hella supertones

What does this red wire do? Zzzzzt Oops

Moderator: Moderators

captainslow
I'm starting to be a post wh0re

hella supertones

Post by captainslow »

This request is for anyone who has installed Hella Supertones on a Subaru before and considers him/herself adept at it - if you have any time and would like to be wined and dined in return - including your S.O. if you have one (I'm not footing the bill for polyamory), please send me a PM. It helps too if you have a jack stand as my hands are pretty butchered ATM from digging around the grill. If I had smaller hands and more patience, I'm sure victory would have been mine :cry:

Btw, I finally realized why no one works on their cars in my parking garage. In my building, no one gives each other the time of day. But open up the hood and it's like brain surgery is taking place. "WHAT IS GOING ON???" Holy crap everyone came out of the woodwork to talk. One guy in particular kept returning to tell me about the Mazda he rebuilt in the '80s. Everyone means well but omg at some point it's like I'm hanging out the cold parking garage for a reason, people!
TRANS4M
Tricycle

Re: hella supertones

Post by TRANS4M »

If your small hands didn't work, I'm of no help.

I will be getting a set myself and if you want to wait, I'll help you out.
captainslow

Post by captainslow »

i have big hands. they're like face huggers.

thank you for the offer. i may take you up on that.
TRANS4M
Tricycle

Post by TRANS4M »

where did you order them from?
captainslow

Post by captainslow »

subimods.com. i ordered mine in world rally blue. if you pay a little extra, you can get them in colors other than the standard red. they also have brackets to prop 'em up with.

i think you should go with the fuschia :mrgreen:

btw if you don't care about colors, this place has them for $64 including shipping which is pretty reasonable. and the red isn't bad anyway.
http://www.safedrives.com/proddetail.as ... 801&cat=60
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Sabre's got em on his. He might have some tips and pointers. Don't know how busy he is though, so he might not be able to get his hands on your car. :)

I installed my exhaust headers in the APD detective's parking lot and had the same experience. Had the whole car up on jack stands. Had the same response, everybody wanted to know what was going on. Nobody offered to help though...
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
HappyIdiot
DCAWD Groupie

Post by HappyIdiot »

I never done the install before, but I would be more than happy to lend a hand and learn how to install them. They are on my list to install.
My Name is Adam.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Actually, I have air horns, not Supertones :) Same deal with hooking them up though. Looks like I'm free Wed/Thurs. It should only take 30 minutes or so. I live in Springfield near the Costco. Let me know if you want to come down and we can knock it out.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

If you feel like spending a bit more Subimods also started selling these...
Link of Brackety Goodness
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Cereb Daithi wrote:If you feel like spending a bit more Subimods also started selling these...
That's pretty slick!
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

I can't reccomend those brackets enough. i've installed the air horns on the STI and the truck horn on the Saabaru and both times it was a bit of a chore trying to find something that would work for mounting them. If these brackets are a plug and play affair I'll install them at your/my earliest covenience.
captainslow

Post by captainslow »

hey thanks all for your tips and offers of assistance! i really appreciate it.

i did snag one of those brackets from subimods, as well as a wiring harness kit. if you're thinking about getting the horns, you will need to supply the wiring on your own. i chose to go with the premade kit.

for those who offered to help, i'll be in touch. thanks again everyone.
captainslow

Post by captainslow »

subimods.com has nice brackets. and they do a good job painting the horns. but they did not include the relay that's supposed to come with the horns, nor the instructions.

:wtf:

i even bought the wire harness for the relay that was supposed to come with the horns from subimods but there was nothing to plug it into.

Julian and Adam were kind enough to make things right. after a fruitless trip to advanced autoparts for a relay that didn't quite work, some jerry rigging with jumper wire was necessary to get the horns working.

so i owe a debt of gratitude to these two. it was cold and dark outside but they didn't care. and now my car looks and sounds nicely menacing. i will post pics when i put the grill back on. thanks guys! :drive:
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Jerry rigging? Without me? That is unpossible! Glad you got some help.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

What car do you have? Most Subies have a horn relay already. All you have to do is extend the factory connectors and find a suitable ground.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

thermobox wrote:What car do you have? Most Subies have a horn relay already. All you have to do is extend the factory connectors and find a suitable ground.
Which is pretty much what we did with the jumper wire :)

I understand what they wanted to do with the wiring harness: Basically, the wiring harness hooked the horns up directly to the battery and used the factory horn wire to trip the relay. The problem is, it was wired wrong :lol: So what we did was put a jumper on the relay harness that hooked the OEM horn + to the horns + side. Worked out just fine :)

Zak: It did feel weird getting the duck tape, zip ties and jumper wires out without you! (ok, minus the duck tape...)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
TRANS4M
Tricycle

Post by TRANS4M »

was the bracket useful or would I be wasting my money?
captainslow

Post by captainslow »

TRANS4M wrote:was the bracket useful or would I be wasting my money?
it's holds them up nicely. otherwise i think you have to find somewhere on the front of your car to screw them into.

i don't know which model or year you have, but AD Motorsports has brackets for $5.00 for certain WRXs, RSs and 92xs.

http://admotorsports.net/index.php?main ... ex&cPath=2
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Cereb Daithi wrote:If you feel like spending a bit more Subimods also started selling these...
He just got back to me stating that he sent in the foz batch to get powdercoated and he will let me know when they are good to go...can't wait! I miss the supertones that I had on my '04.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer