AP Questions!

UTEC/Hydra/MOTEC? STi, WRX, EVO, Legacy, R32? Come on in!

Moderator: Moderators

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

I believe it has logging capability, so that would be the best way.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
wrxSIN
Bicycle

Post by wrxSIN »

so DONT perma plug it and just like plug it in like 1-3 times a week and check logs? how do you do this anyways?
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

The best way to log is with a Tactrix cable and a laptop, but if the APv2 logs that's cool. I'd just say do some runs with it and transfer the logs to your PC and look at em. Do some initial logging w/o hitting full boost / RPM, then if that's safe do some 4th gear pulls.
Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited
wrxSIN
Bicycle

Post by wrxSIN »

i hope its in the manual. i have no idea how to data log
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

I doubt your in any danger.

I don't think the AP's base maps remove the 17.5 psi "fuel cut" built into the Subaru's ECU and if your not getting fuel cut than your not likely going beyond what the ECU should be able to adjust for.
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

Yeah the cobb maps are pretty damn safe and conservative. That's why a good tune and reflash can net you more HP/TQ than a simple cobb map.
Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited
wrxSIN
Bicycle

Post by wrxSIN »

i <3 conservative and safe :P
wrxSIN
Bicycle

Post by wrxSIN »

got my ap and flashed stg1. very smooth, but it feels less torquey. i dont think ap has logging. but i flashed stg1 with an older map and peaked at about 14ish. but i reflashed to stg1, but newer map. i hope that the boost still maintains a peak of 14ish since i dont have anyone to look at boost gauge while i drive.
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

There are also two maps you can utilize. One for high wastegate duty and one for low wastegate duty depending on whether or not you are having trouble reaching target boost.
Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited
wrxSIN
Bicycle

Post by wrxSIN »

well according to the AP boost gauge, its hitting about 14.5 which is fine with me, but that was with the 1.00 map and now im running the newer version. i just have to verify im hitting target boost and not over boosting.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Boosting higher than that is fine, it's the AFR's that you have to watch.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
wrxSIN
Bicycle

Post by wrxSIN »

cool. i will double check the AFR's tommrow with my stock narrow band. with the old man i was fine. hopefulyl it wil lbe the same with my newer map.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

if you're really worried about it, get the to a dyno post haste. (I recommend PTuning) a proper dyno run with a wideband sensor is what you need to get the information you're looking for.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

There is little to worry about. All of the "base maps" I have ever looked at have always run rich and if the stated boost is only 1 bar (14.5 psi) you are at almost no risk of leaning out, even with boost creep. Most of the alternative maps that Cobb offers usually just advanced timing, add more boost in the low RPM range and add more agressive throttle response but do not adjust the air fuel ratio at all.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

^^^ Interesting! Makes sense why people see such improvements from a ProTune then too. I can't blame COBB though, the last thing they want to do is put out a map that is unsafe for even 1% of motors.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
wrxSIN
Bicycle

Post by wrxSIN »

well i got this pretty cool universal mount for ipod/cellphone/pda etc to stick in my ac vent. i can actually have it up and see it when i drive now. im gonna have it on tommrow when i go to school. post pics later =)
Bluestreak2006
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Bluestreak2006 »

Just be aware of the thieves who might think its some type of nav system or something else uber expensive they can take to a pawn shop. Damn crack heads....
Jay

11 STI Hatch
"Wagon Mafia"
Stage 1 Baby
wrxSIN
Bicycle

Post by wrxSIN »

yeh i am totally scared of that :( ill take pictures of it when i get home. its pretty descreet though. every night when i go to sleep i take my ap and all the cables back into my house though. my sister has xm radio and i tell her to take the crap off when she isnt in the car. she says she does but she leaves the mount on. i dont live in the safest neighborhood either :(

edit -- today at 41 degrees i hit 16.1psi in fourth gear and in third gear. i think im over boosting the target of 13.5psi. should i just not worry about it?
Last edited by wrxSIN on Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wrxSIN
Bicycle

Post by wrxSIN »

shows leg clearence. ive only grazed it about twice when i was double clutching
it sits in a baby sock when im gone or i take it with me.
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

Nice mount bro, looks clean!! You could route a cable behind the dash a bit if wanted to, maybe with a USB extender so to not use up the tactrix cable inside the dash.
Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited