I wants me a protune

UTEC/Hydra/MOTEC? STi, WRX, EVO, Legacy, R32? Come on in!

Moderator: Moderators

Bluestreak2006
DCAWD Groupie

I wants me a protune

Post by Bluestreak2006 »

Hey guys if you didn't know already I'm coming back to va. I'll be back this weekend for good. So im interested in getting some more power out of the sti. Car has a catted invidia down pipe, Cobb sf intake and an access port. Wondering who you guys would recommend for a tune as well as any supporting mods to through on. I was thinking a ebcs and maybe a dw65 fuel pump. Thoughts
Jay

11 STI Hatch
"Wagon Mafia"
Stage 1 Baby
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: I wants me a protune

Post by Sabre »

The EBCS is a GREAT mod for the car! I'm pretty backed up on tunes, otherwise I would offer my services.

Welcome back BTW!!!!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Bluestreak2006
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Bluestreak2006 »

Then I will certainly pick an ebbs up. Do you have a wait list j/k? I'm in no hurry but just want to get a little bit more out out of the old girl. Would you suggest any other tuners or part combos? I was thinking about a uel header as well.
Jay

11 STI Hatch
"Wagon Mafia"
Stage 1 Baby
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Believe it or not, I do! lol, I have two tunes that I need to do a little fine tuning on and two new tunes (plus one of my own).

Headers are an easy 15whp/tq mod, and they really do not need any tuning. The fuel pump might allow us to push the injectors a little more, so we could raise boost more.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Bluestreak2006
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Bluestreak2006 »

Well i knew you were supersmart on this stuff. Ill be picking up parts in a few weeks. Probably have an install day at the new house. Have a 3 car air conditioned garag and would gladly pay for your time.
Jay

11 STI Hatch
"Wagon Mafia"
Stage 1 Baby
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Pay? What is this pay? We don't need no stinking pay!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Bluestreak2006
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Bluestreak2006 »

Well then lots of free beer and pizza!
Jay

11 STI Hatch
"Wagon Mafia"
Stage 1 Baby
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

If you get an ebcs you will need a tune.
If Julian is too busy, you could get an off the shelf tune from torqued performance.
The headers are an easy install. 8 bolts, but the heat shields are a bit of a pain.
FreddyG
Bicycle

Post by FreddyG »

drwrx wrote:If you get an ebcs you will need a tune.
If Julian is too busy, you could get an off the shelf tune from torqued performance.
The headers are an easy install. 8 bolts, but the heat shields are a bit of a pain.
he has an sti, sadly torqued performance is only for the wrx as the dccd messes up for tuning on the sti. He will have to go accessport as opensource doesnt work on the newer sti's as far as i know.
You will have to go through a tuner who has accesstuner in order to go protuned through the AP
"If you see a bomb technician running, follow him."
- USAF Ammo Troop
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

FreddyG wrote:he has an sti, sadly torqued performance is only for the wrx as the dccd messes up for tuning on the sti. He will have to go accessport as opensource doesnt work on the newer sti's as far as i know.
Good catch, I had forgotten that he had a new STi. So Torqued performance is not an option.
I believe XPT has an open source Map for the 08-12 STi.
http://www.xpttuning.com/index.php?main ... x&cPath=48
Bluestreak2006
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Bluestreak2006 »

Thanks guys, I already have an access port so that would be my preference to continue using it. Any suggestions for a set of headers? I'll be doing uel for sure. My bonus just hit, so I should start ordering parts soon.
Jay

11 STI Hatch
"Wagon Mafia"
Stage 1 Baby
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

XPT has a Map "Package" for Accessport for 2012 STi:
http://www.xpttuning.com/index.php?main ... cts_id=150

As far as headers, I say go cheap:
ebay has sets that go for just over $100 with shipping. A number of folks from our group have purchased them. Julian had very bad luck with one, so don't buy from them.
Just get the 2 bolt up-pipe flange design. If you decide to get an up-pipe as well, make sure is has a flex section. But I would say stick with the stock up-pipe.
You could also pick-up a set of ported stock cast iron manifold pieces with a crosspipe from either Grimm Speed or Injen. The ported stockers and x-pipe give better bottom end response, but the headers give better top-end performance.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

drwrx wrote:As far as headers, I say go cheap:
ebay has sets that go for just over $100 with shipping. A number of folks from our group have purchased them. Julian had very bad luck with one, so don't buy from them.
Just get the 2 bolt up-pipe flange design. If you decide to get an up-pipe as well, make sure is has a flex section.
:plusone: Only advice I'd add is don't wrap the exhaust.
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Or if you do decide to have them wrapped, have Gabe do it for you. Mine is still where he left it, on the pipes.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Really? Every component I wrapped on my own car broke a weld and had to be repaired or replaced! :rolllaugh:
Man I do love doing a wrap though. It's like Zen rock gardening to me. :wiggle:
Bluestreak2006
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Bluestreak2006 »

Recommendations for a header?
Jay

11 STI Hatch
"Wagon Mafia"
Stage 1 Baby