, EVO, Legacy, R32? Come on in!

Moderator: Moderators

GVR-4Chad
I walk to work

HKS EVC EZ is killing me!!!

Post by GVR-4Chad »

Anyone have any experience with the HKS EVC EZ. I've always used Hallman MBCs (reliable and cheap), but what the heck the car came with it installed so why not. The issue, with the knob turned all the way is all I can get is 13lbs of boost...sad I know. My setup (EVO III Big 16g ported, ported 2g mani, EVO III MAS, Walbro 255, 550 injectors, Aeromotive afpr...etc, etc) more than supports this level of boost. I just don't know what to do with this issue so I was wondering if anyone on here as any experience (any is more than I have) with this controller and can offer any help or help me re-install it to rule out any of those possible issues.
Chad
91 Galant VR-4 (989/2000) (Project Track Car)
92 Galant VR-4 (141/1000) (Project Street Car)
07 Legacy GT Spec.B (DD)
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Re: HKS EVC EZ is killing me!!!

Post by sirwilliam »

Never used one but did you make sure you have no boost leaks first?
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
GVR-4Chad
I walk to work

Post by GVR-4Chad »

With a boost leak (seen many in the past...intercooler piping leaks especially) I wouldn't be able to hold boost levels at a constant 13lbs, plus the first thing I did when all my recent mods were done was pressure test the entire system to find it still air tight no leaks present. I believe the unit was installed incorrectly when PTuning put the new turbo and manifold on. I've never installed or worked on one of these before so I'm going to attempt to trace all the wires and tubing and try to make sense of it all. Something has to be hooked up wrong.
Chad
07 Legacy GT Spec.B (DD)
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

drwrx has quite a bit of experience with EBC hookups. Might see if he has pointers or knows any pitfalls to avoid.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
gsx-lex
DCAWD Groupie

Post by gsx-lex »

the EVC EZ is pretty straight forward. If you cannot make more than 13 psi. chances are it was installed incorrectly (which is a hard thing to do). 13 psi, sounds like you are running off of the Wastegate actuator only. There could be a number or reasons for this. make sure your boost solenoid plumbing is correct (one end should be going to a boost reference, and the other goes to the Wastegate actuator). Also, make sure that the controller is actually turned on. Many EBCs (EVC EZ included), have pass-through solenoids which, When not powered, stay open.

Where do you live? I can look at it for you at the DnB meet, if you'd like.

-Lex
Have turbo, will spool.
I <3 Lesbians
GVR-4Chad
I walk to work

Post by GVR-4Chad »

Checked the entire plumbing last night and everything is pretty much good to go compared with the HKS Wiring Diagram. One vacuum line goes to the wastegate actuator, one to the intake mani, and one to the BOV. Yeah I live in Springfield, don't think I'm gonna make it to the D&B meet but we can definitely try to meet up sometime in the near future I would really appreciate you looking at the setup.
Chad
07 Legacy GT Spec.B (DD)
gsx-lex
DCAWD Groupie

Post by gsx-lex »

Excuse my really bad ASCI drawing, but lets assume that thing below is the HKS EVC Solenoid.
1. Goes to the Wastegate Actuator.
2. Goes to Somewhere on the IC pipe. Since you have a 16g, chances are you are still using the stock Jpipe with boost nipple.
3. Goes to Intake manifold.

1 2 3
_||__||__||_
| |
| |
| |
\__________/

If everything is correctly plumbed, I would check that the Solenoid is actually plugged into the controller.
Have turbo, will spool.
I <3 Lesbians
GVR-4Chad
I walk to work

Post by GVR-4Chad »

The solenoid (Stepping motor) is definitely plugged into the controller because when the unit is lowered the boost actually lowers accordingly, so it's receiving the controller input. Problem may be unrelated to the boost controller, because when the unit is off I can only pull around 5lbs of boost, I heard on the GVR-4 Forum that is is quite a bit low for an EVO III 16g. What else could be causing this condition? I'm gonna try bypassing the EVC by directly connecting a vacuum hose from the intercooler piping to the wastegate actuator.
Chad
07 Legacy GT Spec.B (DD)
gsx-lex
DCAWD Groupie

Post by gsx-lex »

At 5 psi, you are making much less boost than your stock WG actuator would allow. this leads me to believe that you have a boost leak somewhere. What is weird is that usually boost leaks are not dynamic (regardless what your Boost controller does, a coupler will leak at a given pressure. Tell us more about your problem.

Does it just run slow( is it power smooth) or does it stutter (like a fuel cut)?
What plugs are you using?
Is this something that started happening recently?
Any differences in Idling?
Have turbo, will spool.
I <3 Lesbians
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Sorry I'm late to the party. I don't have much exp with the HKS EVC EZ (I have the EVC iV).
I have to agree with Lex here, something is amiss. There is no way you should be running 5psi.
Did you have a manual BC on this set-up? Did it get better than 13psi? If so, than it's possible the EZ's stepping motor as they call it may be fried. That would not explain why you are not getting waste gate pressue. For that I suspect the following:
1. Boost leak (but the fact that you can get up to 13 psi makes that unlikely, though not impossible)
2. Waste gate won't open/close completely and your bleeding boost (so to speak). Actuator arm may need adjustment.
3. Gauge is reading incorrectly. If it's a mechanical check it's hose and see if it's got a leak or if it's pinched. If electric check wiring.
4. Turbo can no longer build boost properly. (This would be the worst case scenario)

Usually, if the EBC is installed incorrectly or not programed properly, either it won't work at all or it allows completely uncontrolled boost. I've had that happen a bunch of times with my EVC IV.
gsx-lex
DCAWD Groupie

Post by gsx-lex »

Make sure your Wastegate Actuator line is not leaking. I'd replace it just to make sure.
Have turbo, will spool.
I <3 Lesbians
GVR-4Chad
I walk to work

Post by GVR-4Chad »

Thanks for the assistance guys.
Some things to know:
-Setup is not new...bought the car with the EBC installed...orginally was stock setup running 15psi.
-New condition occurred after new mani and turbo installed
-Turbo is brand new EVO III 16g (MHI)
-This is my second GVR-4 so I have a bit of experience with boost leaks and this doesn't seem a likely cause, plus I pressurized the system after new turbo installed and it held 20psi (as high as I went) with no hissing leaks.
-Boost gauge is accurate as far as I can tell. Had another one hooked up after this was installed and both read the same numbers simultaneouly.
-All plumbing is in good order for the EBC, hoses not cracked, pinched everything hooked up right according to HKS diagram.
-Car runs great...I mean really great, running it a little rich now for safety sake, but lined it up against my brother 92x a few times and each run had him by 2 car lengths before hitting 3rd gear...so yeah car is definitely pulling hard and feels great even rich at 13lbs.
-Idle is perfect 800+.
-Removed the vacuum filters thinking they may be clogged...no fix there same condition as before now Advance Auto is a little richer.

The last thing I'm gonna try is bypassing the EBC this evening and seeing what boost the turbo will run then. It is ported so I expect 20+psi if the turbo runs wide open without any boost control. This is so confusing.
Chad
07 Legacy GT Spec.B (DD)
gsx-lex
DCAWD Groupie

Post by gsx-lex »

If your ever in the Columbia, MD area; I'll be glad to look at it for you. You might also want to check DSMTalk.com . It's a great resource for things like this.
Have turbo, will spool.
I <3 Lesbians
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

GVR-4Chad wrote:The last thing I'm gonna try is bypassing the EBC this evening and seeing what boost the turbo will run then. It is ported so I expect 20+psi if the turbo runs wide open without any boost control. This is so confusing.
That will certainly narrow it down if the MBC is able to hold more than 13psi.

