Stage 1 or stock for reliability?

UTEC/Hydra/MOTEC? STi, WRX, EVO, Legacy, R32? Come on in!

Moderator: Moderators

FreddyG
Bicycle

Stage 1 or stock for reliability?

Post by FreddyG »

Hey guys so I recently bought a 2011 wrx in october and i've read on mulitple threads about going to stage 1 immediately because the stock tune is horrible and can ruin my engine. I want to know where the sources for this information is? I don't think subaru would make a tune that is bad for the engine that makes no sense. Can anyone help enlighten this situation because this is the deciding factor between me getting a ap or not. I'm not looking for more power I just want my car to last.
"If you see a bomb technician running, follow him."
- USAF Ammo Troop
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Stage 1 or stock for reliability?

Post by Mr Kleen »

The stock tune will not ruin your engine, if it does there's a warranty. Why buy a performance car if you can't trust it not to blow up?
(wait, we aren't talking 1980s exotic cars are we?)

That said, my 2004 WRX was pretty awesome at just a Stage 1 tune. I didn't use the "it will blow up if I don't do this" excuse to justify it to myself. :wink:
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

the tune on 2008 models was unsafe; there was a "Stop Sale" for all turbo models. I put a Cobb tune on mine the day it came home after a lengthy discussion on the phone with Christian Krahenbul at Cobb (their lead programmer for Subaru). I think any issues were sorted out by late 2009/early 2010 so 2011+ should be a non-issue
2013 BMW 328i M Sport with 8sp in Estoril Blue II
2012 Chrysler 300C SRT8 - Always bet on black
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
FreddyG
Bicycle

Post by FreddyG »

PGT wrote:the tune on 2008 models was unsafe; there was a "Stop Sale" for all turbo models. I put a Cobb tune on mine the day it came home after a lengthy discussion on the phone with Christian Krahenbul at Cobb (their lead programmer for Subaru). I think any issues were sorted out by late 2009/early 2010 so 2011+ should be a non-issue
best answer ive seen all day thank you sir!
"If you see a bomb technician running, follow him."
- USAF Ammo Troop
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

I wouldn't be concerned with the current stock tune on a WRX or STi, at least not as far as safety goes.
It is very clear however, that the stock tune leaves a lot of power on the table.
A stage one tune can easily net around 25 whp and 40 lb/ft. A stage two can be another 25-30 above that on both.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

I can +1 this as well. Hearing about the poor factory tunes from 2008ish I went for a proven / clean stage 1 tune almost immediately after I purchased my 2012.
I am waiting for 1000 miles to go stage 2 :)
Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited