flashing, tantric cables, opening ports, and... shex

UTEC/Hydra/MOTEC? STi, WRX, EVO, Legacy, R32? Come on in!

Moderator: Moderators

supasixfo
Bicycle

flashing, tantric cables, opening ports, and... shex

Post by supasixfo »

So, a couple weeks ago, i finally sat down to learn how to use ecuflash. we got some down time - if we blow up the car, we can get a new one caged and built by next month right?

so i hit up evolutionm, and the important ecu links takes me to a 170+ page PDF document. I breeze through a few pages. ok, no problem. few clicks later, i come across something called "tephramod" thread, which at the time of this writing is 190 pages and goin'. wow, really?! 190 pages to learn how to tick some boxes for fuel, timing, and ...well i guess you can't really adjust air. so fuel, and timing right? when the heck did tuning a car become rocket science?!!

and the cable - don't get me started on the cable - really, tell me with a straight face the dude(or lady) that created this chart isn't just trying to confuse the sh*t out of you: like, come on. i just need a freakin' cable. give me THE ONE THAT WORKS.
cable_selector.png
anyways, hundreds of threads, many late nights, and "wow... a developer must have written this GUI" moments later... i've got NLTS, an o2 simulator, a bunch of patches to force "OBD2 readiness" (for all the hippies out there, don't have a hernia, yes, car's got a high flow cat on it. problem is the cat at the tip and when we went looking for rear o2 sensor, all we found were a nice pair of cut dangling cables :P), and a slightly better understanding of what is "tunable" in the evo. was all of that mumbo jumbo really necessary?

anyways, that was the long winded version of what i really want to ask, which is actually a continuation of this thread: http://forums.dcawd.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9723

Now that i can do that in the evo, what do i need to do to get rid of that P0446 code my '00 RS is throwing.

it's some EVAP related item. I can't get to it. the bolts holding the charcoal canister are rusted/stripped/total FUBAR'd til kingdom come. My next step is to grab the angle grinder, but then that means i have to figure out how the hell to zip tie the GD canister back after I get to some wires to get to some plugs that *MIGHT* be broken and actually be what is causing the code and if replaced may or may not fix my actual problem.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alvin
Black Box rally team
Our blog: http://www.blackboxrally.com
Like us: http://www.facebook.com/blackboxrally
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: flashing, tantric cables, opening ports, and... shex

Post by Sabre »

Oooohhh, that sounds like fun :) You didn't just buy a Tactrix cable?!?! ;)

I looked around a little, but didn't see any ROMRaider defs. Looks like everyone out there uses COBB AccessPort for tuning RS's :(

Sadly, might be easier to replace the canister than to get the reflash working :( Let me know if I can be of any help!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

supasixfo wrote:Now that i can do that in the evo, what do i need to do to get rid of that P0446 code my '00 RS is throwing.

it's some EVAP related item. I can't get to it. the bolts holding the charcoal canister are rusted/stripped/total FUBAR'd til kingdom come. My next step is to grab the angle grinder, but then that means i have to figure out how the hell to zip tie the GD canister back after I get to some wires to get to some plugs that *MIGHT* be broken and actually be what is causing the code and if replaced may or may not fix my actual problem.
Sadly, I have the same P0446 code problem with the Forester. I just had Julian hide the code in ROM Raider, I'm lazy like that.
My situation is actually worse than your's. The Forester will vapor lock when the gas tank is filled, but only if it is under a quarter tank. The car will sputter and stall if the car is running while the tank is filled, but again, not if it is above a quarter tank. Same problem with the Canister as well, damn hard to get to.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

drwrx wrote:Same problem with the Canister as well, damn hard to get to.
The charcoal canister? The one on the STI is on the right side of the gas tank and easy to get to!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Sabre wrote:
drwrx wrote:Same problem with the Canister as well, damn hard to get to.
The charcoal canister? The one on the STI is on the right side of the gas tank and easy to get to!
Up
Shut
You

My other words of wisdom are, "Did you try tightening the gas cap"?
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears