Interested in HIDs (another thread on HIDs)

What does this red wire do? Zzzzzt Oops

Moderator: Moderators

wrxSIN
Bicycle

Interested in HIDs (another thread on HIDs)

Post by wrxSIN »

interested in HIDs!

Things I do know: Beam pattern, lighting color (6k 8k etc)

wondering what is needed. (ballast, power, etc)
what is the difference between single and bi xenon.
will i need different projectors since i have an 06-07 head lights. (i know beam pattern will be off etc)
which ones did idaho get?
how hard is it to install. (could i isntall them myself?)
is it even a good idea to get HIDs? (will i even see better at night)
Ebay HIDs reliable?

glanced over "general" on this website. gonna read more tommorow when it isnt late.
http://faqlight.carpassion.info/

Thanks!
ilike2startnewthreads

complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Interested in HIDs (another thread on HIDs)

Post by complacent »

Hey man,

Couple of links for ya.

First, if you do not retrofit a projector as well - your are endangering yourself and others. The "bolt-on" bulb and ballast kits are not to be used. They are illegal in every major country except here. Go figure...

There is a highly respected vendor on Nasioc who will retrofit projectors properly for you. His S/N is lightwerkz.

His website is here

This is the HID FAQ thread. It would do you some good to read through it a bit. Many questions have been answered there.
This is another forum dedicated just to HIDs, lighting, conversions, etc. Lots of good info here as well.

Short answer - Retrofitting HIDs to properly produce a safe pattern/output is not easy or cheap. Get yourself the STi parts and bolt on/wire, or send your lenses off to someone who can install projectors while maintaining adjustability. Anything else is a dangerous shortcut. Period.

Hope this helps.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

What he means is that he doesn't want the fire caused by the balasts and electricals to be brighter than the improperly reflected light that you are blinding him with as he comes the other way.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

An excellent automotive lighting resource (especially if you want to delve into the regulation aspect and differences between the U.S. and other markets) is Daniel Stern's page.

For example, once you get your HIDs you'll want to aim them properly. This page gives you step-by-step instructions on how to aim your lights in accordance with U.S. DOT regulations. The FAQ appears to be down right now but check back 'cause it's got a lot of great info.

--Alan
wrxSIN
Bicycle

Post by wrxSIN »

I see, so i guess that there is no real cheap way to get HIDs on my car. NVM then. I thought i would just be able to get some bulbs and ballast and be done, but i guess not.
ilike2startnewthreads

psmwrx
I walk to work

Post by psmwrx »

HID's can be had cheap. The problem is doing it the right way can be a pain in the a**. What kind of car do you have? Are you looking to retro fit projectors as well?

I have never used one of those kits you can buy. Are they really illegal? I know in Va. everything is. I just use factory manufacture phillips bulbs and ballast. Most people can't even tell the HID's aren't factory unless they know the car doesn't come with them, or you have them pointed sky high and blinding them.
2004 WRX Wagon (Project)
2011 F150 Lariat (Parts hauler)
1989 Ford Bronco (The other B***h)
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

reflectors made for Halogen bulbs will not allow aftermarket HID bulbs to be aimed correctly. it's a full on STi headlight conversion or blind oncoming drivers or retro-fit HID projectors.

I've done the research and decided to drop the idea. :(
wrxSIN
Bicycle

Post by wrxSIN »

yeh it seems like i will also be dropping the idea. although i have projects, i would need to retrofit lenses or soemthing, which i am not interested in. i basically wanted a Plug and play style set up.
ilike2startnewthreads

Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

wrxSIN wrote: i basically wanted a Plug and play style set up.
me too, me too. :|
psmwrx
I walk to work

Post by psmwrx »

Retro fitting is really not that difficult. Projectors can be had cheap also ($100). That plus one of those HID kits, your looking at $300. You could probably even get a seperate set of factory headlight assemblies from a board member or ebay.
2004 WRX Wagon (Project)
2011 F150 Lariat (Parts hauler)
1989 Ford Bronco (The other B***h)
wrxSIN
Bicycle

Post by wrxSIN »

anyone have experience swapping 2006 STi head lights into 2007 wrx? me and a friend tried today but they didnt work. all of the other lights worked except the HID low beams..
ilike2startnewthreads

The Gray Ghost
I walk to work

Post by The Gray Ghost »

A really good friend of mine on Import Atlanta and WRX Atlanta has a lot of great info and also HID's for sale. His s/n is Nitro on both sites. I highly recommend him. I believe he ships to anywhere in the USA. www.wrxatl.com and www.importatlanta.com. I hope that this helps you. His name is Greg btw.

Mark :D
2010 GGM LGT Premium
The Gray Ghost
I walk to work

Post by The Gray Ghost »

complacent wrote:Hey man,

Couple of links for ya.

First, if you do not retrofit a projector as well - your are endangering yourself and others. The "bolt-on" bulb and ballast kits are not to be used. They are illegal in every major country except here. Go figure...

There is a highly respected vendor on Nasioc who will retrofit projectors properly for you. His S/N is lightwerkz.

His website is here

This is the HID FAQ thread. It would do you some good to read through it a bit. Many questions have been answered there.
This is another forum dedicated just to HIDs, lighting, conversions, etc. Lots of good info here as well.

Short answer - Retrofitting HIDs to properly produce a safe pattern/output is not easy or cheap. Get yourself the STi parts and bolt on/wire, or send your lenses off to someone who can install projectors while maintaining adjustability. Anything else is a dangerous shortcut. Period.

Hope this helps.
I have heard many good things about Lightwerkz.

Mark
2010 GGM LGT Premium
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

Caesar over at lightworks is the man. He'll get you what you want.
wrxSIN
Bicycle

Post by wrxSIN »

my thread over at nasioc
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=1617102
so far...nothing!!! :cry:
ilike2startnewthreads