Gauge selection help

What does this red wire do? Zzzzzt Oops

Moderator: Moderators

goob_os101
DCAWD Groupie

Gauge selection help

Post by goob_os101 »

Need some help choosing gauges. Please let me know what your oppinions are about the gauges:

Autometer GS gauges (boost, oil pres, water/oil temp):http://www.egauges.com/vdo_ind.asp?Type ... N=ATM-3803
or
Autometer Sport comp gauges (boost, oil pres, water/oil temp):http://www.egauges.com/vdo_ind.asp?Type ... N=ATM-3303
or
Prosport gauges (boost, oil pres, water/oil temp):http://prosportgauges.com/green-white-m ... gauge.aspx

Has anyone seen the GS gauges upclose? I like the lighting, but not sure about the anodized edge being blingy.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Gauge selection help

Post by complacent »

I've had prosport and autometer in my cars.

Prosport make some of the deepest gauges out there. It can be an issue for some installation locations. Otherwise a functional gauge for the money.

I've personally always had good luck with Autometer. I see what you mean about the blingy surround though.

I guess you could always rattle can the surrounds flat black if you don't want the shine.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
goob_os101
DCAWD Groupie

Post by goob_os101 »

do you have the green prosport? Is it too birght?
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

If anything, I'd say it isn't bright enough. If it didn't come with a sun visor thingamabob I wouldn't be able to see it in the day time.

For the price, it's okay. I don't dislike it enough to remove it, but I've had better. It's a cheap, green gauge. It works fine.
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
AJ711
Bicycle

Post by AJ711 »

I'm a member of the "you get what you pay for" club. Personally, I stayed away from the cheaper gauges. I didn't like the limited sweep they offered (at the time, though Autometer has finally got on the ball) and wanted something that looked nice and complimented the interior.

I ended up with 7 Defi D-Gauge (now the "Blue Racer" gauges) and couldn't be happier. The Blue Racer now come in Red and White LED back lit, which looks nice and both are very easy to read in the day and night.

The Pro-Comp look nice, but you may want to try the Phantom or Phantom II with the white face as they may be easier to quickly glance at and read during the day.
Cage: '98 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS, caged Uncaged: '05 Suzuki SV650S
'03 Forester XS, Team Grocery Getter
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I have an Omori boost gauge. the green is the correct shade but it's too bright. it came with a control box to change the color and brightness so I'll need to install that one of these days...

www.omoriusa.com
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Since your already at www.egauges.com, you might want to look at the VDO gauges as well.
I have the VDO boost and pyrometer gauges and have had zero issues with them.
They are clean, easy to read, well illuminated and inexpensive.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

drwrx wrote:Since your already at http://www.egauges.com, you might want to look at the VDO gauges as well.
I have the VDO boost and pyrometer gauges and have had zero issues with them.
They are clean, easy to read, well illuminated, match WRX lighting beautifully and inexpensive.

phikst. 8)
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Don't ask me. I use whatever is on a deal and care less about how it looks.

BTW I have autometer pro and they work fine. Some purists will say that the EGT probe response is a bit slow, but I don't notice it. But then again, my engine should have been blown by now twice over...
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears