Clock wiring help

What does this red wire do? Zzzzzt Oops

Moderator: Moderators

goob_os101
DCAWD Groupie

Clock wiring help

Post by goob_os101 »

tried to installed my boost gauge using the clock wiring. I used the red wiring from the clock and connected it to the 12v on the gauge. I used the black wire from the clock and connected it to the gauge.

when I turn the headlights on the gauge lights up, but no interior lights, radio doesn't turn on, no air, and no keyless entry.

So I then attached all wires (LIG, ACC, BAT,) together and nothing works until I turn on the headlights. :dropgob:

Any ideas?
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Clock wiring help

Post by zaxrex »

Is it a mechanical or electric gauge? If it is mechanical then you were just trying to get the illuminating light some power right? Are you splicing the wires from the gauge into the clock wires, or running the wires through the gauge in series? The wiring colors in mine don't match what you describe, so I'm not sure if Saab or Subaru made the wiring harnesses for your car (My Saab and wires = bad MoJo), but here is a list of items on the same fuse block in the Subaru:
FB-8Clock, Combination meter, Integrated module, Keyless entry control module, Luggage room light (Wagon), Radio, Room light, Security control module, Security horn relay, Spot light, Trunk room light (Sedan)
FB-9/FB-10Clock, Combination meter, Illumination light, Integrated module
FB-12ECU, Lighting switch.

Sounds like you blew a fuse. Get a fuse tester and test the ones inside the car as well as the ones in the main fuse block under the hood. Replace blown fuses. Put the wires back to the way they were before. Confirm that everything works like it should. Find the illuminated power supply, not constant or switched, and splice the pos wire from the gauge to it. Take the neg wire from the gauge and mechanically ground it to a metal attachment point. If you cant find one, then splice the wire into a known negative trunking line.

It is really a good idea to have at least a continuity tester if not a volt meter when messing with the electronics. That way you can find the right wires w/o blowing fuses and loosing your presets on the radio.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
goob_os101
DCAWD Groupie

Post by goob_os101 »

Its a manual boost gauge. There are 4 wires from the clock harness(BAT, GND, ACC, LIG). I spliced all together except the ground. It is as if I have no constant power.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

goob_os101 wrote:Its a manual boost gauge. There are 4 wires from the clock harness(BAT, GND, ACC, LIG). I spliced all together except the ground. It is as if I have no constant power.
That's a big no no....

As Zak said, you definitely have a blown fuse. First order of business is to replace that fuse. Here is the wiring specs:
R - Blue/Red
YG - Yellow/GReen
PL - Pink/Blue
B - Black

LR - runs to FB8 - runs to direct battery bus. (!You should not need this!)
YG - runs to FB26 - runs to ACC/Ignition. (Hook this and ground up to your gauge illumination if you have 12V LED bulbs. This can also be used if you need to power your gauge with 12V)
PL - runs to FB9 - runs to tail illumination relay. (Hook this and ground up to your gauge illumination if you have normal bulbs)
B - Ground.

Hope that helps!
Replace that then hook up the gauge like this
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.