Threads of note while tuning an automatic Subaru

UTEC/Hydra/MOTEC? STi, WRX, EVO, Legacy, R32? Come on in!

Moderator: Moderators

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Threads of note while tuning an automatic Subaru

Post by Sabre »

Timing retard at shift points
Tuning to extend the life of the Automatic Transmission

Not related to tuning, but an interesting mod to improve shift times:
2002 WRX Valve Body Removal / Modification / Installation

The reason that this has come up is that there is a delay of some sort from when you push the gas pedal to accelerate and when the power actually comes on. It's probably to protect the transmission, but it is such a large delay that we know we can reduce it a little and still be safe. It looks like both boost and timing are affected. I'll let everyone know what I find after!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Threads of note while tuning an automatic Subaru

Post by drwrx »

Interesting that you found that "Tuning to extend the life of the Automatic Transmission" post.
I found another post that linked to it over the weekend and had planned to talk with you tonight about it. Some adjustmests probably need to be done.
I've also been doing some research into high stall torque converters, but they are pricey, $550, and I've never installed a TC before.
The valve body mod is also something I looked at but will likely let go since you have to send the unit to IPT and, again, it ain't cheap $530.
I was thinking of downloading XPT's stage 2 automatic Map just to look at it and see how it compares. It's only $52.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

i've read that XPT's maps really aren't too shabby. not as good as a full-on road or dyno tune, but sure to have some improvements.

i bet if nothing else, you'd be able to see where they looked to make gains.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

complacent wrote:i've read that XPT's maps really aren't too shabby.
I've looked at his Stg 2.5 WRX map before and it looked quite good.
His power numbers (based on the ones that have been posted on NAS!0) are pretty impressive as well.

Braden used to be a regular poster on the OpenECU forums (and perhaps still is) and I have never known him to give bad advice or see anything that I even thought questionable.