Hope it all works out OK. I'll be excited to see it.

By the way, how many miles on this one? Is it also white? Is there a serial number on the head with this number: DPR 8D112?
GVR-4Chad
I walk to work

Post by GVR-4Chad »

Not the EBC cause I hooked up the good ole reliable Hallman MBC and guess what it maxed out at for boost?....13lbs!!! Going to further this investigation with wastegate actuator arm swapping (got like 4 spare turbos kicking around) and even more new vacuum line installation. Fingers crossed...13lbs on this setup feels good but I'm selling myself way short.
Chad
07 Legacy GT Spec.B (DD)
gsx-lex
DCAWD Groupie

Post by gsx-lex »

If you disconnect the Wastegate actuator arm from the WG flapper, can you open and close the flapper easily? Where are you getting the boost reference from?
Have turbo, will spool.
I <3 Lesbians
GVR-4Chad
I walk to work

Post by GVR-4Chad »

If it is the wastegate...I'm leaning towards it being too long allowing the wastegate to not close completely...thus the slightly slower spool time and only being limited to a certain amount of pressure. I might do the adding washer trick to tighten it up or I may just swap the entire wastegate actuator and arm with one of the other 16gs I have kickin' around. The 13lbs of boost was confirmed on 2 different boost controllers (VDO and Autometer) both hooked up at the same time showing just about the same boost numbers. Tomorrow's testing has to reveal something more.
Chad
07 Legacy GT Spec.B (DD)
GVR-4Chad
I walk to work

Post by GVR-4Chad »

Got together with another GVR-4 owner...after 6 hours of swapping manual and electronic boost controllers, replacing all vacuum lines, boost leak testing (again), wastegate pressure testing...diagnosis is unknown. The next day I started messing with the wastegate actuator arm by adding two washers to each side, thus shortening the length of the actuator arm...this was a semi-fix. My boost gauge now reads 14lbs (which we found in our testing was off by at least 3lbs compared to the more accurate VDO gauge)...so now I'm pushing 17lbs and the spool has quickened noticeably. Still have some vacuum lines on the EBC unit I look to replace and shorten and maybe I'll add two more washers in the future just got to be careful not to overdue it and prevent the wastegate from opening at all. I'm happy with how it's running right now and hopefully it only gets better. Thanks for all the help.
Chad
07 Legacy GT Spec.B (DD)
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

This case is a good example of why it can be so hard to diagnose this kind of thing:
The actuator arm did need adjustment AND the boost gauge wasn't reading correctly.
I'm glad to hear your holding 17psi. What's your final goal?
BTW, what EM are you using for your injectors and AFR and timing?
GVR-4Chad
I walk to work

Post by GVR-4Chad »

Really want to start tracking the car soon, but for dd duty I'm happy where it stands right now. I tune via the SAFC and Palm Datalogger using MMCd software method. The tune on the car is quite modest now, but come track time I'll up the boost a bit and lean it down a safe bit, but as a dd car this thing definitely pulls hard enough to make me smile. The EVO III MAS, E3 Big 16g, Walboro 255, Aeromotive AFPR really leave the ceiling high for tuning, but I'm still only running RC 550 injectors...thinking about 660s and cams as the next phase of upgrades...modding these cars is a disease. :mrgreen:
Chad
07 Legacy GT Spec.B (DD)
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

GVR-4Chad wrote:thinking about 660s and cams as the next phase of upgrades...modding these cars is a disease.
At least for DSMs the cure is inexpensive.
RC 650 cc injectors are cheap (around $250) as are cams (around $300 for 272s) and both are a fairly easy install. Mod On!
gsx-lex
DCAWD Groupie

Post by gsx-lex »

RC injectors are IMHO one of the best brand out there. I 've seen these last years, constantly seeing >90% duty cycles! For an EvoIII 16g, you shouldn't need anything more than 550cc. Good luck!
Have turbo, will spool.
I <3 Lesbians