AP Questions!

UTEC/Hydra/MOTEC? STi, WRX, EVO, Legacy, R32? Come on in!

Moderator: Moderators

wrxSIN
Bicycle

AP Questions!

Post by wrxSIN »

I have been doing research on APv2 since I recently got one coming in the mail due to all the hype and me finding one for 550 that I couldnt pass up. So basically, I read how to use it and I have an idea of how to install it. I have not tried yet seeing as how I havent recieved it yet, but I'de assume that its easy since it just connects to the OBD-II connector under the steering wheel.

My real question is basically on boost creep on Stg 2. Apparently, even if you go stg 2 reflash with catless d/p, it will still have boost creep due to a mechanical issue. My question is that when cobb says "as long as you have one cat in your exhaust, you will most likely not have this problem." The reason theys say this is because the cat will cause back pressure which will stop the over boosting before it occurs. So does this mean that if i run like..a catless DP with stock sti cat back i wont have boost creep? (cause' i have a resonator and stock muffler)

also, chicken and waffles, i looked really hard for a v1, then i read that ap doesnt make v1 for the 07..CRAP!! :?
chicken n waffles

Re: AP Questions!

Post by chicken n waffles »

wrxSIN wrote: also, chicken and waffles, i looked really hard for a v1, then i read that ap doesnt make v1 for the 07..CRAP!! :?
i did not know that :? :cry: . guess you'll have to rock the v2! but surrrioslee, you might be better off putting that $ towards a protune. $500+ just seems like too much coin to me for an accessport, even if it has all of v2's bells and whistles.

or get a utec? at least that way you can tinker with afr's, etc.
-Ben
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Good chance that keeping the stock axleback will prevent you from having boost creep, but you never know!

You can still get a ProTune with the v2 and it's definitely something I would recommend!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Bluestreak2006
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Bluestreak2006 »

No boost creep here.

Cobb V1
Invidia Catless DP
Megan catback :lol:
Jay

11 STI Hatch
"Wagon Mafia"
Stage 1 Baby
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

Eh I saw the V1 and owned a V2, I would not own a v1 if I had the choice. Was not a huge fan of the required external power supply and the serial action. The v2 is a small unit with no power requirements as it gets it from the USB bus. The price for the v2 is pretty good, I sold mine for $600 cash a few months ago. That being said you can also get a reflash tune w/o an access port, but it will be much easier to find someone who can tune via the AP vs reflash.
Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited
wrxSIN
Bicycle

Post by wrxSIN »

well, boost creep ONLY occurs on the 07s for some retarded Subaru mechanical deficiancy in the brain. And i was thinking about going straight pro tune, but I like having my options open. I also plan on using the Ap for a boost gauge sometimes since i have absolutly no gauges in my car to prevent me from blowing up. Also, if i remember, ill give cobb a call about the boost creep issue.
TAPOUT
Unicycle

Post by TAPOUT »

chicken n waffles wrote:
wrxSIN wrote:or get a utec? at least that way you can tinker with afr's, etc.
That's the ticket on the 07. I have the Utec, and I have been everything from Stealth back only to GT35R. I have seen lots of 07's have issues with the APv2. I think the Utec is a much more capable machine, and it gives you a lot more control.
wrxSIN
Bicycle

Post by wrxSIN »

TAPOUT wrote:
chicken n waffles wrote:
wrxSIN wrote:or get a utec? at least that way you can tinker with afr's, etc.
That's the ticket on the 07. I have the Utec, and I have been everything from Stealth back only to GT35R. I have seen lots of 07's have issues with the APv2. I think the Utec is a much more capable machine, and it gives you a lot more control.

well crap cause i already bought it!! :roll:

why is it better?

also called cobb, said "maybe" lol.
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

I have not heard about anyone having issues with the 2007 and the APv2. The Utec is certainly more advanced and costly if you want to go that route however IMHO the APv2 is a fine piece.
Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited
wrxSIN
Bicycle

Post by wrxSIN »

o wow. im definitly NOT looking to spend more lol. if utec is more expensive i probably would not have gotten it anyways.
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

Yes the UTec Delta for a 2007 probably runs $800-$900.
Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited
wrxSIN
Bicycle

Post by wrxSIN »

that really woulda broke the bank for me. :(

anyways, i found this interesting

http://www.accessecu.com/products/ap-comparisons.html
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

wrxSIN wrote:that really woulda broke the bank for me. :(

anyways, i found this interesting

http://www.accessecu.com/products/ap-comparisons.html
There is only one piece of hardware, the other columns refer to the software a tuner can purchase to tune utilizing the accessport device.
Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited
wrxSIN
Bicycle

Post by wrxSIN »

my other question i have is that people said that you can pick maps that have specific items on it, IE stock car w/ spt intake. where can i find these maps as i did not see them on the cobb d/l site
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

There are maps with custom features, octane ratings, etc... however I don't see any SPT maps either. The SPT intake should be fine with a cobb stage 1/2 map as that is how the SPT products are designed. ( To be very compatible with stock ECU )
Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited
wrxSIN
Bicycle

Post by wrxSIN »

what is stage 1/2? i mean...do they have stg 1 1/2? all i see is 1/2/3 etc w/ LC and crap.

also, i read on the cobb forums that even with 93 octane around here, i should run the 91 octane map..a bit confused on that.
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

Stage1: Reflash only
Stage2: Turbo back exhaust, ( Intake optional ), Reflash
Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited
wrxSIN
Bicycle

Post by wrxSIN »

yeh, i understand the stages fine, but the 1/2 stages are like :?: to me. so they dont have maps for 1/2 stages..so they dont relaly exist?
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

The only half stages I am aware of are > Stage 2 and are kinda made up ;)
Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited
wrxSIN
Bicycle

Post by wrxSIN »

cool thanks. do you happen to know about the 91 vs 93 octane maps?
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

If you put 91 in the car use the 91 octane map, if you put 93 use the 93 map. If there is something special about the 2007 I am not aware of it, but that's what I did in my car.
Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited
wrxSIN
Bicycle

Post by wrxSIN »

i guess i was reading this

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ght=octane

"less risk of detonation"
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Running the 91 map with 93 gas will decrease the chance of detonation since they are not running as much timing and are a little richer (this also means less power). Most of the COBB of the shelf maps are very safe. I would have no issues running the 93 around here.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I've been using the APv1 93-octane stage-2 map on my 2004 WRX for over 2 years with 0 issues. I had the car dynoed and the AFR's were great: not to rich, not to lean. I haven't fiddled with it since. :P I'd consider myself a happy customer (other than the AP shipping with old firmware months after the new firmware was released).
wrxSIN
Bicycle

Post by wrxSIN »

Yeh, ill probably run the 93 map anyways, just a thought. also, how would i update the maps anyways? and anyone have any ideas on how to..well not mount the AP in the car, but have it so i can look at boost, etc. i probably wont have a perma place for it. i just want to run it so i can watch boost levels for a bit and see if they are safe.